Kerbal Construction Time/StageRecovery Dev Thread

magico13

And after several tests I realized I forgot to install the base mod first before the recompiled DLL. DOH!! Ok, lets try that again but WITH the rest of the mod installed first this time :P

Usually helps to include the rest of the data ;) It was a surprisingly simple update, which undoubtedly means that nothing works right. I'll be doing some testing myself in a bit.

Edit: Initial StageRecovery tests seem to indicate go for launch! Just tested basic functionality and it seemed ok. Definitely discrepancies in actual terminal velocities, even with parachutes. SR predicts about 1 m/s higher in the two tests I did (just command pod it predicted 6m/s but the pod landed at 5m/s [i think], pod+flea predicted 7m/s and landed at 6m/s). On the off chance it might be related to difficulty settings, I was on Easy mode.

Edit2: New SR build (#12) that uses stock heating instead of requiring DR (just checks that heating is > 0%, difficulty doesn't scale with the setting though). Otherwise pretty much the same. I'm going to move to KCT and also throw in RealChutes.

Edit2: RealChutes still works well (thankfully). Estimates for touchdown speed look like they might be spot on with RC rather than Stock.

Edited by magico13

Another KCT build (108) with several bug fixes and other changes. I'm tired, so I'll just post the github commit as explanation. We'll probably release tomorrow but it'd be nice to get some other feedback before hand.

Removed special surprise. Possibly fixed issue with random explosions when switching vessels during simulations. Fixed some weirdness with the main gui and buttons. Fixed centering of certain windows (#66). Added try/catch around code that recovers vessels to inventory. Made building upgrades not happen until switching back to space center view (should fix issues with them not occuring properly).

Amazing, installing the entire thing makes it work better ;) So far things are working well in both SR and KCT. Did notice in SR failures the hue of the red text can be a little difficult to read. Maybe a deep burgundy may give the desired effect with greater readability. Will continue to test a while longer before the need for sleep takes over ;)

So, playing around with the dev version of KCT, hit a brick wall. KCT does not give you the option of loading Kerbal tourists into your craft to complete your tourism contracts. :P

I can confirm this. I am now broke and unable to finish my 2 only missions:P

I'll get a fix out for that when I get home today. Should hopefully be a simple fix, but not simple enough that I can make the change without testing first. So if you can wait 8 hours or so then I'll have it fixed :P In the meantime, might want to go into the debug menu and give yourself a bit of cash to let you cancel one of those contracts (or you can complete the contract through there as well)

It might be good, if possible, that if you have a tourism contract to keep at last one to be able to use it in testing with the update planned for later today. This will allow for more sure immediate testing of if the fix does the trick without having to wait and hope for one to be offered. :)

No idea if this is due to SR mechanics, stock mechanics or indeed a bug, but I am currently testing out the NewStock with only SR#12 installed.

Upon launching, in 0.9, if "Debris" (SRBs with parachutes) reached the 2.5 render distance, it would instantly validate for SR.

Now, they can extend to 20+km without qualifying? Which often leads to a few explosions rather than recovered parts :P

Am i just being a noob about new render distances for Stock? Or is there a genuine query here to investigate?

SR is the 1 mod i cannot do without =P

Am i just being a noob about new render distances for Stock? Or is there a genuine query here to investigate?

In 1.0 they upped the physics range to 22.5 km or so, so SR won't kick in until then. To help with the explosions, I'm planning on having SR automatically deploy parachutes on unfocused craft when they reach the right altitude, I just haven't coded that up yet. So it doesn't sound like there's any real issue, you'll just have to deploy chutes when you decouple until I get that code in :)

In 1.0 they upped the physics range to 22.5 km or so, so SR won't kick in until then. To help with the explosions, I'm planning on having SR automatically deploy parachutes on unfocused craft when they reach the right altitude, I just haven't coded that up yet. So it doesn't sound like there's any real issue, you'll just have to deploy chutes when you decouple until I get that code in :)

All the more reason for more to use RealChutes! Set them to arm in action groups with decoupling and stage using action groups! Been doing this for a while just for that reason. And now back to your regularly scheduled planned unrapid assembly development.

P.s. So far so good with the dev build of KCT and SR other than the mentioned issues thus far. Though i must admit I can't play KSP with FAR so I have quit 1.0 till it's updated.

Okay, thanks for the info! I thought i recall a new physics range mentioned.

I have indeed been staging with parachutes now, but for some reason, Radial Decouplers+Chutes don't deploy them, although within the same stage. Stock issue, though, but including Auto-chutes on unfocused crafts sounds like a really good idea! Keep up the good work! =)

Build 109 of KCT should now support adding Tourists in the Crew Select window. They should default to being last in line. I've got a few tiny changes to StageRecovery, then will likely do a full release of that.

Edit: SR is good now I think. Changed that red color to a red-orange which is MUCH easier to read and still conveys the right feeling of loss. No auto-parachute deployment yet, but that can probably wait since it'll require a bit of extra work and isn't totally needed.

KCT should be good now too. Tourists should be cleared for launch and the only other recent changes have been visual quality of life things. I can do more in terms of tracking down bugs, but it's already better than the last 0.90 release with regards to bugs and I'd like to get a 1.0 release out.

Edit2: Releases StageRecovery v1.5.4. Thanks everyone! I'll wait just a bit longer on KCT until I get confirmations about Tourism contracts.

Edited by magico13

And just because I can't get enough with this whole modding thing, I just wrote a new Modlet called Sensible Screenshot which makes your screenshots use a unique, date and time based, filename rather than the default "screenshot_#" format. No more trouble when merging Screenshots folders when backing things up!

If you want to try that out, please do so!

Maybe I've done something stupid during the installation (I've downloaded KCT 1.1.5 from release thread and replaced the .dll file with build 110 from dev thread), but if I use Blizzy's toolbar clicking on the button doesn't open KCT's windows...

Maybe I've done something stupid during the installation (I've downloaded KCT 1.1.5 from release thread and replaced the .dll file with build 110 from dev thread), but if I use Blizzy's toolbar clicking on the button doesn't open KCT's windows...

Oops. I probably broke that when I was trying to fix some other GUI related issues. Good catch! I'll get that fixed up and probably will release the update tonight. Might make the window draggable again when using Blizzy's toolbar since it doesn't make sense to leave it locked in the top right then.

Just got in from an exam so haven't been able to confirm if it is a stock or KCT problem, but noticed while testing last night when an aircraft spawned on the runway it seemed to be slightly low causing it to bounce up, especially the nose. If this can be checked to confirm or rule out before I can do so that would be great :)

Update: Aircraft on runway bounce is in stock as well, not a KCT issue.

Edited by JeffreyCor

Noticed a minor issue. If the KCT window had a tab open when the screen changes, hovering over the KCT stock tool the display that usually results from moving over the icon causes the KCT window to stick open until the button is clicked to keep it open and then clicked again to close it.

Noticed a minor issue. If the KCT window had a tab open when the screen changes, hovering over the KCT stock tool the display that usually results from moving over the icon causes the KCT window to stick open until the button is clicked to keep it open and then clicked again to close it.

I did a quick one line fix that should hopefully stop that from happening. Literally just added "clicked = false;" to the hideAll() function.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.