[1.1.x] CoolRockets! Cryo and Launch Particle FX

sarbian

Do you like it?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• No. It slows down my machine at launch. I need my CPU cycles elsewhere.
    • No. I don't like the engine effects.
    • No. I don't like the tank effects.
    • Yes. I especially like the engine effects.
    • Yes. I especially like the tank effects.
    • Yes. It even runs smoothly.
    • What is this all about?
    • I'd like to use this in my mod.
    • I'd like to contribute somehow.

Oh, I forgot that this one was your too. It kinda mesh well with SmokeScreen, so I guess I'll send you an other PM :)

That is really nice, but keep track that you don't get a burnout, that would be a real loss.

I hope someone takes it up. It might even be integrated with HotRockets into a rocket visual effect pack.

As an upside though, I like to think that in stock, Kerbal liquid fuel engines all use hydrazine. :D After all it's really convenient, except for being caustic and toxic, but hey, who cares, right?

I adjusted the config to make it work again in 0.25

I really wanted this to work. For me, it did fix the invisible-parts problem. However, the engines and fueltanks behaved as if they were larger than they actually were - so that there were gaps between connected parts.

I hope someone takes it up. It might even be integrated with HotRockets into a rocket visual effect pack.

As an upside though, I like to think that in stock, Kerbal liquid fuel engines all use hydrazine. :D After all it's really convenient, except for being caustic and toxic, but hey, who cares, right?

Caustic and toxic? Sounds like Bill's morning power-drink. It's all brown and if you don't drink it right away the glass will melt. I don't know how he can stomach the stuff, but I tried using it as a basic propellant yesterday and I got a whole 20 feet off the ground on just a cup-full of it. Then it melted the tank and proceeded to fizzle on the pavement and release noxious gasses that may have contributed to the death of a few interns, though no concrete evidence can be brought up... conveniently. But hey, if it works, lets put a bunch in a booster and see what happens!

I really wanted this to work. For me, it did fix the invisible-parts problem. However, the engines and fueltanks behaved as if they were larger than they actually were - so that there were gaps between connected parts.

You are absolutely right. There were some rescale-factors which worked pre-0.25, but not now anymore.

I fixed this, affected parts should have correct size now.

Updated file in link:

I adjusted the config to make it work again in 0.25, I want to share this, if it is not allowed for some reason I put down the link immediately.

Replace the "GameData\Klockheed_Martian_CoolRockets\stock.cfg" with this modified stock.cfg. (right click and save as to download)

That is really nice, but keep track that you don't get a burnout, that would be a real loss.

For now it's unlikely since dtobi PM box is full and I can't finish the exchange I had with him...

Edited by sarbian

• 2 weeks later...
dtobi: that's very sad, though understandable--it's a lot of work!

I'd like to use some of this in Real Fuels, if I might. Want to tie ice sheets, etc., to fuel type loaded in tanks.

Feel free to use it. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sarbian!!

Sorry to my english, I am not very good... (I am French)

So, your mod is just amazing, thanks to have make this... It's more realistic (maybe a little too much ice falling off the tanks)...

But, I have a lots of parts mods (HGR, Kethane, KOSMOS, KW Rocketry, NovaPunch2 and SpaceY lifters) and I was wondering if you had the project to actualize your mod??

Yes, updating stuff is planned. But as I said in an other thread I got busy IRL and then I caught the flu. Give me some time to get back on track :)

And I welcome any help to add support for other mods. cfg editing is not the most complex work, it's mostly time consuming.

Some news for you.

I am working on CoolRockets right now. Here his how things will go on :

- First I'll integrate the current KM_LaunchEffect modules into SmokeScreen. Mainly for backward compatibility

- Then I'll write new LaunchEffect modules that uses KSP EFFECTS nodes. This makes the config easier to maintain, allow to change the effect type easily and let us uses SmokeScreen more complex effect too.

- Lastly I'll rewrite CoolRockets cfg so they work with .25 (and hopefully .90)

This means that CoolRockets will become a cfg/models only mod that depends on SmokeScreen, like HotRockets and Real Effects.

The coding should be done this weekend.

And also moved the DL links for CoolRockets and SSE to my server. No need to hammer Dtobi dropbox now that he left.

Some news for you.

I am working on CoolRockets right now. Here his how things will go on :

- First I'll integrate the current KM_LaunchEffect modules into SmokeScreen. Mainly for backward compatibility

- Then I'll write new LaunchEffect modules that uses KSP EFFECTS nodes. This makes the config easier to maintain, allow to change the effect type easily and let us uses SmokeScreen more complex effect too.

