B9 5.0 pre-release (with download)

K3-Chris

Posting to say this is 10/10 work. This is going to make some badass manly ~50 kerbal colony ships even more badass. Waitin' on that science lab version, that will be ***.

All good. :)

I'll figure out some way to spruce it up don't you worry.

My vote is for a large RPM screens/seat back monitors to show the cattle class camera footage of what they're missing.

Edited by SmarterThanMe

But this mod is, for a reason I can't begin to fathom, breaking KSPI generators. With this installed they all read "Power available: NAn" and indeed there is none. Tested both with and without K3 parts on the vehicle.

Really cool looking IVA for the 6M crewtank Chris, even if I'd never use it personally! Especially like how you moved the windows and hatches around.

Would you consider moving the hatch for the S2 cockpit to a similar location? Makes more sense for a spaceplane. :P

That is bizarre, let me look into that.

More information: Generators were attached to thermal receivers, and it wasn't possible to revert the flights from the launchpad. The option was ghosted with no explanation why.

I don't want to be like "Your damn mod broke all my stuff! How dare you!" It's not impossible it's a conflict with a third mod or something. I guess. I have no idea.

But if it's something reproducible and easily fixable that'd be neat.

0.5 just released, I couldn't reproduce your problem using 0.5, lets hope whatever it was I managed to inadvertently fix it? Please tell me if 0.5 fixes it for you.

0.5 has a consolidated folder structure layout and thus uses a lot less RAM and is smaller to download, but it means you need to delete old K3 folder before you update, this doesn't break savegame compatibility.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

S2 2m IVA and exterior model re-worked to be in-line with 6m version.

Oh and 0.5 adds KAS storage, 90 for the 6m 30 for the 2m, idea is that the bags stowed around the inside hold those things you put inside.

Sneak peek at what I'm working on next:

J76UfZM.png

Non-final interior texture obviously.

Side-on wireframe shows how I've done the window holes quite well, not done with them though, I'll widen them on the inside to give a beveled effect to give better visibility out the same window size the exterior model dictates.

Edited by K3|Chris

0.5 just released, I couldn't reproduce your problem using 0.5, lets hope whatever it was I managed to inadvertently fix it? Please tell me if 0.5 fixes it for you.

0.5 has a consolidated folder structure layout and thus uses a lot less RAM and is smaller to download, but it means you need to delete old K3 folder before you update, this doesn't break savegame compatibility.

http://imgur.com/a/7bi1S

Can also do S3 hypersonic pod?

Yeah, holding of a bit because I need to learn some animation stuff first, and need to link an animation on the outside to one on the inside but it's in my plans, as are S2WB crew tanks, HL sized crew tanks and HL sized cockpit, I might base it on http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66578-Early-WIP-Bingo-Aerospace-Blizzard-B9-styled-modular-cockpit-for-HL-fuselage 's design since he vanished before he released/finished it.

I would certainly get behind you using nothke's HL cockpit design. What's important with the cockpit is that it's usable. The S2 cockpit were it not for RPM panels, would be very impractical seeing as the Kerbals can't actually see through the windows.

What kind of crew capacity would you do for a HL cockpit? I'd advise No less than 4 and no more than 8.

If you want someone to test such a cockpit, I'd happily help out.

Yeah I think 6-7, 3-4 on the top floor, 2-3 on a floor bellow.

I got the source files for b9 so I can tweak any of the existing IVAs, planning on fixing that visibility issue in the S2 and Mk2 cockpits, also plan on adding a second floor to the S2 cockpit.

Have you considered possibly taking the S2 cockpit, reshaping the aft section slightly and resizing it to accomodate the HL fuselage? Though I think you'd have to scrap the existing IVA rather than rescaling it, but I'm not a modeller.

Either that or take design cues from the S2 cockpit for the HL one.

The HL fusilage is round with 2 flat portions on the sides, S2 is octagonal, the S2 design and texture only really works when angular while a HL pod would need to be mostly round, they're not really compatible.

0.5 just released, I couldn't reproduce your problem using 0.5, lets hope whatever it was I managed to inadvertently fix it? Please tell me if 0.5 fixes it for you..

Totally did, somehow!

Unless TAC Life Support has a modulemanager config for B9 it wouldn't.

I'm modifying the exterior model of the B9 parts and adding an IVA, but it's still the b9 parts, if TAC didn't add resources to b9 parts before my tweaks won't change that.

