Singularity Research Initiative - dev thread

Daemoria

AntiMatter001/LostElement/all others, soon. At the very least, it'll be out before Half Life 2 Episode 3 releases. I'm working with everyone to ensure a quality release. The people who volunteered earlier will get first crack at breaking the beta/their graphics cards.

space_kraken.png

Pictured here are some of my team. The very latest in fashion from Black Skull, and the Space Kraken providing on-site 'tech support'. :]

Yay for random doodles.

I wouldn't mind helping out if you ever need it, Daemoria. I have a bit of experience with unity, and can test out your stuff if you want. (The first thing I will do with anything is see how well it makes a cannon or a missile though, so be warned. After those all important tests however, I will try to use it for it's intended purpose. ^_^)

AntiMatter001/LostElement/all others, soon. At the very least, it'll be out before Half Life 2 Episode 3 releases. I'm working with everyone to ensure a quality release. The people who volunteered earlier will get first crack at breaking the beta/their graphics cards.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8424612/KSP/space_kraken.png

Pictured here are some of my team. The very latest in fashion from Black Skull, and the Space Kraken providing on-site 'tech support'. :]

Yay for random doodles.

Who's this Black Skull guy? Sounds kinda shady to me...

Ack, sorry about that Green Skull. I keep picturing your name and your logo, and the black being primary color... At least you're not in the same situation as Lack, he's stuck in the mothership as its about to be eaten by the Kraken.

Daemoria, you really ought to turn those three outboard secondary motors into one of the signature parts of your mod, and perhaps give them more variety.

They'd be perfect for higher tech levels giving you fun stuff like a modified version that turbo-boosts their thrust by adding in a small tank of CFl3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride) to give them a thrust number comparable to main engines, or things like a multidirectional winglet/control surface, or turn them into an interstage connector point that extends out radially to attack multiple stacks underneath a stage.

And, I'd love to see them get repeated on larger stages and in different numbers as well. Like a 1 meter with 2 or 4 of mounting points for the system, or a 2 meter with 2, 4, or 6, and so on and so forth. And a five meter version that does the same with these secondary engines in the 1 meter size (crazy thrust?). You might even design a interstage from 2 to 1 meters with spots for them that would let you use these things as braking thrusters or seperatrons mounted directly into the interstage.

Basically, crazy customization of your parts.

CptRichardson, do you suggest I deliberately put invisible poisonous explosive gas on my rockets? I like the cut of your jib matey. As to all the other points you bring up, yea the radial modules would be perfect for breaking up the shape language even more. If you go a few pages back or look at the concept gallery, you'll find an image for 'carapace modules'. The plan is there for the radial mounts, but it still needs some thinking on. Specifically to cut down the permutations of pieces down to something reasonable so as to not fill the VAB parts list.

Yea, I thought about IVA, and it made my head hurt. The IVA is a whole new can of worms, for the amount of effort versus the return (most players don't ever go into IVA in my understanding) I don't think I should focus too much effort on it on this first release pass.

But since you posed the question, I figured I'd have a try and see what the t1 pod ( the glowing heatfin/soyuz wannabe) would look like on the inside.

CgHHMXI.png

Edited by Daemoria

Yea, I thought about IVA, and it made my head hurt. The IVA is a whole new can of worms, for the amount of effort versus the return (most players don't ever go into IVA in my understanding)

it depends.the one iva ive used the most is the fasa.its windows are positioned perfectly ... I love docking with that one and of course landings with alcor.The kso iva is probably the best so far and I always fly it from the iva,exept when I drop back to ksp to land.The more visibility or the more mdfs a pod has the more I use its iva.If the iva is unique and provides lots of usefull stuff +im assuming that if you went into the trouble youd make a good one ->I would definitely spend most of my flight time in it.You must have seen the orbiters iva.the costum mdfs the hud and all other nice details in it make you wanna do everything from in there.

though the truth is that I use my iva when I launch special missions(first landing on new planets,first visit on planets orbit,assembling first space station on new planets orbit...).when im grinding my space development I just put in the manouvers in mechjeb and let it do its job while im cleaning the house or cooking or whatever...lolz. Hmmm best to focus on the parts first but remember that good ivas are the cherry on top.look at the alcor pod,other than being beautifully white its major selling point when it first came out was its iva with all those mfds.

that's it.just thinking out loud over here.But if I had to choose then I prefer rocket **** over cockpit ****.

edit:what? that word is a bad word? porm(with an "n").

Edited by techstepman

I see you sorted out the thread Daemoria. On other notes, I agree about the radial engines. Man, this thread has been getting a lot of attention recently.

Yeah, I've been trying to say that for a while, but it's been forever since I was on the forums. And not so much 'engines' strictly as 'modular radial system'. Because you could have the maneuvering engines they are now (ish), or liquid fueled RCS blocks, or aerospike winglets/normal winglets, or the bases for hybrid rocket motors that pull oxidizer from the main tank into their combustion chambers, or solar panel array deployers for final stages, or *gaaaaaaasp- and is shut up by rocket awesome*

In short, your big draw is the way you've accidentally set everything up to be customized, from the potential for advanced 1 meter pods based around the general silhouette with new 'chutes and other components installable, to engine systems like yours where everything from the main driver to the radial boost assisters could be potentially upgraded, to your planned titan rockets, and everything else. Moreso than your actual designs (which are cool as hell).

In short, you're the KSP's Russian counterpart.

I like that idea.

Yea, I thought about IVA, and it made my head hurt. The IVA is a whole new can of worms, for the amount of effort versus the return (most players don't ever go into IVA in my understanding) I don't think I should focus too much effort on it on this first release pass.

Most players don't do into IVA because most IVA's (including some of the stock ones) are terrible. However, if a mod provides an excellent IVA (like for example the KSO or the ALCOR pod) then people use them a lot!

SP×Ãâ€ÃÅ¡IÃËœG äF PSíæDä-ïæSSIÃâ€Ãâ„¢, Häè'S THIS?:sticktongue:

Really?You call this Russian? It looks like Greek-Ukrainian mix. Russian looks like this: ßþчõüу ýõ ôðют трþфõø, чтþñы òÑÂõ, чтþ òы рð÷рðñþтúø SRI?

just realised it looks almost the same XD. Anyway Daemoria wouldn't you mind if i change my signature to have a BIG ADVERTISING OF YOUR MOD?

Edited by cziken20

testestestest. is this thing on? Wow, that's a pain to get embedded.

Does anyone know a good target triangle count for parts like this? I'm sitting at approximately 7600 tris. Is that too much for a 2.5 meter engine part?

Edit; just an example of adding more rocket. Click me. Because more thrust is always better.

Edited by Daemoria

You mean 7600 traingles on model? That looks like a lot. Why don't you on flat nn-curved surfaces make a plane? A single square if you know what i mean. It would reduce the count a bit. Correct me if i am wrong, i don't know alot about modelling.

I don't want to add an unsourced statement to the pile but yeah, 7600 tris is about 5x too much for an engine model like that. I think the stock KSP engines are around 1200 tris each which is a good number to aim for.