- Lastly I'll rewrite CoolRockets cfg so they work with .25 (and hopefully .90)

This means that CoolRockets will become a cfg/models only mod that depends on SmokeScreen, like HotRockets and Real Effects.

The coding should be done this weekend.

And also moved the DL links for CoolRockets and SSE to my server. No need to hammer Dtobi dropbox now that he left.

Cool, sounds good and easy to use.

Hopefully there will not be too many changes in 0.9.

Things do not go as planned but I still managed to release something :)

So the modules are now included in SmokeScreen. I added a couple of parameters to them to allow their use without a MODEL node, but old config should still be loading and working.

The config was updated with .25 changes and uses the new parameters.

Warning : I renamed the folder to "ColdRockets" so delete the old "Klockheed_Martian_CoolRockets" folder.

I'll work on improved SmokeScreen module soon. I wrote some already but it still needs work.

The config change are really simple. You just have to move the model, position, scale, rotation and parent value from the MODEL node to the MODULE.

No need to changes the part to uses MODEL anymore. This makes writting MM patch easier for old parts.

You can also replace the x/y/zOffset and speedX/Y/Z with a offset = 1,5,6 and speed = 1,1,1. Old format are converted internally.

@PART[size3AdvancedEngine]

{

MODEL

{

model = NASAmission/Parts/Size3AdvancedEngine/Size3AdvancedEngine

scale = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0

}

MODEL

{

model = Klockheed_Martian_CoolRockets/FX/cryo-1m/model

position = 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

scale = 1, 1, 1

rotation = 0, 0, 0

parent = thrustTransform

}

MODULE

{

name = KM_PreLaunchEffect

effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1

checkBottomNode = true

width = 0.5

height = 20

xOffset = 0

yOffset = -0.6

zOffset = 0.1

numP = 40

speedX = 0

speedY = -0.2

speedZ = 0

size = 1.8

}

}

@PART[size3AdvancedEngine]

{

MODULE

{

name = KM_PreLaunchEffect

effectName = PreLaunchEffectEngine1

checkBottomNode = true

model = CoolRockets/FX/cryo-1m/model

position = 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

scale = 1, 1, 1

rotation = 0, 0, 0

parent = thrustTransform

width = 0.5

height = 20

xOffset = 0

yOffset = -0.6

zOffset = 0.1

numP = 40

speedX = 0

speedY = -0.2

speedZ = 0

size = 1.8

}

}

Edited by sarbian

Things do not go as planned but I still managed to release something :)

So the modules are now included in SmokeScreen. I added a couple of parameters to them to allow their use without a MODEL node, but old config should still be loading and working.

The config was updated with .25 changes and uses the new parameters.

Warning : I renamed the folder to "ColdRockets" so delete the old "Klockheed_Martian_CoolRockets" folder.

I'll work on improved SmokeScreen module soon. I wrote some already but it still needs work.

The config change are really simple. You just have to move the model, position, scale, rotation and parent value from the MODEL node to the MODULE.

No need to changes the part to uses MODEL anymore. This makes writting MM patch easier for old parts.

You can also replace the x/y/zOffset and speedX/Y/Z with a offset = 1,5,6 and speed = 1,1,1. Old format are converted internally.

SWEET! Time to give it a go.

I'll try to work on some KW configurations sometime this weekend... I have a question, though. Does anyone have any real-life picture of engines with the boiloff? I can easily find samples of the ice falling off the tanks (thank you, ULA, for very nice public photos). But I'm having a harder time finding pictures for the engines. I'm trying to make the effects sort of realistic.

Okay, I'm at a loss here - the newer format of configuration doesn't seem to be working? I installed Sarbian's build and the KW configuration in post #149 here. And... this is what I got:

tblaK94.png

The older-style configuration is working, but the newer one isn't. I also tried modified versions of the KW configuration that changed to the new-style configuration, with similar (non-working) result.

I'll try to work on some KW configurations sometime this weekend... I have a question, though. Does anyone have any real-life picture of engines with the boiloff? I can easily find samples of the ice falling off the tanks (thank you, ULA, for very nice public photos). But I'm having a harder time finding pictures for the engines. I'm trying to make the effects sort of realistic.

I found 2 images, hope this helps you.

From NASA website

From Wikipedia

This is a cryogenic engine, not to mention it's running. BTW, all the pics you posted are actually from test stands, which do not accurately represent how the engines actually look when mounted on a rocket. On a Shuttle, for example, the boiloff comes from a pipe on the SSME nozzle, and not somewhere from the top (or the inside of the nozzle, for that matter).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.