KSP and open day in my school

Reeposter

Hey Kerbonauts!

Tommorow in my high school will be held "open day", so I decided to organize KSP showcase on physics class. I want to land on Mun about 15 times (one landing for each group of students), and maybe (if I had enough time) to go back to Kerbin with my KWRocketry based rocket. But there is a trouble - what exactly should I present? In my actual plan I would like to say few words about orbiting (I'm thinking, that there will be many kids, who still thinks, that flying in space is all about going up and then you're magically hanging above the earth), space programs (for example diffirences between Apollo program and mine), type of fuels, technical things etc. As I am in physics class I also decided to do some calculations, like escape velocity for Kerbin, work and power of rocket. I don't know what to do more - the journey will be a little bit long, so I don't want to improvise all the time ;)

Do you have any ideas what interesting things can I say/calculate to not bore this people?

comment_BoxtYlf7FjSLaSiycB1zy1ANSmxl2TiN.jpg

Picture of today's trial :> Captured by the microwave XD

ACCF15C2070FD1BB8381C72A30BD6B4B99E8B3D3

Screenshot of rocket - "Serowy Bolek" (pol. Cheese Bolek - bolek is diminutive of name Boleslaw - our school is named after Boleslaw Chrobry - first polish king :P)

Use the more boring parts of the flight to explain concepts, show them what is going on and why. i.E. :Talk about tangential velocity while doing the long burn to get an orbit or something. then scale back on the teaching when doing the inherantly interesting parts (launch, landing, ect)

Maybe speak about the difficulties associated with just achieving orbit, give them some idea of just how much energy goes into getting our squishy bodies out into space and what we go through in the process.

That's all I can think of at the moment. :)

First of all it's completely awesome that you're going to be doing this at your school! If you're going to do it fifteen times, I reckon you need to keep it short :) How much time per session?

For educational purposes, you may want to focus on what will most baffle the layman. In a mission to the Mun, that would probably be:

1. The gravity turn. Going into orbit doesn't involve going up nearly as much as it does going sideways. You just need to go up high enough to clear the surface and the atmosphere. Explaining this during a launch will teach one of the most basic orbital mechanics.

2. The transfer. Getting from Kerbin to the Mun doesn't mean you point your nose there and burn, it means pushing your apoapsis out far enough that you'll catch up the Mun. You will have demonstrated the basic apoapsis/periapsis mechanic during launch so it will make sense when you explain the transfer.

3. The capture. Once you're over the Mun, you need to pull your apoapsis in so you stay in orbit there. Again it's the same basic mechanics but now you're orbiting a different body. You may want to mention that KSP's model of spheres of influence is an abstraction and that in reality the "switch" would be a smooth transition, but don't go into n-body physics or people will zone out.

4. If you have the time, do the landing. Explain that it's basically the same as the launch but in reverse - you're slowing down your sideways velocity mostly and spending relatively little time going straight down. Then run a happy little Kerbal around on the surface and plant a flag, that should make a great ending.

Sure you could talk about thrust-to-weight ratios, delta-v, turn gradients, free return trajectories and what not... But I'd keep it simple. Basic orbital mechanics are almost completely unknown to most people and KSP represents them really nicely with those expanding ellipses on the screen so they're easy to understand. People will feel like they really learned something new and they got to watch flaming rockets and little green men.

Edit: I wouldn't bother returning unless you have a lot of time. When you think about it, it's basically just a repeat of getting to the Mun but in reverse.

Edited by Wayfare

I really don't know how much time I will have - it all depends on groups, how many there will be (year ago were about 20-25) and there is no plan which school will come on which hour. We have only schedule, that we are starting at 9 am, and we will end at 1 pm. If there will be a fluency, only very short breaks etc. probably we will have 12 minutes for each session.

I agree with Wayfare, for the most part. But I think if you're strapped for time, start from Munar orbit, land and then return from there. I feel like the landing on the mum is the big "wow" factor thing here, and that ought to keep people's attention. Maybe. I guess I would try different things as the day went on, if I were you, see which they like more. That part, I guess is up to you, as I suspect you know your audience a little better than me.

As for talking points, talk about how, of the 9.5(ish) km/s dV to get to earth orbit, 8(ish) km/s is all going towards your velocity, which basically means less than 15% of the effort of getting into orbit is about fighting gravity. (note, you'll also have to explain how dV is like your currency as far as space travel goes)

I bet watching a Scott Manley tutorial (specifically a tutorial, not any of his series) might help you to find the right tone to strike in terms of how to explain rockets to lay-people.

This is a wonderful idea. Let us know how it turns out! How "into" the class are the rest of the students? That might determine your direction.

Probably I didn't understood Your question in right way - my physics class (there are profiles in second year in polish high schools - I'm in phys-math) is not involved in this "project" - this was my initiative, to do something... hmmm not typical to encourage lower grade students to select this school. I invited only one person to help with calculations.

