Vote on NASA's New Spacesuit

Things are very wrong when space suit color is decided by NASA-sponsored crowd-sourcing instead of by thermal engineering and practical requirements.

This sort of thing really makes me doubt that all NASA's exploration policy is serious at all. I think they are aware at this point that all they will ever produce are pretty 3D renderings and powerpoint slides. The only Mars landing we will see in our lifetimes will be a 2 minute YouTube clip in CGI.

Things are very wrong when space suit color is decided by NASA-sponsored crowd-sourcing instead of by thermal engineering and practical requirements.

From the FAQ from that website:

Is the design that is selected going to fly to space?

No, as the Z-series is still in the prototype or non-flight phase. The cover layer of a non-flight suit, which is used for ground-based testing, serves as abrasion/snag protection, a cover for technical details, and to a lesser extent, aesthetics. For a flight suit which is actually used for a spacewalk, the cover layer performs many other important functions such as micrometeorite, thermal and radiation protection. These requirements drive selection of specific high-performance materials and design details that would preclude us from using many of the features you see in these options for the Z-2 suit.

Were I to guess, I would say that all three schemes met requirements before being offered as an option in the poll. NASA isn't that bad.

Edit: Or I could just read the FAQ like Holo did.

From the FAQ from that website:

Is the design that is selected going to fly to space?

No, as the Z-series is still in the prototype or non-flight phase. The cover layer of a non-flight suit, which is used for ground-based testing, serves as abrasion/snag protection, a cover for technical details, and to a lesser extent, aesthetics. For a flight suit which is actually used for a spacewalk, the cover layer performs many other important functions such as micrometeorite, thermal and radiation protection. These requirements drive selection of specific high-performance materials and design details that would preclude us from using many of the features you see in these options for the Z-2 suit.

An operational space-suit is either for flight or EVA or training. The color of a flight suit should be bright orange or day-glo yellow to increase visibility in case of a bailout. The color of an EVA suit should be white for thermal reflection. The color and material of a training or test suit should be the same as an operational suit.

Black/dark grey with battery-powered leds for "ground-based testing" (whatever that is) is just silly PR that serves no functional purpose.

Edited by Nibb31

I am sure that they won't use any of these designs and that this is just a publicity gimmick.

I do feel the luminescent wires could be useful when a wearer is in deep shadow to enable others to see where he/she is and which way she/he is positioned - but they would end up being overlaid on the normal titanium white/orange layer as appropriate for the use of the suit.

If it was an option, I'd choose the original Z-1 color scheme. Buzz Lightyear FTW!

Then again, I'm not an engineer, so my only reasons to pick it are because it looks cool and it looks like yould actually use them in space. Not like those LED covered ****** designs...

Colors aside this thing just looks... Weird. The whole look of it, particularly the hanging fabric covering where I presume the hard connections are, makes it look more like a TV show prop than an actual functioning spacesuit. That being said, I voted for technology, but had there been a classic white one with exposed red and blue metal components I would've been on that in a heartbeat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.