Come on Squad, gimme a reason!

I love KSP. I've got well over 500 hours of gameplay behind me. I want to give Squad some more money but simply buying the game again doesn't really appeal.

Once I reached a certain level of play time in DotA2 I went and bought some cosmetic items to show my support and to say thanks for a great game.

Now I would love to do the same for Squad. No idea what but some DLC or cosmetic items or part packs or planets or anything so I can keep filling Squad's pockets.

I recently backed a new tiny little game called Star Citizen, you may have heard of it, and they keep pulling in the money from their ship sales and the game isn't even in alpha.

They've just passed 40 million dollars in funding. I want to give Squad some more monies, who's with me?

T-shirts, hoodies, telescopes....anything, get some merchandise or DLC going and then more money can be made which means more stuff can be put into KSP meaning more sales of the game and more money can be made which means more stuff can be put into KSP meaning more sales of the game...

Monkeh... are you seriously encouraging the introduction of microtransactions to KSP? Do you have any idea how many games who's essences have been utterly destroyed by transferring to that business model?

Monkeh... are you seriously encouraging the introduction of microtransactions to KSP? Do you have any idea how many games who's essences have been utterly destroyed by transferring to that business model?

I think that he is just wanting more ways to give squad money. Think tf2. That is a system of micro transactions that work. Just simple ways of showing his appreciation for Squad.

I think that he is just wanting more ways to give squad money. Think tf2. That is a system of micro transactions that work. Just simple ways of showing his appreciation for Squad.

Well DLC and things like "Star Citizen" ship pre-orders (which is basically paying for a head-start in the galaxy without having to grind for a better ship, and that game shares similarities to EvE Online) got mentioned.

I'm cool with superficial things like ship decals. And the Kerbalizer is a great example. But I don't want to wind up in a scenario where your science instruments pick up an anomalous reading and then you get a "Pay $2.00 to find out what it is" message. That's typically where such things go. As time wears on, eventually the game turns into a big infomercial, constantly waving DLC under your nose like a crazed door-to-door salesman.

In the stereotypical DLC world, we'd be buying every new mission that comes out such as the asteroids.

Well DLC and things like "Star Citizen" ship pre-orders (which is basically paying for a head-start in the galaxy without having to grind for a better ship, and that game shares similarities to EvE Online) got mentioned.

I'm cool with superficial things like ship decals. And the Kerbalizer is a great example. But I don't want to wind up in a scenario where your science instruments pick up an anomalous reading and then you get a "Pay $2.00 to find out what it is" message. That's typically where such things go. As time wears on, eventually the game turns into a big infomercial, constantly waving DLC under your nose like a crazed door-to-door salesman.

In the stereotypical DLC world, we'd be buying every new mission that comes out such as the asteroids.

Slippery slope fallacy.

I'd say the problem with dlc in KSP is, how do you do it ? DLC almost always stays in games with extreme amounts of anti-modding drm.. and guess why ? why pay $5 when you can just get a mod that does the very same thing and more ? unless they go around banning mods left and right to make sure nobody interferes with the dlc how do they prevent work-arounds ? anyways wouldn't dlc kinda ruin their reputation ?

sorry but I'm extremely against dlc and any extras...

Slippery slope fallacy.

Oh, I do love single-line "your logic isn't logical" statements that spontaneously find their way into every internet discussion.

Have you never played fallout, GTA or Skyrim? All heavly moddable games. All with DLC. I think you need a bit more faith. The KSP community isn't your average community.

Well, being an indie company certainly helps with things like this. I've just seen it one too many times to not get nervous when it starts being discussed. It sort of has that "Ima use the dark side of the Force just for this one thing, but I won't turn to it" and then the corruption slowly oozes its way in and takes over.

Edited by vger

Ok let me elaborate. From what I gathered you are apposed to DLC because of it was implemented then what would most likely happen is they we would soon have to start paying for more and more additions to the game. Going so far to have to pay for new missions for the ARM pack. Basically going the way of EA.

If I have misread your statement then I am sorry and retract my comment.

EDIT: I can sort of understand your caution but I don't think it is the Dark Side, instead it is a knife. Can be a useful tool but it could be used as a weapon depending on the aim of the user.

Edited by Dodgey

Ok let me elaborate. From what I gathered you are apposed to DLC because of it was implemented then what would most likely happen is they we would soon have to start paying for more and more additions to the game. Going so far to have to pay for new missions for the ARM pack. Basically going the way of EA.

If I have misread your statement then I am sorry and retract my comment.

It's cool, I just prefer a little elaboration. Like I said, if things are kept indie, it's probably safe. It's when the bottom line changes from "are we doing well?" to "is profit maximized?" that this kind of thing gets dangerous. Frankly, I'm actually more comfortable with buying 'chapters' or the almost-outdated term, 'expansions,' than I am with having a silhouetted planet orbiting the sun and having to buy it before I can visit it (or whatever other bizarre thing you can think of). OP's examples of paid-for-DLC actually included the more dubious methods of separating players from their money. Were that not the case, I wouldn't have made such a post in the first place. My response was moreso directed at some of the specific things that were mentioned, rather than the idea of DLC at all. If I have to pay for a "version 2" of KSP, I won't really mind.

Slippery slope fallacy.

It's no fallacy. It's honest truth. It always starts small and seemingly innocuous but then ppl start begging for more. More they get, then with out ever noticing its become the core of the game.

Edit: I'm all for FREE dlc like ARM, but paid additions to this game. No. No. NO!

Edited by AlamoVampire

What's this? People being reasonable on the Internet? But anyway, it's interesting that although DLC and expansion pack have functionally the same definition DLC had such a bad reputation. I do get what you mean. I just have to be sure to elaborate first in the future.

It's no fallacy. It's honest truth. It always starts small and seemingly innocuous but then ppl start begging for more. More they get, then with out ever noticing its become the core of the game.

Edit: I'm all for FREE dlc like ARM, but paid additions to this game. No. No. NO!

I'm sorry are you saying that if cosmetic microtransactions were added the ksp is certainly going to be ruined the way of dungeon keeper? And what is wrong with paid DLC? Would you feel the same way if squad said they ate bringing out an expansion for KSP and toy would have to pay for it?

Edited by vexx32

correct.

Presented the end scenario before. KSP goes MMO, you have to buy every single component for every single ship separate in the item mall.

$1 for a command pod, $2 for a mainsail, $0.10 for a stack separator, $0.05 for a strut, $0.50 for a medium fuel tank, etc. etc.

i think expanding the current merchandising content a little could go a long way for Squad. I dont think charging for DLC should be picked up though. Ill be paying for any future DLC anyway since i bought after May 2013. Id defintley buy a hoody though.

As long as there is no exclusive game content for people who pay more... There is nothing more frustrating than getting beaten by some rich nerd, who simply bought exclusive ingame stuff, others could not afford. Buy now and get the exclusive LV-6X engine... An absolute no go.

But i find nothing wrong in supporting SQUAD with buying nice merchandise or little extra programs like the kerbalizer.

I've got well over 500 hours of gameplay behind me....

Once I reached a certain level of play time in DotA2

KSP isn't finished yet. That explains almost every gripe that almost anyone has with the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.