NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

It looks as though the actual engines are part of that fuel tank block? Could make things difficult for those of us looking to, say, put a hundred of them on one ship.

:D

For me it looks like that are four stacked tanks, so you you should be free to do your thing with them.

Hm... On the one hand I do like that we're getting stock 3.75 meter parts and a stock LES, but that being said... Those tank textures just do not look that good. Maybe they'll be getting a quick touch-up or are being shown at a bad angle, but compared to the Rockomax orange tanks next to them they just look "meh" at best. I'm also disappointed by the lack of a 3.75m Orion capsule to compliment the Apollo-style Mk. 1-2. The new engines look... Well, honestly I can't tell from that angle, but they don't seem bad from those pictures.

So I like that I won't have to download a mod for an LES (though I'll still probably use the KSPX one), I love the claw, and I like that we are in fact getting 3.75m parts, but I'm disappointed by the quality and lack of real SLS-scaled 5m parts. I get that they wanted to get the ARM out really quick, but it feels a bit too rushed. I'll probably stick with the KW tanks for 3.75m parts.

I won't flame the parts - that said, to me they very much do look like WIPs, at least texture-wise. Either that or the sample pic is deliberately using a reduced texture setting for some reason.

What concerns me more are the new engines - in the picture they look worryingly like the NovaPunch (or is it KW? I forget) big engine that is really an engine cluster attached to a segment of rocket fuselage. Due to its design it really only looks decent on the bottom of the corresponding giant white tank. I hope this isn't the case and that the new engines match the design scheme of the existing rocket and jet engines, i.e. just the exhaust funnel and a mounting piece (with a few pipes and other doodads). It's a lot more versatile that way.

Has nobody noticed the fairings? Does this mean stock fairings? Please mean stock fairings.

I total agree that stock fairings would be awesome, but I don't think that image was from the presentation. I'm pretty sure that's an artist's redition of a Jupiter rocket system, and was included in this thread to demonstrate what the KSP rocket presented was being modeled after.

PS I hope I'm wrong.

Edited by LethalDose

What concerns me more are the new engines - in the picture they look worryingly like the NovaPunch (or is it KW? I forget) big engine that is really an engine cluster attached to a segment of rocket fuselage. Due to its design it really only looks decent on the bottom of the corresponding giant white tank. I hope this isn't the case and that the new engines match the design scheme of the existing rocket and jet engines, i.e. just the exhaust funnel and a mounting piece (with a few pipes and other doodads). It's a lot more versatile that way.
The booster lower parts definitely do look that way. Either that or the engines actually mount radially, which would look odd from below I reckon.

The booster lower parts definitely do look that way. Either that or the engines actually mount radially, which would look odd from below I reckon.

It might just be a fuel tank with multiple nodes on the bottom that you could attach any engines to.

As far as i'm concerned, these new parts are very stockalike, since we regard stockalike things to look more or less the way the devs made them. The only things I hope for are that those engines at the bottom are separate from the tanks and not a cluster. REMEMBER GUYS: this patch os about asteroids and such, nobody said it would be SLS Nasa future space craft parts, i'm surprised they modoled the new parts like the SLS, and it looks cool. But it is in no way meant to BE the SLS pack, just hte ARM pack. Sorry for the long post, guys, but I had to get this out.

I like the new parts. But has anyone noticed how few STRUTS are supporting the Boosters??? Yea thats right 2 orange tanks being held on with 2 struts and a decoupler!

Oh the days of wormy rockets, and my attempts at keeping them steady are gone!

Think about all the part counts you will save when you need only 4 struts to keep things stable :'D

I like the new parts. But has anyone noticed how few STRUTS are supporting the Boosters??? Yea thats right 2 orange tanks being held on with 2 struts and a decoupler!

Oh the days of wormy rockets, and my attempts at keeping them steady are gone!

Think about all the part counts you will save when you need only 4 struts to keep things stable :'D

Nothing unusual for anyone who installed KJR.

As for SLS, I'm interested in engine mounts - are those integral with engines or they are separate parts? Other parts - well, we've got KW and NP for all super-heavy rocketry needs, so nothing new here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.