Component Space Shuttle - dev thread [IMG heavy!]

OK so upgrade from my side for the airlock :

c76d.jpg

Yes I started to learn and use Maya.

Caligari Truespace is out of date and there is no support anymore :(

So I decided I will try and learn Maya.

Still working on it as I want to add some stuff to this airlock :) Like animated hatch :)

I am thinking that I will have to split this airlock to two parts.

Top part with docking point and bottom part with hatch and hatch animation. As I am not sure if Unity or KSP supports one whole object with hatch animation, hatch for kerbals to move in or out of the ship and docking point .

As a reference picture I was using the airlock of my beloved Discovery

0124-0610-2617-1713_the_space_shuttle_discovery_o.jpg

Edited by Jovzin

By all means, split the docking port off. That would increase the flexibility of the Shuttle somewhat, and in case you run into problems setting the dockport up, we'll have fallback options (the current dockport is BobCat's and works fine).

Sorry to ask but is there any news regarding the tire smoke and IVA? its just that there's been no news for a few weeks

Well, tire sounds work, haven't seen the smoke, though. I just need to test an update to Firespitter.dll, and Snjo needs to release it (if it's good) so that everything works properly. Release soon, should be out this week, but no promises.

That depends on when Ferram is gonna respond to my PM. I need his help to make the Shuttle's aerodynamics work properly.

That depends on when Ferram is gonna respond to my PM. I need his help to make the Shuttle's aerodynamics work properly.

If he doesn't respond within [TIME LIMIT], you could also just ask in the FAR thread.

Dragon, Felbourn who does the Project Gateway and Project Odyssey videos (see my sig for a link) has recently worked on an RSS version for his own use and it kind of works.

Yes, it will have an IVA. However, I'm afraid it'll have to be postponed to the new Firespitter release. "A couple of days", as Snjo said. I could try redistributing the test plugin with the mod, but it also needs Firespitter sounds and effects, meaning I'd either have to throw them in, too, or create a support nightmare by stating what to copy and counting on people to get it right.

Yes, it will have an IVA. However, I'm afraid it'll have to be postponed to the new Firespitter release. "A couple of days", as Snjo said. I could try redistributing the test plugin with the mod, but it also needs Firespitter sounds and effects, meaning I'd either have to throw them in, too, or create a support nightmare by stating what to copy and counting on people to get it right.

nah! Just do it the right way. It will be worth it whenever it gets done.

It's already done. The problem is that I don't want to include any plugins with the CSS itself.

Why not? Since it's dependant on the plugins, I see no reason not to do it. It would make it a lot easier for end-users, too.

Because then I'd not only have to make sure the plugin is up to date, and deal with people who install Firespitter after CSS, overwriting the new plugin, then complain about the wheels being broken. And also redistribute Snjo's sounds, because CSS uses that.

Because then I'd not only have to make sure the plugin is up to date, and deal with people who install Firespitter after CSS, overwriting the new plugin, then complain about the wheels being broken. And also redistribute Snjo's sounds, because CSS uses that.

Oh right, I see.

You don't need any parts from it at all just the plugin side of it

To get the seperatrons on the bottom on the SRB and the sparklers so the craft file works I think we need a few parts.

Hi all,

Newbie to KSP here. First of all let me say that this is a beautiful mod. Very fun to play, and a worthy tribute to an amazing spacecraft. However, I'm having a couple of problems with this mod that I hope anyone can help me solve. I wasn't sure whether to ask here or the other CSS thread - I will assume here since the other thread seems to deal with the previous version of CSS. I'm running version 0.23.5.

First issue is that while I can play the plain version of the craft, I can't get the NRO version to work. I'm assuming that this is due to my incompetence at installing KSP mods. How I installed the NRO-specific mods are as follows:

FASA: Merged GameData and Saves folders with existing ones in KSP folder.

HullCamVDS: Copied HullCameraVDS folder into GameData folder.

ScanSat: Copied SCANsat folder into GameData folder.

RCS Build Aid: Copied RCSBuildAid folder into GameData folder.

The second problem I'm having is (when playing the plain version of the spacecraft) the SRBs never burn out (as long as I have SSME fuel, the SRBs will remain at 1% fuel level and continue at full thrust), and when I jettison the SRBs, they immediately begin a wild spin. If I'm lucky, they only take out my ailerons, virtually eliminating control during reentry. If I'm not lucky, they crash into the ET, and the orbiter separates. I don't see any RCS jets firing when the SRBs are jettisoned.

Thanks for any advice,

Trent

Hi all,

Newbie to KSP here. First of all let me say that this is a beautiful mod. Very fun to play, and a worthy tribute to an amazing spacecraft. However, I'm having a couple of problems with this mod that I hope anyone can help me solve. I wasn't sure whether to ask here or the other CSS thread - I will assume here since the other thread seems to deal with the previous version of CSS. I'm running version 0.23.5.

First issue is that while I can play the plain version of the craft, I can't get the NRO version to work. I'm assuming that this is due to my incompetence at installing KSP mods. How I installed the NRO-specific mods are as follows:

FASA: Merged GameData and Saves folders with existing ones in KSP folder.

HullCamVDS: Copied HullCameraVDS folder into GameData folder.

ScanSat: Copied SCANsat folder into GameData folder.

RCS Build Aid: Copied RCSBuildAid folder into GameData folder.

The second problem I'm having is (when playing the plain version of the spacecraft) the SRBs never burn out (as long as I have SSME fuel, the SRBs will remain at 1% fuel level and continue at full thrust), and when I jettison the SRBs, they immediately begin a wild spin. If I'm lucky, they only take out my ailerons, virtually eliminating control during reentry. If I'm not lucky, they crash into the ET, and the orbiter separates. I don't see any RCS jets firing when the SRBs are jettisoned.

Thanks for any advice,

Trent

Agreed I don't like the engine thrust controller I don't intstall it. They nosecone sepratrons are really not good. Probably one if the few bad things with this mod. However even though they suck they are place wrong in the craft file. If you look at them the engine holes are facing outward basically guaranteeing they will strike your wings. Face the engine holes on both sides towards the orbiter and they will seperate away from the ship. They are very weak so they could still strike wings but atleast it increases your chances. I personally add more sepratrons just push them away. Also I don't know if you forgot to list them but you also need to install space shuttle engines by dtobi. If you didn't install that it should unlock the craft files.

Hope this helps.

If you don't install the required plugins, I can't help you. If you don't like ETC, you're on your own. Boosters do separate, but you need to be going straight up. The next release will have a better separation.

Also, to everyone who wants an RSS version: I need FAR data for all Shuttle aerodynamic surfaces. That means you need to take this image:

http://space1.com/Spacecraft_Data/Handbook_Illustrations/Space_Shuttle/Orbiter_Dimensions/orbiter_dimensions.html

and derive the required values for FAR modules from it. I tried and didn't succeed, maybe somebody else will have more luck. This will also go a long way towards having the Buran in RSS (because the wings are very similar).

Edited by Guest