Edited by Reeposter

Definitely use map view during the later stages of launch to show apo/periapsis (apogee and perigee in reference to Earth) and how orbit is really just falling around the planet (Falling and missing the planet!). I just watched the latest episode of Cosmos which demonstrated that part. Due to time constraints I wouldn't worry too much about landing on the Mun, just crash or crashland into it. Crashing things is part of the appeal of KSP, after all. Along those lines you may wish to have a RUD (Rapid Unplanned Disassembly; premature staging should do it) during launch, then do a quick revert and do it right. And don't forget to ask Squad for a commision on all the classmates you sign up! (j/k :cool:)

I think the Rowsdowser's question was how attentive the class is. Is it mostly "geeks" that are right into science stuff, or more jock-types that are only there because they have to be? I'm guessing with this 'profile' system it'll be the former. Sounds like a good system.

I think, that landing on the Mun is possible with that amount of time, I will see tommorow in the last trial before start, how long does it takes to do all what I want :>

Alright, good luck! And whatever you do just make sure you're excited about it. If you are, your students will be too :)

Sounds like an awesome idea :D

One question to bear in mind: How much physics will the kids you're presenting to have? I guess since you're trying to persuade them to choose your school, it'll be less than you. So you will need to keep the level of the science at (or just a little above) their level, or you will lose their interest and attention.

One possible idea for the presentation itself: Choose a maneuver (launch, landing, transfer, etc.) and demonstrate the intuitive but wrong way then the right way. So for a launch, go straight up and show that you don't get to orbit, then demonstrate and explain a proper gravity turn.

I think the Rowsdowser's question was how attentive the class is. Is it mostly "geeks" that are right into science stuff, or more jock-types that are only there because they have to be? I'm guessing with this 'profile' system it'll be the former. Sounds like a good system.

Hehe :D It only sounds like good system - I mean, there are few really good learning students, who are gaining all good grades, rest barely passed semester. I'm in this second group - I really like physics, but when it comes to do some more complicated calculations.... ehh I really need to to more exercises, because I have huge problems with physics now. It's like - I really like few sections for example astronomy, gravity - and I can speak about that and trivias connected with it for hours, but when it comes to do the test it's like wall... Teachers are mainly focused on better students, and from lesson to lesson we have more arrears. Few years ago I was "fighting" for being the best student in class, now I want to pass year :< Because of "profiles" you have much more hours of extended subjects - I have 10 hours (5 basics, and 5 extended) of math and 5 of physics in one week - I stopped to keep up, because I was not used to such a schedule like this.

Ok, I think that I should limit time for KSP and do more exercises :>

Thanks for all tips, see You tommorow - before the "show" I will read them again :) I think, that after this I will post some informations on blog how it went. Now all I want is some sleep :P

Good night/have a nice day :D

Edited by Reeposter

I'd consider using MechJeb at least for the correct launch to orbit. It's easier for you to talk when you're not actually having to control the ship.

Also, if at all possible get some other computers and install the KSP Demo on them. Print out a controls "Cheat Sheet" - just WASDQE, Shift and Control, Space, and M will do it. Sit the Kerbal 5 on the pad and let people try and reach orbit themselves. Assuming you're a student, you might want a teacher around to make sure no one person hogs the computer for the whole session.

well, I was thinking for any teacher that's at the place, you could tell people that, whatever may be "unrealistic" can... be made realistic via mod (except for Kerbals and Kerbin etc.)....

Otherwise, I'd go along with what others said : its not all going up, to transfer in space point prograde and burn... etc.

but don't add too many things....

btw : definetly tell them that you don't float in space because of "a lack of gravity".

SNIP

Agreed with everything Wayfare said! :)

It is awesome you're doing this, I mentioned KSP to my engineering teacher and tried explaining the physics is uses and how it can be a learning tool -- but unfortunately, we don't have beefy enough computers or the licenses for distributing copies of the game.

Also, the more the merrier! I'm glad to see people trying to teach others about the marvels of space flight (and space in general). There's a lot of unique things to learn and if you get sucked into it, you will become passionate! That's why rocketry and space exploration is so special -- it changes your life! It will be a good way to grab people out of this (mostly) disgusting world we live in, where all people care about are things that are quite insignificant when you think about it (i.e. things not appropriate to discuss here).

So, good luck! :)

Hey, if you only have ~12 minutes to do this, you should probably prerecord a Mun landing, edit out all the boring bits, and explain as the video plays. 12 minutes seems like too short a time to perform a Munar landing with explanation, however basic.

It's nice to see KSP in an educational setting :)

When demoing the program with your goal of a Mun landing, maybe do Minmus due to its ease of landing there and its green cheese color, have several flights already in progress. A couple in orbit, some orbiting Mun or Minmus, some landed, and others ready to go.

You could start with a quick building of a simple suborbital that crashes because there was no parachute and coupler. Then show one properly built. Next, a gravity turn VS straight up that shows the difference in reentry forces. Go to a orbital flight. Take one in orbit and show how to do a Munar insertion and capture. Land one on Minmus. Do the exploration. Launch and return showing how aerobraking works. Show that the shallow angle places less stress on the Kerbal then a suicide plunge.

All that will depend on the time available, But, do move things along with time acceleration as needed explaining that the real world is not condensed as the Kerbal world is.

If time permits, use the stock game to reduce confusion, let some of the students build and fly their own designs.

While a video is OK, having the actual program being displayed on a big flat screen TV or projector is even better. That is how I demo it to groups.

Edited by SRV Ron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.