[cryptography] The Weldon notes

ZodiaK

Javascript is disabled. View full album

[RESOURCES]

blog of person who found Weldon notes: http://www.swontario.ca

Chris Demwell's symbol analysis: http://pastebin.ca/2653426

the empty blog (referenced on the back of all notes): 000xyz.blog.ca

western university website: http://www.uwo.ca/

toronto star article: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/03/23/baffling_coded_messages_discovered_at_western_university.html

bmFhkoY.png

something enigmatic is playing out at Western University campus in London, Ont.

whilst going through the library, Mike Moffatt (Assistant Professor in the Business, Economics and Public Policy group at Ivey) found a strange envelope,

and within it, a cryptic note with a plastic leaf attached:

NqurEyN.jpg?1

there are now 18 notes that have been found so far.

YOUR MISSION:

It is now up to The Science Labs of the KSP forums to attempt to crack the code.

do you have what it takes to decode...

The Weldon Notes?

Holy cow, there's 18 now? When I last heard about them they'd only found 3.

I'm planning on going to this university next year, do you think if I crack these notes I'll get a scholarship? ;)

Edited by Extemporary

Seriously what makes people think this is something other than an elaborate joke.

You got that backwards. What makes people think that it is an elaborate joke? Because an elaborate joke would have a solution. A dumb one would be just random symbols. But you always hope that you got intrigued and pulled into wasting your time by someone intelligent, which would imply an elaborate joke.

I don't think anyone seriously entertains the idea that this is anything but a joke, though.

You got that backwards. What makes people think that it is an elaborate joke? Because an elaborate joke would have a solution. A dumb one would be just random symbols. But you always hope that you got intrigued and pulled into wasting your time by someone intelligent, which would imply an elaborate joke.

I don't think anyone seriously entertains the idea that this is anything but a joke, though.

The joke is that there is no solution, someone's playing mindgames on idiots seeing conspiracies and secret codes everywhere.

The joke is that there is no solution, someone's playing mindgames on idiots seeing conspiracies and secret codes everywhere.

He gave us free entertainment! Ha ha, we really got tricked there!

Look for the most common symbol. That's the E. Keep going like that though the alphabet.

There are about 50 different symbols according to the OP, so that still leaves over 20 symbols unaccounted for.

0-9 adds another 10. Then there's commas, periods, colons, semi-colons, question marks, exclamation marks, you name it.

So the English cipher theory remains. If this works, give me half the Nobel Prize. :)

REALIZATION: No matter what the green symbol is in each note, it must be an E!

Edited by The Jedi Master

• 2 months later...
Look for the most common symbol. That's the E. Keep going like that though the alphabet.

:D If it were a primitive cypher then that might help. What if it's in another language? Procedurally generated? Slightly changes with every paper according to a key in specific position? Full of duds? Etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.