Singularity Research Initiative - dev thread

Daemoria

Mother of God...

Definitely keeping an eye on this thread. Would hire you in a second if I had any money and/or a game studio. Someone got a million dollars they don't need?

I just want to go on the record and say that art I did for AFF is ancient (5+ years old or so), typically internal dev only, and doesn't represent even half of my current skill. It's almost painful to see some of those designs again...:sealed:

Progress continues on the low poly front, hampered by irl work. The second stage of the rocket is in-game now, and being balanced by skilled code monkeys.

As to the request for station parts, I don't have any plans for them at this moment, instead I'm focusing more on rocket and SSTO design pieces. I suppose you can make a decent refueling station with the large UCA (universal container assembly) pieces. What other purposes do stations serve in a typical KSP game?

Hell yes! Daemoria should totally do that :D

Incidentally, your AFF designs (especially the Aesir and Vanir) are some of my favorite spaceship designs, ever--don't be too hard on your old work.

Edited by Sauron

I never liked the aesthetics for Star Citizen, the art direction for that game is absolutely f&**'d. They follow the rule of 'if its a surface, cover it with detail', antithesis of my semi-balanced detail styling. It's not stopping two of my friends from my AFF dev days are actually working on a entry, and it doesn't look half bad. So who knows, maybe the modders can make it into a halfway decent looking game.

Now, Elite: Dangerous...I wouldn't mind working for those guys. They know how to do art direction.

I unfortunately don't have the time to devote to another full time job, so applying for the content creator position for SQUAD at this time is most likely out of the question. I want to keep this total conversion from turning into vapor-ware. In addition, it's very vague what they're asking for exactly, is the artist going to be responsible for coming up with new style buildings/parts, or maintaining the current (haphazard) styling? I wish there was a little FAQ section.

I never liked the aesthetics for Star Citizen, the art direction for that game is absolutely f&**'d. They follow the rule of 'if its a surface, cover it with detail', antithesis of my semi-balanced detail styling. It's not stopping two of my friends from my AFF dev days are actually working on a entry, and it doesn't look half bad. So who knows, maybe the modders can make it into a halfway decent looking game.

Now, Elite: Dangerous...I wouldn't mind working for those guys. They know how to do art direction.

I unfortunately don't have the time to devote to another full time job, so applying for the content creator position for SQUAD at this time is most likely out of the question. I want to keep this total conversion from turning into vapor-ware. In addition, it's very vague what they're asking for exactly, is the artist going to be responsible for coming up with new style buildings/parts, or maintaining the current (haphazard) styling? I wish there was a little FAQ section.

"Content creator at squad" is about on par with "defense against the dark arts teacher at Hogwarts", in that you'll join and totally disappear shortly afterwards after producing almost nothing :P

"Content creator at squad" is about on par with "defense against the dark arts teacher at Hogwarts", in that you'll join and totally disappear shortly afterwards after producing almost nothing :P

The staff turnaround is ridiculous, and that doesn't just apply to content designers. I've lived through three community managers so far.

The staff turnaround is ridiculous, and that doesn't just apply to content designers. I've lived through three community managers so far.

Yeah... they need to do something about their talent retention, and without delay.

Agree absolutely on art direction of Elite vs. SC, and it's one of the reasons I'm baffled that the latter made ten times the money.

I just want to go on the record and say that art I did for AFF is ancient (5+ years old or so), typically internal dev only, and doesn't represent even half of my current skill. It's almost painful to see some of those designs again...:sealed:

Progress continues on the low poly front, hampered by irl work. The second stage of the rocket is in-game now, and being balanced by skilled code monkeys.

As to the request for station parts, I don't have any plans for them at this moment, instead I'm focusing more on rocket and SSTO design pieces. I suppose you can make a decent refueling station with the large UCA (universal container assembly) pieces. What other purposes do stations serve in a typical KSP game?

They will be serving as command and control points, as well as major refueling hubs and resource processing centers, and SCIENCE!

I know this has been said a million times already but the really need to go 64 bit so the memory cap is not an issue, I say that be cause i'm currently running the texture reduction pack to run all the mods and the amazing work done here would end up wasted due to the texture reduction.

Amazing looking stuff.

They only just announced that Unity 5 is on it's way!! So yes they are going 64bit!! For squad the big issue with going 64bit is the fact that there had to be a version of unity that supported 64bit for windows in the first place!!

We'll see KSP 64bit likely before the end of the year.....

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/18/unity-5-unveiled-at-gdc-2014/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

They only just announced that Unity 5 is on it's way!! So yes they are going 64bit!! For squad the big issue with going 64bit is the fact that there had to be a version of unity that supported 64bit for windows in the first place!!

We'll see KSP 64bit likely before the end of the year.....

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/03/18/unity-5-unveiled-at-gdc-2014/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Bout time they caught up with everyone else :P