Larger parts are coming to KSP!

gutza1

I can hardly wait to asparagus-stage some giant-size tanks and watch the catastrophe unfold as they collapse under their own weight thanks to the fact that radial decouplers are barely up to the job of handling the current max tank sizes, let alone something 6 times heavier. I just hope that we get a suitable super-sized Skipper equivalent to go with that super-sized Mainsail equivalent. Seriously, the Skipper is the perfect companion to the orange tank for radial-mount liquid boosters.

Of course that is awful. There is seemingly no intelligible pattern to making things not fall off. Sometimes it just works, usually it doesn't.

I'm happy that this will be a thing of the past. The thing that made me appreciate the awfulness slightly tho was the fact that I had been playing with RSS lately, and the fact that couldn't get more than 40 tons to orbit with a reasonable launcher made me appreciate the just how hard real space exploration is.

He could also have meant the diameter of the core tank vs the diameter of a jumbo tanks with 6 additional radial jumbo tanks.

With all these interpretations the diameter could be anthing from 1:1 scale to half =P

If he just meant size why would he have also mentioned the jumbos were Asparagus staged?

To me it means the standard asparagus stage with 6 jumbos around the center Jumbo with mainsails on all will be replaced in both size and efficiency by the new tank and what ever engine or engines attaches to it.

If he just meant size why would he have also mentioned the jumbos were Asparagus staged?

To me it means the standard asparagus stage with 6 jumbos around the center Jumbo with mainsails on all will be replaced in both size and efficiency by the new tank and what ever engine or engines attaches to it.

I'm going to hope and pray that's the case, as a full asparagus stack is about 8 meters across. if it's that big, then the SLS replica will NOT be scaled down and that'd just be insane.

Because an asparagus staged rocket needs the tanks to be mounted side by side instead of stacking them, thus you get a rocket which is 7.5 to 9 meters wide depending on what decoupler you use.

My point tho was that if there are multiple ways of interpreting what he said, then what he said doesn't' support any particular size, and we just have to wait and see :)

7.5 to 9 meters would be a little ridiculous, IMHO. Instant lifter for just about anything.

"replacing 6 tanks" to me, suggests it's going to be containing 6 tanks worth of fuel, and six tanks worth of weight.

This suggest it will be six times the volume.

Therefore, the dimensions could range from (compared to a jumbo) 1x the height, and 6 times the with; or 6 times the height, and the same with.

7.5 to 9 meters would be a little ridiculous, IMHO. Instant lifter for just about anything.

"replacing 6 tanks" to me, suggests it's going to be containing 6 tanks worth of fuel, and six tanks worth of weight.

This suggest it will be six times the volume.

Therefore, the dimensions could range from (compared to a jumbo) 1x the height, and 6 times the with; or 6 times the height, and the same with.

Except that volume of a cylinder is proportional to radius squared times height. So you'd only need to multiply the width and height by 1.82. Or multiply the width by 2.45 and keep the height the same.

Except that volume of a cylinder is proportional to radius squared times height. So you'd only need to multiply the width and height by 1.82. Or multiply the width by 2.45 and keep the height the same.

Do'h! My bad.

I was thinking circumference formula instead of area formula.

Still, that sounds more of a reasonable size for a tank.

I'm sure the devs know what they're doing, but currently the game is pretty well balanced, given the reduced size of the solar system and planets, for lifting and transfers with the current rockets. If there's suddenly a single tank and single engine that's equivalent to an entire asparagus staged heavy lifter, it seems it would be very easy to unbalance the game. Put one in orbit (because now you can build even heavier lifters, by aspargusing these new tanks and engines), and there's no need to build efficiently to get to Jool or Moho or wherever; you suddenly have an embarrassment of fuel and thrust.

The biggest implication of the new, bigger rocket parts is that Werhner von Kermin will soon become a zillionaire. Despite the tech tree being totally unlocked for some time, he's still been investing heavily in science point futures. Looks like that was a smart market strategy :).

Larger fuel tanks would definitely be welcome.

The ratio of engine-power to fuel capacity is way out of sync with what we have in real life.

In KSP the biggest engine is able to lift around 3 of the largest fuel tanks.

In real life, the saturn 5 had a fuel tank so large it required 5 of the largest engines to lift it.

I don't know if there's going to be a new engine with these new parts, but even if there isn't..... a 6x capacity orange tank would be perfect for making Saturn 5 style engine clusters using mainsails.

Curious to see what tiberion does with novapunch if squad adds 3.75 and 5m parts. Novapunch has those sizes. Also to build true saturn v wed need i think up to 10m parts.

Yes, if we were doing 1:1. However, this isnt the case. Converting real rockets to KSP usually downsizes the rockets to about 64% of real size. Because of how OP that is, and the size system KSP uses, the general size used for a Saturn V is 5m, though if we were to follow the above scale it would come to 6.4m. (That doesnt really work though, at least not for stock compatability, because stock uses multiples and half of 1.25m, so the nearest size would be 6.25m. This has been worked out to be incredibly OP though, and it is a size too large for an apollo replica.)

I don't think larger parts are needed. A new size set will require a whole bunch of adaptors and matching parts, like reaction wheels and decouplers etc.

I doubt they will be needed for the NASA DLC mission anyhow. Seems you only need to do solar rendezvous and nudge an asteroid. Some improvements to maneuver nodes is all that is needed for that.

I don't think larger parts are needed. A new size set will require a whole bunch of adaptors and matching parts, like reaction wheels and decouplers etc.

I doubt they will be needed for the NASA DLC mission anyhow. Seems you only need to do solar rendezvous and nudge an asteroid. Some improvements to maneuver nodes is all that is needed for that.

Yeah. You have no idea how much mass and inertia an asteroid has, do you? Not only are these things really heavy, they are also on really eccentric orbits. They even said that the asteroids would be at least 10m to 30m across. It's not like an asteroid belt they are adding, what they are doing is creating randomly spawning "Near Kerbin Objects", AKA the hundreds and possibly thousands of asteroids that cross earth's orbit IRL. There are plans for asteroids in a belt near and around Dres, but this is meant to mimic what NASA plans to do. Which is grab a Near Earth Asteroid, and do some crazy orbital switches and slingshots to bring it into an earth orbit, and then up to low lunar orbit.

I want to know the ISP of the new engine, mainsail has 330s in vacuum which is a pretty bad one, so, if the new engine is more powerful, will it be less efficient?

Well, that probably depends on it's TWR, which appears to be the biggest factor in that determine the ISP in KSP. I would assume that if the TWR is higher than a mainsail, it will have a lower vacuum ISP, like 315.

But... on the other hand, we will almost certainly get the RS-25 engine in the NASA pack.

Vacuum ISP: 452

TWR: 60

Yum XD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.