New Way to cool a computer

pat8996

Did this help cool your laptop?  

1. 1. Did this help cool your laptop?

The new way to cool a computer (perferably Laptop)!

Step 1 play intill your computer shut's down on you

Step 2 If you have a Fridge or Freezer near by, unplug computer (if you play on the computer with it pluged in).

Step 3 Pick up computer take over to fridge/freezer, open the fridge/freezer, stick computer in where there's room for it then close the fridge/freezer.

Step 4 wait 00:00:30 - 00:01:00

Step 5 reopen the fridge/freezer pull computer out plugin press power button and play some more!

(i discovered this TODAY!)

I have a feeling that unless you live in a very dry climate you're going to run into problems with condensation quickly. Also rapid temperature cycling isn't the greatest for your battery (the matrix shrinks/expands and over time this causes damage which leads to loss of performance). Use with caution!

Otherwise, congrats on discovering that fridges cool things, I suppose :)

my computer is a freezer.

many times ive owned laptops. and many times i realized that i never took advantage of the fact that it is portable. so these days i just stick to desktops, which have some room for some cooling hardware that doesnt suck.

id also be somewhat concerned with condensation.

Edited by Nuke

Rapid cooling of hot metal components will kill your computer in very short time, save yourself a lot of money by buying a decent cooler, or it's going to be a case of replacing pretty much all of it.

EDIT, you did remind me of a good tip though.

If your hard drive dies putting it in the freezer for a few minutes (in a plastic bag) can get it working long enough to get your data off.

This is a very bad idea. If you have a traditional hard drive you will experience a failure very soon. Unless you have a special ruggedized hard drive (Pretty sure you don't) The most likely the specified minimum operating temperature is 0C. And as others have stated. Condensation will be very bad unless you live in a really dry climate and you will have more shutdowns due to condensation than you would've had with heat issues to begin with.

Okay, here's a clever cooling system. My stepdad and I rigged the downstairs gaming computer with a liquid cooling system, then routed teh output of that do a dorm fridge which we relocated the heat sink for to the other side of the exterior wall. That thing never breaks 80*F running NVidia GeForce GT 680 and a quad core i7 factory overclocked at 3.6GHz.

Exhibit A: Good Idea

Okay, here's a clever cooling system. My stepdad and I rigged the downstairs gaming computer with a liquid cooling system, then routed teh output of that do a dorm fridge which we relocated the heat sink for to the other side of the exterior wall. That thing never breaks 80*F running NVidia GeForce GT 680 and a quad core i7 factory overclocked at 3.6GHz.

Exhibit B: Bad Idea

Step 3 Pick up computer take over to fridge/freezer, open the fridge/freezer, stick computer in where there's room for it then close the fridge/freezer.

Step 1 play intill your computer shut's down on you

Step 2 If you have a Fridge or Freezer near by, unplug computer (if you play on the computer with it pluged in).

Step 4 wait 00:00:30 - 00:01:00

Step 5 reopen the fridge/freezer pull computer out plugin press power button and play some more!

(i discovered this TODAY!)

Congratulations on discovering Thermodynamics. Also, has people have mentioned, this is extremely bad for your system. This will cause condensation, which short circuit and corrode your computer. This could also cause various hot metal components to expand and contract quicker than they should (read, causing cracks), not to mention the damage done to both your screen and your battery.

Just use a cooling pad?

Laptops shouldnt shutdown on you. If they are you either overclocked it with a bad chasis (clevo) or it needs a clean

Exactly. Computers will shut themselves down to protect themselves from overheating. The OP correctly identified the problem of the system overheating. But the solution doesn't work. The OP really needs to either:

1) Clean the dust out of the system.

2) Replace the system fan if it's no longer spinning.

3) Reseat and re-grease the heat sink.

I hate to burst your bubble, but it's really not that clever. Dell computers did this a few years ago by having Delphi inc. (the Mopar of General Motors) design a full radiator unit for the Dell XPS 720 H2C edition, combined with a low wattage thermal electric cooling unit and a liquid coolant, the details of which Dell is extremely protective of.

By the way, cooling a CPU down below ambient temperature causes condensation. There are actually gaps in the CPU and the CPU socket in which condensation can form; these things are not designed to be cooled that way.

By the way, cooling a CPU down below ambient temperature causes condensation. There are actually gaps in the CPU and the CPU socket in which condensation can form; these things are not designed to be cooled that way.

Yeah I thought of that, but I assumed he'd turn it off when not in use. But then I thought, how does he turn the cooling system off. Do you just power down the fridge when not in use?

Hehe that's mean! Only in the way that you can now charge your phones so much quicker than your friends I mean!

Also, I do like how OP includes helpful directions such as 'open/close fridge' :)

Seriously though, don't do that (the laptop or the phone thing)

Well in overclocking cooling there is such thing called a phase change cooler that skips the air in the fridge by directly putting its cooling coil to the CPU, but everyone that use that use some heavy insulation to prevent condensation

Never use your "laptop" on a soft surface, including your lap. This is why they are officially called "notebook" computers. Soft surfaces will block the airflow openings leading to overheating. KSP gives me a pretty hot exhaust stream ( I should try to keep my coffee cup in the stream) but never a slowdown or shutdown, because:

The first thing I did when I got my first laptop was to cut a slightly bigger piece of plywood to fit underneath it, so the openings are never covered no matter where I put it. I also drilled a bunch of holes in it for fun (the plywood, not the notebook). Of course, you can always buy a laptop cooler to put it on, I see one at NCIX for C$20

No, all you have to do is just put it into a tub of ice water, that cools it down very quickly. Be sure not to unplug it, the ionization of the water from all the electricity in it helps to clean out dust!

Edited by NovaSilisko

No, all you have to do is just put it into a tub of ice water, that cools it down very quickly. Be sure not to unplug it, the ionization of the water from all the electricity in it helps to clean out dust!

I know, doesn't this work so well? Almost as good as the microwave trick

/sarcasm

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.