Singularity Research Initiative - dev thread

Daemoria

7600 is to large for most people, and a place i can see having a great impact from removing them is the end of the engine bells on the outside. It looks like there is way to much detail there for so little to see. Just my 2 cents and a dime to boot, for your great work.

The grill is going to stay, that's my main holding point. Without the mesh detail you wouldn't have the level of lighting detail like in the render. It can still be optimized further tho.

I'll try to shave off a couple thousand tris somehow, the areas mentioned are good starting points, I should've handled that before I uploaded the file... I guess lack of sleep is affecting my ability to optimize meshes. I keep forgetting how much detail I can add in normal maps.

Now if there were only a LOD (Level of Detail) system in KSP, all of this argument would be pointless. le'sigh. ÈÂÆ«ÈÂ

Edited by Daemoria

Off the top of my head on what you can remove:

All the stuff on top, turn it to decal. 99% of the time, you won't see it anyway.

The little rivet-like things on the bottom between the engines, get rid of them, turn to decal.

Turn most of the engine pump details into texture decal.

See if you can reduce the poly count on those big spheres.

Turn some of the exterior details of the engine nozzles to decals.

7600 isn't horrible. This isn't 2001. Character models in games like CoD are over 30,000 tris.

There are places this could be optimized, though.

opti.jpg

Removing some of these edgeloops will help a lot. The meshes should still bake out fine, even with the lower tricount. Just make sure you're UV'ing properly along seams and apply smoothing groups based on the UV islands. It should come out clean. :D

testestestest. is this thing on? Wow, that's a pain to get embedded.

Does anyone know a good target triangle count for parts like this? I'm sitting at approximately 7600 tris. Is that too much for a 2.5 meter engine part?

Edit; just an example of adding more rocket. Click me. Because more thrust is always better.

7600 is not bad. I believe the Mainsail is around 8000 tris.

7600 isn't horrible. This isn't 2001. Character models in games like CoD are over 30,000 tris.

There are places this could be optimized, though.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1482056/opti.jpg

Removing some of these edgeloops will help a lot. The meshes should still bake out fine, even with the lower tricount. Just make sure you're UV'ing properly along seams and apply smoothing groups based on the UV islands. It should come out clean. :D

STUBBLES! -hugs-

sorry your name was just too silly to go without hugging... (should probably put in my sig that i hug people with werid profile names...)

also i think your mod is AWESOME! can't wait for beta! -drools-

The polycount is probably fine considering the sparsity of geometry in general in the game, but a lot of the smaller details aren't really needed at all. Chamfers are a minor detail that just chomp through polygons like nothing else, and they're rarely going to be noticed on the size of details you've put half of them on.

Stubbles covered most of it.

Looking forward to see some delicious bakes and textures soon.

Right, thanks for the advice everyone. I managed to shave off the tris a bit. It now sits at 5688 triangles, with minimal changes to silhouette.

Also...progress!

SRIenginetest_zps2544ffec.png

Hot off the manufacturing macro-lathes from our contractors at Green Skull Inc.

Edited by Daemoria

Right, thanks for the advice everyone. I managed to shave off the tris a bit. It now sits at 5688 triangles, with minimal changes to silhouette.

Also...progress!

SNIP

Hot off the manufacturing macro-lathes from our contractors at Green Skull Inc.

*Faits from excitement* Holy crap that's awesome! Now to get some texture on it!

I really like the models you have up to now, i will defidently be using your pack when it comes out. Btw im working on my own parts pack and was hoping for some pointers regarding the tris count from someone as experienced as you. Whats your tris count targets you are working with for the different parts?. They seem quite detailed, im guessing the 3x engine has a tris count of atleast around 12k? Perhaps you are thinking of using them as high poly bases for normalmap generation on a low poly model?

I just dont know how high i can go without breaking framerates for most users. For reference most of my models weigh in at around 6k. But the most complicated ones are somewhat higher (im mostly worried about a really complex animated docking port that has just over 10k and an also really complex landing leg with 5k tris each and this is without any of the truss bars. With simple cubic truss bars the tris count goes up to 8k, originally i used 6 sided cylinders for a really high total. Tho i am thinking i could use an alpha channel transparency for them as suggested by nertea. Most other small details can easily be done with normalmaps) my colliders are really simple tho. Usually only totaling around 30-100 tris(can i go much higher?) My parts are currently ranging from 3.75m to 10m so they are quite big.

Edit: ok i read through the latest few pages and found a lot of good info on tris counts. Im still wondering what the "roof" is for parts like docking ports and landing legs and stuff that often are mounted several places on a vessel. I may be working with too high amounts of sides too.. currently using 24 sides for 3.75m parts. 32 sides for 5m parts and clamped it at 48 sides for the rest (mainly because i havent decided on scale yet)

Edited by landeTLS