NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack/0.23.5 Images: now with 100% more SLS

Mach_XXII

New tanks and LES look fine to me. I'm less convinced by the twin engine adapters on the booster stacks, they look a bit odd. The central one's not so bad, and intrigues me; it's hard to see, but is there actually one large engine surrounded by four smaller ones? That doesn't exactly match the real SLS, set to have 3-5 identical engine depending on "block" and design, but it would be an interesting thing to have.

@cantab i think they tried to replicate SLS block II with the pyrios LRB's (dynetics/rocketdyne 'entry' for sls block II booster competition, powered by two f-1b's :))

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/11/dynetics-pwr-liquidize-sls-booster-competition-f-1-power/

Seems quite a match for me :)

Edited by sgt_flyer

How so?

It looks fine to me, and more stock-alike than some of the other parts. If you don't like it, the KSPX version isn't going anywhere.

Laziest thing I've ever seen Squad release. It's nothing but a collection of resized stock parts and amateurish 3d modeling crudely bodged together. Looks more like a 14 year-old's first attempt at KSP modding than something created by a legitimate game studio. Doubly baffling considering the modder who created the excellent KSPX escape tower is actually employed at Squad.

Laziest thing I've ever seen Squad release. It's nothing but a collection of resized stock parts and amateurish 3d modeling crudely bodged together. Looks more like a 14 year-old's first attempt at KSP modding than something created by a legitimate game studio. Doubly baffling considering the modder who created the excellent KSPX escape tower is actually employed at Squad.

It's not like they could make a better model for a fuel tank. It's a cylinder that holds fuel and sometimes has paint on it! What did you expect from a fuel tank?!

I don't understand why people keep going on about "stock-alike" as if it's desirable. I could texture those tanks much better before breakfast, and that might even include the time it takes to research the design of the textures, as well as normal maps which I can't even see there. I should probably reserve judgement until the final product is out, but seriously if those textures stay like that it's the first thing I'm fixing when the update comes out.

I don't understand why people keep going on about "stock-alike" as if it's desirable. I could texture those tanks much better before breakfast, and that might even include the time it takes to research the design of the textures, as well as normal maps which I can't even see there. I should probably reserve judgement until the final product is out, but seriously if those textures stay like that it's the first thing I'm fixing when the update comes out.

Adding Texturegate to Clawgate, are we? :D

maybe the parts could use a nicer texture, but really why all the big deal over one .png file, if its not good, it doesn't take much to replace it.... models are what you should be concerned about as from what I've seen those are the things that they don't like to update that often....

Can't wait to see one of those arm revealed marathons :D.

Stupidest post I've ever seen you release.

There, how does that feel? Not a very constructive form of criticism, isn't it? Try and act your age, please. People like you are the reason game companies don't release much in the way of previews about their coming updates.

On topic: I have yet to see any valid argument how these parts are supposedly "not stockalike". I mean, how would the tanks have to look in order to be seen as "stockalike"? Would they for example have to share the paintjob of existing tanks? Spoiler: they do (look at the FL-T series). The escape tower is a simple and effective design that conveys its nature perfectly without having bells and whisles everywhere, and the paintjob again matches existing parts. The engines and/or engine adapters are barely even visible from the angle they are shown, and cannot be properly assessed unless you see them from below. The interstage adapter is just a cone-shape - what more did people expect? And that's all the parts that are visible.

When I look at the screenshots, I see mostly three things: 1.) you could make a really nice pattern with the tanks if you flipped every second one upside down; 2.) I can't say with certainty if these are in fact 3.75m or more like 4m to 4.25m. I really hope it's the former, because it's been a kind of unofficial standard for the next size step up in the modding community; and 3.) this is clearly only loosely inspired by the SLS and not meant as a replica in any way, shape or form. If it was to be a replica, these parts would have to be far larger (at least another step up to 5m). As such, it's foolish to hang oneself up on the comparison.

I really want to see the engines now. To be honest, I expected single engines and not clusters. That's the one thing that arguably is new and doesn't have an analogue in other stock parts. But I think it's a great addition, as I've been known to obsessively build engine clusters whenever possible (and sadly, it's not possible nearly as often as I'd like).

I'm not even surprised by this, every part that was added lately fits this "style": reused, more or less modified models of other stock parts and mediocre texture work. Unfortunately Squad currently lacks proper content designer (Nova left, B9 left and Claira is apparently still hired but we didn't seen anything made by her since... forever) and that's why we getting parts looking like this.

Generally I'm happy that we finally getting bigger parts into the stock game but Squad really needs to hire some talented content designer. Fast.

(and fortunately it looks that they are currently looking for one)

Edited by jcraft

The whole idea of stock alike and kerbals in generals is a slightly cartoonish steampunk look. If I wanted a perfectly realistic simulator matched to real life then I'd be playing orbiter.

The whole idea? You know it's fine if you like that sort of thing, though I can't imagine why, but don't say "the whole idea" as if we're all here to live Harvesters dream. And what is with this black and white thinking?

Adding Texturegate to Clawgate, are we? :D

Oh you. I should really wait and see, it just seems odd.

I mean, how would the tanks have to look in order to be seen as "stockalike"?

- Flat colours

- No ambient occlusion

- Low frequency noise here and there.

- A bit of detailing

- Simple normal maps

Some people call that cartoony steampunk. And it's certainly steaming.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I'm glad to see Squad is keeping the KSP politically neutral. When I heard "nasa pack" I assumed that american flags would be everywhere. That's not to say that NASA has political goals for this pack, but at least squad isn't adding to them.

1.) you could make a really nice pattern with the tanks if you flipped every second one upside down;

Thats a really good idea

You could also rotate them 45 degrees or so

It certainly would help to break up the repetitiveness of it.

Hah I was thinking the same Kipard. But first lets see how the things actually look on our own computers.

As for the so famed 'stockalike' look, check out what Bac9 wrote on his blogpost about the new space center, he words it quite well.

Good part textures are not just about colors and details tho, they also require good composition like any other artwork.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.