[1.4.1] KerbTrack v1.5: Head tracking using your webcam, TrackIR, Oculus Rift, joystick (2018-03-14)

pizzaoverhead

As White Owl said, those mods work backwards from the TrackIR interface to support the game, whereas this mod and FreeTrack work forwards from webcam tracking to support TrackIR cameras.

FreeTrack were given a court order by NaturalPoint to remove support for TrackIR cameras in the current and any future versions of FreeTrack. The old versions still offer some support.

To add support for the new TrackIR cameras would require a new plugin. I don't own a TrackIR, so developing it would be difficult to say the least.

Why would trackIR 5 not be supported? There are successful trackIR mods for both freespace 2 and IL-1942 (neither of which supported it in the base game) that both work perfectly with my TrackIR5.

its a licensing thing. natural point's interface is closed source, to use it you need to sign an nda and the resulting code must be closed. that doesn't fly with squad's plugin release guidelines.

however freespace 2 uses the natural point interface through a closed source dll to wrap it into the open source freespace engine. now the contents of the dll is strictly closed source, but the interface to it is in freespace's code, which is available (this is in 'trackirpublic.h' i think, its easy to get lost in that code base).

Edited by Nuke

• 1 month later...
To add support for the new TrackIR cameras would require a new plugin. I don't own a TrackIR, so developing it would be difficult to say the least.

..Since i have TrackIR5... And have been attempting to get some way to output the TrackIR5 to anything that would act as a go-between to Kerbtrack....

With no success... It's so frustrating to know that the TrackIR's own 'protection' of encrypting its output is infact the sole reason that this wont work easily -- Sigh... This is why i should never buy the 'newest, improved' version of a product people are trying to sell, always a catch.

I've come to bring your attention to this:

https://github.com/byBrick/Unity-TrackIR-Plugin

So apparently TrackIR is natively supported in unity, with this plugin.. and Kerbal is based on the unity engine?

I know you've said you dont have TrackIR5... But, does that help you at all in possibly adding TIR5 support?

Alternatively can anything/anyone help me?

Or am i just clutching at straws and it's time to give up on TrackIR and buy a decent webcam?

• 4 weeks later...
..Since i have TrackIR5... And have been attempting to get some way to output the TrackIR5 to anything that would act as a go-between to Kerbtrack....

With no success... It's so frustrating to know that the TrackIR's own 'protection' of encrypting its output is infact the sole reason that this wont work easily -- Sigh... This is why i should never buy the 'newest, improved' version of a product people are trying to sell, always a catch.

I've come to bring your attention to this:

https://github.com/byBrick/Unity-TrackIR-Plugin

So apparently TrackIR is natively supported in unity, with this plugin.. and Kerbal is based on the unity engine?

I know you've said you dont have TrackIR5... But, does that help you at all in possibly adding TIR5 support?

Alternatively can anything/anyone help me?

Or am i just clutching at straws and it's time to give up on TrackIR and buy a decent webcam?

I just created a pull request that adds support for the official TrackIR SDK

EDIT: I should probably post a compiled version instead of just expecting you to build it.

Edited by medsouz

I just created a pull request that adds support for the official TrackIR SDK

EDIT: I should probably post a compiled version instead of just expecting you to build it.

Thanks medsouz, that's excellent! I'm PC-less at the moment, but I'll put out a release with your additions when I'm back in action. I've added links to the front page so that they won't be missed.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get this to work. ;.;

I went and got freetrack, build a 3 point cap (with both red and Infrared LEDs at each point), Set up my webcam. I got it working in Freetrack's client with their test stuff. I copied the FreeTrackClient.dll into KSP root folder as it says on the front page. Followed all the instruction I could find but when I load up the game and go IVA, making sure KerbTrack is Enabled (I had to change the keybinding because my computer has no scroll lock) and nothing happens. I increased the sensitivity in the pause menu but absolutely nothing happens.

Is there anything I'm obviously doing wrong or missed out?? Is there any written or video instructions on how to install and get this mod to work??

I've been dying to use this mod since it came out. I hope someone here can help me get over this last hurdle.

Thanks so much in advance. :)

I went and got freetrack, build a 3 point cap (with both red and Infrared LEDs at each point), Set up my webcam. I got it working in Freetrack's client with their test stuff. I copied the FreeTrackClient.dll into KSP root folder as it says on the front page. Followed all the instruction I could find but when I load up the game and go IVA, making sure KerbTrack is Enabled (I had to change the keybinding because my computer has no scroll lock) and nothing happens. I increased the sensitivity in the pause menu but absolutely nothing happens.

