Singularity Research Initiative - dev thread

Daemoria

I really like this art style. It makes me think of what would have happened if the Cold War had not ended, and Korolyev, Chelomei & Co had actually built their 'more on the mad side' rocket designs. This is the sort of stuff we would have flying now if the Soviet Union still existed right now, and maybe the not-so-distant future. Old Russian designs with a bit of Sci Fi.

Question: Can I please be a play tester? I can test on a Mac Book Pro? Please?

Arts... I wish i will never have it iny my entire life. My teacher once said that "we are undisiplined and we are going to have theory lesson". I wanted to shout "YES! FINALLY A ********** THEORY LESSON! F*** DRAWING! I HATE YOU!"....... Well that's my opinion about arts lesson :P I actually like art and other things, but lesson pisses me off. (every day i wish good luck for the man which made arts lesson in my country be only in primary school) Why can't we have "Computer art" with modelling 'n stuff? Or maybe at least a computer which would handle KSP? OR AT LEAST ANY GAME! *goes to shut into a pillow, because my country is frikkin poor*

Calm down... You no more have arts and you are going to a nice high school with nice 500 Mb RAM computers... with 128 MB graphics card and 0.5 Ghz processor, and some computers with twice of this. Luckily you (i mean me) have the better computer, with Windows **** Vista, and **** no ability to download Gimp (does not want to work :(). Calm down... People have worse computers than you in schools...

Ok i am calmed down :) And now i am again wanting this mod so badly :D

@Boamere

At least you don't have to take Health:(.

@Daveboy2000 I believe there is a picture of a starship with radiators in the OP. There is a good chance radiators will make their appearance sometime.

@POTKC That is what Demoria was trying to get at. He told me he originally wanted to do a Sci-fi what if style thing with the German Space Program, but decided against it for various reasons. (WWII) (Internet Hate/ Racism)

@Boamere

At least you don't have to take Health:(.

@Daveboy2000 I believe there is a picture of a starship with radiators in the OP. There is a good chance radiators will make their appearance sometime.

@POTKC That is what Demoria was trying to get at. He told me he originally wanted to do a Sci-fi what if style thing with the German Space Program, but decided against it for various reasons. (WWII) (Internet Hate/ Racism)

Umm come on who knows how German rockets look? (maybe me, but theyalways reming me of USA rockets without boosters) But yes Internet would hate it if somebody said it :P

This comic sans makes me feel so funny.

Maybe we should move to a new thread, I keep seeing new posts in this one and hoping it's an update from Daemoria

Nope, we are just trying to socialize with others amazed by work of Daemoria. So we probably socialize with everybody.

I hope that your development progress will soon shift to the more 'sci-fi' end of the spectrum. :) I don't mean the textures, all of your stuff looks fan-frakkin'-tastic in that respect! But... well, it's just... They're rockets. Round rockets. It's not like the game doesn't already have a squillion-and-three different kinds of round rockets and engines to go with them, you know? I'm hoping for some stuff based on the first few sketches in the OP, you know, SPACESHIP looking parts, stuff to make those Homeworld-esque ships and spaceplanes and the like. :)

My $0.02, and just a request at that. Carry on.

:D

I'll be happy even if the round rockets are the only thing Daemoria ends up making. His art style looks so awesome, I'd be happy with just the one rocket he's already made!!! (That was meant as a compliment, by the way)

I hope that your development progress will soon shift to the more 'sci-fi' end of the spectrum. :) I don't mean the textures, all of your stuff looks fan-frakkin'-tastic in that respect! But... well, it's just... They're rockets. Round rockets. It's not like the game doesn't already have a squillion-and-three different kinds of round rockets and engines to go with them, you know? I'm hoping for some stuff based on the first few sketches in the OP, you know, SPACESHIP looking parts, stuff to make those Homeworld-esque ships and spaceplanes and the like. :)

My $0.02, and just a request at that. Carry on.

:D

Okay... I actually think that the best thing about these parts is that they're just round rockets (and therefore easily usable along with other parts), but still look flippin' amazing. But, as Daemoria stated that he aimed for the game to be playable to full extent with only parts from this addon(IIRC), I think we're going to see a little of everything :)

Just wanted to pop in with an update that I am not, in fact, dead. I've been quite busy with real life work, but I do plan on continuing work on this whenever possible.

The only real new question i've seen pop-up is concerning file size. I'll be releasing 2 versions of the mod, one for potato-laptops, and one for current-gen hardware. The meshes themselves wont contribute much to filesize bloat so I'll keep them the same across both versions, instead it'll have different textures to cut down on resource usage. The potato-SRI will probably use tweaked halfsize textures (sharped and touched up, to ensure readability).

Interstellar Mod compatibility was brought up at some point in this thread I believe, and it is a possibility. I might end up releasing a tweaked tech tree to allow it.

I plan on developing my technology along a divergent path that Interstellar takes (Magnetic/laser and nuclear beam pumped based propulsion) so the tech tree integration might be a little strange, but shouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine integrating.

--

sorry, no pretty pictures this time.

For potato laptops there is all ways Active Texture Management. I can 100% recommend this and I'll personally write the config for it - rbray has some of mine at the minute to be included in the next release... All you are going to do is either compress or reduce the texture in size by a power of 2 or 4 which this all ready does. Save a whole bunch of time which can be devoted to more awesome stuff!

Edited by Green Skull
Add link and better English

I just looked at the license agreement for the ActiveTexture Management tool. If i'm reading it correctly, I would be able to distribute it packaged with a custom config file when I release?

I'd like to cut down on players having to hunt down separate tools to make the mod work correctly, thus my hesitation about integrating Interstelllar into the mod/relying on external dependencies. A plug-and-play experience is what I'm aiming for when the gold version rolls around.

Yeah I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to use Active Texture Management. He also has a pretty bad ass clouds mod on the same licence - makes Kerbin a much prettier place plus its possible to add your own cloud textures. They are working on planetary rings and such. If you are going to use my suits and TextureReplacer we could add in some planet textures for a complete game work over. All configured for potato's on Texture Management :D

Looks tasty.:sticktongue: [Note: Do not ingest live Krakens, this can be hazardous to your health.]

You... tell... me it now? Right after i ate 3 of them! They were all alive! Will i die?

I figured ou how can i be part of the team... At least teorethically. I can be alpha tester. Make me alpha tester. Maaake. Maaaaaake.