Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

So just ignore the guy with an EXPLODING thrust structure?

Gee thanks for NOTHING fans...:huh:

Don't get mad at us when you throw a problem towards us without giving us ANY useful information. We can't just get into your computer and solve the problem. You NEED to give us more info. Like what other mods you use, a log file, KSP version, just anything other than "I HAVE PROBLEM FIX PLOX!!1!2!"

So what is going on ?

Why new model will bring more issues ? I hope it will not be the case.

Anyway. I will continue working on those new cuts as I had to go on business trip and was ot for a few days.

I have completed a real solar system config for Component Space Shuttle

It will be released with the next version of RO hopefully with integrated seperation motors and some other minor tweaks here and there.

Try it out and let me know of any bugs.

Is the thing configured for FAR? I've tested it out and it has some critical aerodynamic issues. It seems to roll somewhat uncontrollably during ascent. Re-entry and decent is pretty much impossible. As soon as the shuttle hits 70-60km it starts rolling all over the place and flips out of control.

Is the thing configured for FAR? I've tested it out and it has some critical aerodynamic issues. It seems to roll somewhat uncontrollably during ascent. Re-entry and decent is pretty much impossible. As soon as the shuttle hits 70-60km it starts rolling all over the place and flips out of control.

Yes, This is for use with realisim overhaul and all of its required mods.

While configuring, I found that the left control surface has a mesh that is not aligned with its node. Therefore there are issues with control. My modifications correct this for use with FAR

Edited by advice_dawgg

Yes, This is for use with realisim overhaul and all of its required mods.

While configuring, I found that the left control surface has a mesh that is not aligned with its node. Therefore there are issues with control. My modifications correct this for use with FAR

Well I've tested your RO-fix, and there are still some major aerodynamic issues when using FAR. The shuttle rolls and yaws by itself during ascent, and it flips over right around 70-60km during re-entry and decent. You might want to check your config file, because something is off or misaligned.

Well I've tested your RO-fix, and there are still some major aerodynamic issues when using FAR. The shuttle rolls and yaws by itself during ascent, and it flips over right around 70-60km during re-entry and decent. You might want to check your config file, because something is off or misaligned.

Thanks for the feedback, however I am failing to replicate your report.

As for the FAR instability, just checking if you have the most recent version of CSS, as I have not tested the config for older versions and there may be issues with the FAR config.

Ascent is a tough one. I can brute force increase gimbal ranges to unrealistic levels (which look rediculous with real plume configs) to have it perfectly stable with stock SAS, but i'm not going to do that as i'm trying to make it analogous to the real shuttle, so refuse to rely on over powerful gyroscopes to control it (the only reason Ive left a SAS module in the engine mount was to have compatibility with Timewarp rotation fix mod

I have found it to be very controllable, but not the same as just throwing on SAS and calling it a day. Have you tried manually adjusting SSME trim in the editor? Try setting the top SSME to 'enable roll' in order to control its attitude better.

Are you dumping propellant prior to re-entry? It requires a fuel balance mod that is not included. If it has alot of remaining hypergolic propellant, the shuttle will be very unstable on reentry.

I am interested in the FAR bug, so let me know if you have the most current version. If so, try my suggestions.

Don't mistake my response for sass. I do want the feedback :)

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, however I am failing to replicate your report.

As for the FAR instability, just checking if you have the most recent version of CSS, as I have not tested the config for older versions and there may be issues with the FAR config.

Ascent is a tough one. I can brute force increase gimbal ranges to unrealistic levels (which look rediculous with real plume configs) to have it perfectly stable with stock SAS, but i'm not going to do that as i'm trying to make it analogous to the real shuttle, so refuse to rely on over powerful gyroscopes to control it (the only reason Ive left a SAS module in the engine mount was to have compatibility with Timewarp rotation fix mod

I have found it to be very controllable, but not the same as just throwing on SAS and calling it a day. Have you tried manually adjusting SSME trim in the editor? Try setting the top SSME to 'enable roll' in order to control its attitude better.

Are you dumping propellant prior to re-entry? It requires a fuel balance mod that is not included. If it has alot of remaining hypergolic propellant, the shuttle will be very unstable on reentry.

I am interested in the FAR bug, so let me know if you have the most current version. If so, try my suggestions.

Don't mistake my response for sass. I do want the feedback :)

Thanks

Yes both FAR (v.0.14.6) and CSS (v.6.0.3x) are up to date and my tests were conducted using only the parts within the CSS mod itself + your RO config files.

The roll and yaw instability happens at about the 80km mark during ascent. I've tried about 5 different ascent patterns, all resulting in the same instability outcomes.

As for re-entry and decent, I've tried a few different solutions: dump all remaining fuel, 30%, 50% and so on and so forth. I've also tried re-entry with different pitch-values, different Pe-altitudes, all resulting in the craft rolling and yawing out of control before completely flipping over.

I will try to manually adjust SSME trim and enable roll and get back to you. Your configs looks good, haven't really found anything that seems off.

Don't get mad at us when you throw a problem towards us without giving us ANY useful information. We can't just get into your computer and solve the problem. You NEED to give us more info. Like what other mods you use, a log file, KSP version, just anything other than "I HAVE PROBLEM FIX PLOX!!1!2!"

What more do you need to know? KSP vanilla/MechJeb with all the stuff the thread said it requires. Launch and the engine mount/thrust structure explodes less than 15 seconds after launch. I really didnt think I needed to include OBVIOUS in this post.

What more do you need to know? KSP vanilla/MechJeb with all the stuff the thread said it requires. Launch and the engine mount/thrust structure explodes less than 15 seconds after launch. I really didnt think I needed to include OBVIOUS in this post.

All you told us was that you had a problem and we need to fix it. You didn't give us any info at all. Why not try looking in the log file like I suggested?

Ok after a fair bit of testing ive noticed I could replicate the re-entry issue if i used no RCS to stabilize the shuttle on re-entry.

This is not how the real shuttle worked.

Taken from NASA spaceflight on the shuttle orbiter:

"...From an entry interface of 400,000 feet, the orbiter is controlled in roll, pitch and yaw with the aft RCS thrusters. The orbiter's ailerons become effective at a dynamic pressure of 10 pounds per square foot, and the aft RCS roll jets are deactivated. At a dynamic pressure of 20 pounds per square foot, the orbiter's elevons become effective, and the aft RCS pitch jets are deactivated. The rudder is activated at Mach 3.5, and the aft RCS yaw jets are deactivated at Mach 1 and approximately 45,000 feet."

I don't intend to make some ridiculous band-aid via gyro or enormous FAR models to fix something that isn't actually broken.. However I am looking into improving the shuttle and Im currently looking to improve the FAR configs so don't take this as a nose up to criticism.

Hey all,

I was just playing around with your shuttle, doing OMS assisted runway takeoffs and all ;p

I discovered these things which may be of interest for the developers, regarding mod compatibility.

I have FAR installed and found that your wings and tail planes don't generate any lift, and for the tail and control surfaces, no drag. I managed to make a controllable version by hiding some stock wing panels inside the cosmetic CSS wings. however it would be much easier to have the wings working as should. landing without a functional air-brake is virtually impossible.

With deadly re-entry installed the engine mount part blows up due to heat accumulation. gives some good fireworks though!

hope you find the info useful.

Cheers!

Rico