[1.0.5] Kip Engineering: All Docking Ports updated for 1.0.5! (11th Nov 2015)

CaptainKipard

I hope you intend to upload your mod on another place like github or curse before space port goes down permanently. :P I actually just downloaded your other bit too, the hub set. I may have encountered a bug with your docking ports though. I can't tell which side is which, when I slapped one on my ship as the root part, the very top of the ship, it was backwards and reversed my ship's functions. When I tried to target one of them from a distance of 900 meters, I couldn't right click it at all. I eventually had to get out with a kerbal and fly right up to it 2 meters away, then I was able to right click it, but not dock. I hit it a few times with the docking port but nothing. I may have had it reversed, so I'll rebuild my ship from scratch and try again to verify. If you're wanting to know about KAS stuff too, I'm trying it out but when I tried it earlier, it ripped my ship to pieces just docking one with a fuel pipe with all torque and engines off and everything. :/ It just wouldn't stop accelerating for some reason. I turned off RCS and the other bit too before docking. I only turned those on after to see if it'd stop the acceleration. I'm gonna test once more before I do a bug report to the KAS dev. :P It's just a warning, in case you try to do something like I did that it may end up failing horribly and you can't revert to VAB because it seems to save when you EVA.

6pW1LyuiviJc8S2FP4YLuHAsVlIT3.jpg

Thanks for bumping this thread, if nothing else.

Well, if you'd like to get a task, here are my wishes:

• while the height is fine for the largest version the smallest one looks too thick imho
  • I'm still having a hard time docking, usually it takes me ~3 tries even with mechjeb, doing it myself even longer. This is true especially when docking two adaptive nodes, it works slightly better with adaptive + stock.

Anyway, I still prefer using your models since at least they look so much better then the stock parts!

I've been using your mod for some time now, thank you Cpt. Kipard for these awesome parts! I use your docking ports almost all the time :)

If you are looking for ideas to expand: I would like to see docking ports with integrated lights (maybe docking alignment lights?) and/or integrated RCS ports, especially for the larger ones. Would lower the part count and make maneuvering much easier (space tug ftw!).

Most of the line endings in UnivDockPorts.cfg appear to be \r\r\n (0x0D 0x0D 0x0A) instead of the Windows-standard \r\n (0x0D 0x0A).

I'll test whether or not this makes a difference as soon as KSP finishes loading.

Edit: Well, that didn't work. Restoring from backup...

Edit v2:

realchute incompatibility
Apparently, I'm just as blind as ever. Edited by Fail-Man 3D
I'm an idiot

while the height is fine for the largest version the smallest one looks too thick imho

I'll think about it.

I'm still having a hard time docking, usually it takes me ~3 tries even with mechjeb, doing it myself even longer. This is true especially when docking two adaptive nodes, it works slightly better with adaptive + stock.

Please download the plugin from Toadicus' own thread; I haven't updated my plugin ever since I found out about Curse. Also direct all plugin-related problems there.

If you are looking for ideas to expand: I would like to see docking ports with integrated lights (maybe docking alignment lights?) and/or integrated RCS ports, especially for the larger ones. Would lower the part count and make maneuvering much easier (space tug ftw!).

I'll think about the lights, but I'm against adding thrusters. That would be too restrictive for the player.

Most of the line endings in UnivDockPorts.cfg appear to be \r\r\n (0x0D 0x0D 0x0A) instead of the Windows-standard \r\n (0x0D 0x0A).

I'll test whether or not this makes a difference as soon as KSP finishes loading.

Edit: Well, that didn't work. Restoring from backup...

Can you finish your thought?

AdaptiveDockingNode has been updated to version 1.4! This is mostly just an excuse to update the download links now that SpacePort has officially bit the dust, but also includes a minor behavior fix and reduces a bit of code bloat. ;)

Details over in The Official Thread.

Also, I've done a careful examination of the endline characters in this version of UnivDockPorts.cfg in multiple hex editors and via python scripts, and can confidently say that it very definitely does not have \r\r\n endings in any lines, and in fact only has \r\n endings on every line. Also, \r\r\n wouldn't matter to the parser afaik; that's just an extra blank line as far as it's concerned, and it just ignores those.

I'll think about it.

I'll think about the lights, but I'm against adding thrusters. That would be too restrictive for the player.

Can you finish your thought?

What I had in mind were docking ports with rcs in addition to your standard docking ports (or maybe only one additional port?).

Otherwise it would be too restrictive, that's true :)

I'll think about it. I'd have to create new geometry, and I have a lot of empty space in the texture to add things so it's a remote possibility.

Where exactly do you imagine I should put those thrusters?

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I have a request for the docking ports. Some sort of alignment indicator on the outer face. Just something to show me what it would consider as "up" when controlled from that part. Even better would be a light like on the FusTek station ports ;']

Edward

PS Where can I download the hubs now that spaceport is dead?

Edited by futrtrubl

• 1 month later...

You're welcome to use the parts as they are for the moment. I'm planning to do a bit of a texture overhaul, as well add a few of the suggestions, and fix what needs fixing for 0.24.

Toadicus is probably correct.

The only problems I foresee are:

- Whether the tech-tree node I placed the ports in still exists

- Prices

Other than that the only unusual thing about these parts is Toadicus' adaptive docking module, so if that works then you're ok.

Anyway I'm glad people still use this, so I'll probably get back to development very soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the new update might have messed with the scaled hubs a bit. I'll have to get back to this.

The docking ports should be fine, since they are not scaled, and toadicus's Adaptive Docking Node plugin has been recompiled against 0.25. Please download it from his thread.

Ok. It's been a few months since I updated this so I have started a little bit of an overhaul.

First on the list will be the Station hubs. I'll be re-texturing them in a style that closely resembles Porkjets SP+ parts, and updating the part files and configs to make use of the changes introduced in 0.24 and 0.25. I'll also add TweakScale support, and probably some crew capacity. No IVA though.

Next, the docking ports. On the to-do list are small alignment indicator emissive lights, a forward-facing light, optional dorsal, ventral, port and starboard RCS thrusters, and some minor texture work.

If anyone has any other requests post them asap, otherwise I might not be able to add them.

First on the list will be the Station hubs. I'll be re-texturing them in a style that closely resembles Porkjets SP+ parts.

Sounds great. Good idea.

I'll also add TweakScale support

Good, good.

and probably some crew capacity.

I always regarded the hubs in the same category as structural fuselage, rather than living quarters.

I still regularly use these parts as they really fill an angular-but-low-profile niche perfectly.

They are mainly structural, but astronauts on the ISS have sleeping quarters that are basically embedded in the "walls" of some of the ISS modules. It'll likely just be for the I, T and L hubs and only between 1 and 2 for each. I'd prefer them to have some use other than just aesthetic and structural.

I've been getting some strange effects with 0.25. Not every single time, but sometimes when I fire up the game, all of the KIP docking ports are bright white, with no textures.

Any clue as to why that would happen?

xrpy6Nu.png

Here is the log. Lots of texture errors for the parts :(

Edited by Eleven

Public Service Announcement

If you're using the station hubs, then be prepared to rebuild your craft. This was my first ever mod for KSP and that being the case it was very shoddily made for a number of reasons. The upcoming update will break pretty much everything worth mentioning.

There's still time though as I wont be releasing it for a few days.

Anyway here's a render of what's coming.

4XIsxab.png

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.