It's super easy to add using an MM config though:

@PART[B9_Cockpit_S2_Body_Crew]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 6
maxAmount = 6
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 6
maxAmount = 6
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 6
maxAmount = 6
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 6
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 6
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 6
}
}
@PART[B9_Cockpit_S2_Body_Crew_6m]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 28
maxAmount = 28
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 28
maxAmount = 28
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 28
maxAmount = 28
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 28
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 28
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 28
}
}
@PART[B9_Cockpit_MK5]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 3
maxAmount = 3
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 3
maxAmount = 3
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 3
maxAmount = 3
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 3
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 3
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 3
}
}
@PART[B9_Cockpit_M27]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2
}
}
@PART[B9_Cockpit_MK2]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2
}
}
@PART[B9_Cockpit_S2]:NEEDS[TacLifeSupport]
{
MODULE
{
name = LifeSupportModule
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Food
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Water
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Oxygen
amount = 2
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = CarbonDioxide
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Waste
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2
}
RESOURCE
{
name = WasteWater
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2
}
}

Copy that into a new <name of your choice>.cfg file somewhere inside gamedata, could put it in the K3 folder if you prefer, adds TAC storage to all b9 pods and crew tanks, one "unit" per kerbal, I don't play with TAC so I can't say how balanced that is but it's MM.cfgs to stock parts seem to fit that pattern, you'll need to add more life support for longer duration missions still obviously.

I'll include it into the next version since later MM supporting :NEEDS[modname] means you can check for mods being installed or not, hard-coding in those TACLS values stops the parts working for people that don't use it.

Hmm UShhqeW.png Just started KSP without that MM.cfg and got that prompt at the start, pods and crew tanks got 1 unit per crew inside, the MM.cfg should be superfluous?

Edited by K3|Chris

Making progress on the Mk5 IVA, but man It's tricky, it's a cone dictating a lot of curves and when making a cockpit you need to align surfaces to make them face the pilot(s) the result is very complex geometry, another hurdle is that the angle of the windows is very shallow, they're pretty long and start pretty much overhead and end almost a kerbal-lenght in front of the pilots to give the needed field of view I had to extend them a bit, but the result is that you can actually see forwards.

u7ljmW6.png

X0ohJZm.png

And the pièce de résistance:

ZRQQxAz.png

WemWMVu.png

Slight clipping issue I've fixed already.

Lines though the windows show where the old window length stopped, haven't exported the updated external model yet and though it was a good visual aid.

With the extended windows you can see the end of the runway from the start of it at 0 angle, before you would have to be pointing down a fair bit, this should afford much easier landings.

The downside is obviously a lot of volume between the kerbal and the end of the window that doesn't do much beyond the "dashboard" like setup around the kerbal, it will have a quite large amount of air behind it.

Also trying to figure out how to fit a ladder/stairs between the floor with the 2 chairs and the floor bellow, problem is that in real airplanes with that setup the cockpit isn't a separate part that starts right as the plane's cylindrical body turns into a frontal cone, the actual space for the cockpit extends backwards a bit into the cylindrical fuselage, back there on larger airplanes is a seat for a third crew member and either a door or staircase to the rest of the plane, and on say the 747-8 the lower floor in the nose is actually just part of the lower passenger floor with no direct means of access.

Yay, yeah a modified exterior would make a lot more sense *throws 4h+ of work in the bin*

9m3TnAd.png

Very quick mockup of modified exterior, should show where I'm going, hole would be more window ofc, affords a better IVA nose dropped a bit and shortened, windows angled steeper

Are you planning to have 4 seats in the cockpit?

Can you check if it is compatible with connected living spaces?

:)

EDIT:I am sorry if I ask too many questions :P

EDIT 2:Tested the fix. It works :)

Edited by Joshwoo69

3 or 5 I think, 2 pilots, 1-3 guys on the lower floor, 1 guy with a nice RPM setup like in the bottom of the Mk1-2 and possibly 2 "flight engineers" behind him if they fit, don't think they will though, we'll see.

If it doesn't work with CLS I'll make it work, I thought all parts with crew capacity would automatically be tagged as a living space?

Edited by K3|Chris

3 or 5 I think, 2 pilots, 1-3 guys on the lower floor, 1 guy with a nice RPM setup like in the bottom of the Mk1-2 and possibly 2 "flight engineers" behind him if they fit, don't think they will though, we'll see.

If it doesn't work with CLS I'll make it work, I thought all parts with crew capacity would automatically be tagged as a living space?

Ya I thought so.

Can we have a cabin for space flight?

The textures on my computer does not render :(

Can we have a cabin for space flight?

What do you mean by that?

The textures on my computer does not render :(

What textures on what part? Specificity is the key to problem solving.