Your First Mun Landing

Mr.Rocket

This is a thread to share pictures, or of course stories, of your very first mun landing. It's a moment of pride when you realize how awesome this game really is. So dig up those old pictures and show them off! :D

This is my first Mun landing, back in August, September? Of course, ran out of fuel about 200 meters up, crash landed and only the pod survived. Unfortunately this is the only picture i took:

DgssUHv.png

Edit: I searched even deeper, and found my first landing in the DEMO! This is, of course, after about 5 times of crashing into the mun, and he never made it back :P

N5nLAZM.png

So lets see yours!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

I don't have pictures of my first Münar landing (I managed to get there once on the old days of 0.15), but I recall it going more or less like this one:

UOAtzwT.jpg

I've also got a picture of my first landing in Career mode. I tried to land on a slope and broke the antenna when the ship rolled down:

pWF8tYD.jpg

Edited by pauix
missed the 2nd pic

With this. Tenor Four capsule.

TriJaJh.jpg

Those are ASAS/inline reaction wheel parts with toroidal tanks clipped into them. Why? I don't know. TWR was far higher than necessary.

This ended up being a one way trip, but I did go and recover the lander as something to mark my 2000th post on these forums.

vcU2idO.png

That thread tells the story of a successful recovery mission.

The first place I landed was actually Minmus. Bill Kerman was stranded there with a very tall lander. Unfortunately, the screenshots have been lost to time.

Cooler, however, is my first Mun landing. I ran out of fuel on the lander, so I ejected from the cockpit and slowed myself down with my jetpack. And it worked! I should make a challenge for that...

First Mun landing, in career mode. Previous attempts ended in disaster - running out of fuel while burning retrograde while still at 3km up, landing on a slope and tipping over, accidentally switching to ROT mode several meters off the surface and spinning wildly out of control.

Mun%20Landing.png?psid=1

I made my first Mun landing, ignoring all suggestions to go to Minmus because it is easier, on October 25. Strangely enough most my following landings on Mun have seen in the same fashion until recently when I figured out how to managed my decent better. This one did make it of though so it was not a total loss.

205v8dd.png

Well, here's my first succesfull Mun mission, dated on 5th of November 2013.

You can see I had issues with lander stability on my previous attempts...

[table=width: 800]

[tr]

[td]

Javascript is disabled. View full album
[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

It was an amasing moment! I had two friends on audio while landing, and they were doing the same (well, one was, the other one was trying to reach a stable orbit :-D)

Edit: How to embed it so it makes a gallery?

Edit2: Found it :-)

Edited by 11of10

Oh man, it was back in 0.14 I think. Back in the days the only other body was Mun and persistence was the best thing since sliced bread:

21mwygg.jpg

I was already all over asparagus staging then. For the actual spacecraft I came up with the idea of an "inert crusher stage" where the lander would pull a stack of fuel tanks without engines behind it. That lot of fuel will be feed into the lander engines with fuel line and be used for trans-munar injection (and TMI back then were terrifying because orbital view didn't tell you change of SOI before hand, so each TMI was a shot in the dark) and deorbit burn. The crusher stage runs out of fuel shortly before touchdown and is cut loose early to crash on the Mun's surface.

2zh12qc.jpg

Here it is, safe on the surface. There wasn't EVA (or IVA for that matter) yet so there was little you could actually do on the surface.

I remember my first landing was actually on minmus, I was incredibly worried that my rocket wouldn't be able to get back to kerbin to my lander had about 1500dV composed of 3 x LV909 rockets attached to FL-T400 tanks which attached with radial decouplers to my central rocket, which was another LV909 attached to an FL-T200 with a materials bay on top and a Mk1 command module attached to that. it was vast and had 12 legs. one minor issue was that I ran out of power when aligning for my retro burn back from minmus. Now I can come out of a 10000m minmus orbit, land on minmus and return home with a single 48-7s and a FL-T200 tank, those where the days :D

My first landing was right after 0.14 came out... I couldn't figure out how to deploy the landing gear during my first test so I used fins on stack decouplers, instead. Those were the days. :D

Here's the first picture I still have of a Mun landing (I think it was 0.15 or 0.16. Which version had a total of three Kerbals in each pod? I can't remember anymore.). It was taken on June 23, 2012, and there is computer ad for Barack Obama's reelection in the top of the image. (Note: This image is not political in any way. :) )

7anvs4K.jpg

First Mun landing was in 0.18.2 I believe. I put it off for a while after starting and retreated to jets since I didn't know about transfer orbits haha. :)

Might have been 0.19 but can't remember, that came out in April so it might have been 0.18.2. :)

I didn`t go to Mun first, I went to Duna and played a month before I found out about the screenshot key it seems. This is my first documented mission. The first image its the first ever screenshot I took. the rovers didn`t land too well so that`s why the mission sort of ends there.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This is the first image of Mun I can find.

i8dnrdd.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.