Is there anything I'm obviously doing wrong or missed out?? Is there any written or video instructions on how to install and get this mod to work??

I've been dying to use this mod since it came out. I hope someone here can help me get over this last hurdle.

Just out of curiosity are you using my TrackIR release? It disables FreeTrack for TrackIR by default.

Edited by medsouz

..Then i read the part about you going to all the trouble to patch it to work with the 64-bit...

It works fine if i run the _64.exe but stops working shortly after activating it on normal ksp.exe

But that's no problem cus i'm on a 64-bit system :D

So... yea... ... so happy right now :D

Thank-you so much!

SO AWESOME!

I had never imagined this would work, i thought there was no hope unless Naturalpoint did this themselves and i didn't imagine that happening unless these 2 companies sat down together or someone paid someone some money or something.

pizzaoverhead for kerbtrack..

medsouz for making this work with my TrackIR!

I was actually worried this was some sort of massive troll but now im off to waste the next 48 hours on kerbal...

..Then i read the part about you going to all the trouble to patch it to work with the 64-bit...

It works fine if i run the _64.exe but stops working shortly after activating it on normal ksp.exe

But that's no problem cus i'm on a 64-bit system :D

So... yea... ... so happy right now :D

Thank-you so much!

SO AWESOME!

I had never imagined this would work, i thought there was no hope unless Naturalpoint did this themselves and i didn't imagine that happening unless these 2 companies sat down together or someone paid someone some money or something.

pizzaoverhead for kerbtrack..

medsouz for making this work with my TrackIR!

I was actually worried this was some sort of massive troll but now im off to waste the next 48 hours on kerbal...

Hmmm it should work on both 64bit and 32bit... Could you get me an error log so I can try to fix it?

Anyone able to help me at all?

What OS are you running? Could you post your output_log.txt file? Make sure you're leaving the freetrack client program open and working when you start KSP.

I'm running off Windows 8.1 64bit

I found two "output_log.txt" files so I just put both in a dropbox folder in the sub-folders I found them in. Plus I added the "KSP.log" file because it looks like it has some useful info on my computer.

Oh and I'm forcing OpenGL in my game if that matters.

Any other info you'd like?

I'm running off Windows 8.1 64bit

I found two "output_log.txt" files so I just put both in a dropbox folder in the sub-folders I found them in. Plus I added the "KSP.log" file because it looks like it has some useful info on my computer.

Oh and I'm forcing OpenGL in my game if that matters.

Any other info you'd like?

DllNotFoundException: FreeTrackClient

It isn't able to find the FreeTrackClient.dll. Check that it's installed next to KSP.exe.

You have some errors with regards to KSP being installed to the Program Files folder. Windows has special security settings for that folder that prevent KSP from working correctly. It may be causing the DLL problem, and possibly problems with other mods too. Moving it to, for example, C:\Games\Squad would prevent these issues.

You're also having issues with several other mods. In particular, KerbTrack and KerbQuake are broken in your install, and causing regular errors that will slow your game down without providing any of the their features. They should be removed until you have them working. There's also a small chance that KerbQuake and KerbTrack don't work together as they both move the camera. I haven't used KerbQuake myself. The other mods you should check for install issues or updates of are Distant Object Enhancement, Environmental Visual Enhancements, Kerbal Flight Data, Mod Statistics, Module Manager, Part Catalog, Raster Prop Monitor and Real Roster.

It isn't able to find the FreeTrackClient.dll. Check that it's installed next to KSP.exe.

Do you mean that I have to install the whole of freetrack inside of the KSP install folder or just copy the "FreeTrackClient.dll" file into the KSP install folder? I just copied the file.

wuosJiB.jpg

If that's not it I'll continue.

I Moved my KSP install folder to "C:/games/squad/" and updated all the mods from the list you gave that had updates and uninstalled KerbQuake but It still did not work.

I then made a fresh KSP install into "C:/games/squad/", installing only KerbTrack into the "GameData" folder and copying the "FreeTrackClient.dll" to the root folder. It still isn't working for me. I am leaving FreeTrack running as I open and run KSP. I know that's working because I have it's icon in my toolbar indicating so.

I have uploaded the same files as before but from the fresh install this time to a new dropbox folder.

Thanks so much for all this by the way! :D

Edited by Lucid Hills

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.