KVV - Kronal Vessel Viewer = Exploded ship view + Axes on the VAB + other stuff: now released into public domain

kronal

@bigorangemachine - is there any way to remove the shadow from the KVV ?

I focus mainly on SSTOs and SPH and shadow is annoying as hell

Otherwise, some nice shots can be made with it. Keep up the good work

This feature is in 0.0.4 with a few others that SPH builders will be all over ;). Will be released very soon.

This feature is in 0.0.4 with a few others that SPH builders will be all over ;). Will be released very soon.

Awesome.

Btw there is one more thing that popped to mind. You could read a list of resources and perhaps Vessel info (deltaV etc etc) from the .craft file (like kerbal engineer does in it's VAB and SPH pop-ups), and maybe put a checkbox to embed that data on the screenshot (i.e. on the blueprint tab).

I have done few of those manually, i will post here later tonight as an example if you are interested :-).

I think something like this would be a fantastic blueprint maker for craft sharing site like KerbalX

Really looking forward to 0.0.4 :-)

Awesome.

Btw there is one more thing that popped to mind. You could read a list of resources and perhaps Vessel info (deltaV etc etc) from the .craft file (like kerbal engineer does in it's VAB and SPH pop-ups), and maybe put a checkbox to embed that data on the screenshot (i.e. on the blueprint tab).

I have done few of those manually, i will post here later tonight as an example if you are interested :-).

I think something like this would be a fantastic blueprint maker for craft sharing site like KerbalX

Really looking forward to 0.0.4 :-)

Yea we got some ideas.

My main goal is to provide tools you can't use with photoshop first. My goal is to give people tools for sharing.

Putting a table into an image can be tricky because you have to account for width of the text(a 1 isn't as wide as an 8) so it can be real trouble. Then we'd have problems where people might complain about other issues (font/size/position). It'd just be easier to leave that option as flexible as possible.

I'm leaning towards Engineer integration but I don't like how you 'have' to have the part on the vessel. If we do export data it'll go to an html/xml/json file.

I'm leaning towards Engineer integration but I don't like how you 'have' to have the part on the vessel. If we do export data it'll go to an html/xml/json file.

Just FYI, the 1.0.x version of KER is partless by default (though you can still use the parts to keep legacy craft working).

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Fantastic plugin.

But i got a question: When I take pictures of crafts of different sizes, put them together in Paint, they are not to scale. How can i have all my craft blueprints to scale? is there something I missed?

I just keep seeing people's screenshots featuring their entire fleets, with all crafts compared to each other in size.

I used my own stupid method: keep fiddling with the in-game increase/decrease size until I get it to perfect scale. is this how everyone else did that? :-/

(yeah, I'm good with Paint's re-sizing too, but that changes the outlines' thickness)

But i got a question: When I take pictures of crafts of different sizes, put them together in Paint, they are not to scale. How can i have all my craft blueprints to scale? is there something I missed?

I just keep seeing people's screenshots featuring their entire fleets, with all crafts compared to each other in size.

I used my own stupid method: keep fiddling with the in-game increase/decrease size until I get it to perfect scale. is this how everyone else did that? :-/

The plugin tries to export the highest quality possible without drawing the wrath of the white lines (fixed in 0.0.4). So its priority is high quality renders. Not keeping it to scale.

Probably what other users did is they lined up one part to be the same size. This is pretty easy in photoshop. There are alternatives to photoshop such as GIMP (or if you are a google master I am sure there is a photoshop for HTML5). I really encourage people to get comfortable with a photo editor.

I'm sure the people who share their KVV compositions would best answer those types of questions themselves (Banana).

I'd also like to take a second and mention that MrBlaQ has mad an amazing contribution to this release of KVV this week.

[iN RESPONSE TO OTHER FEATURE REQUESTS]

I'm really leaning towards that (photo editors) being way for people to make 'posters' and other creative endeavors. I'm more looking ways to leverage them (that users may know better) rather than these more complex 'scales', 'stats' and 'line' functionality (while I'll try to provide ways to make these feasible such as stat exporting to a file).

However, its not to say that if somebody does a good job as a community submission I would accept it! It would just be a project onto itself.

If you think about how these rockets are built (standard sizes) and get creative you can workout these scales and grid lines fairly easily. You can screenshot the stats from Engineer redux or use one of the many KSP tools already out there to get the stats you wish. The features you are requesting are obvious and (some) rather good; however if a little effort is applied you can solve a lot of these issues with creativity and common sense. People are requesting features that are already in the works, so if its an obvious flaw you don't need to comment on it.

If people want to be helpful and constructive about the project please utilize the github issues.

That answered my question! :)

I really encourage people to get comfortable with a photo editor.

I'll have you know that I'm extremely comfortable with Paint, my screenshots on that page are to perfect scale ;)

I only needed to know that i'm not just overworking this.

Hi!

Seems like a really awesome mod, however I seem to be having some issues with it. First and foremost is that it seems to crash quite a bit. I've been trying to catalog my awesome new Crewed Transfer Vehicle for posterity, but whenever I try and screenshot it, the game crashes (If people want, I can post a link to the crash report). The second thing is, I can't seem to be able to find the Exploded view (I'm probably just derping around with this one). If anyone can help me out, I would gladly appreciate it, as would my spacecraft!

Hi!

Seems like a really awesome mod, however I seem to be having some issues with it. First and foremost is that it seems to crash quite a bit. I've been trying to catalog my awesome new Crewed Transfer Vehicle for posterity, but whenever I try and screenshot it, the game crashes (If people want, I can post a link to the crash report). The second thing is, I can't seem to be able to find the Exploded view (I'm probably just derping around with this one). If anyone can help me out, I would gladly appreciate it, as would my spacecraft!

Recent Change 'Exploded View' became 'Offset View' (because we're not really blowing up the vessel). Its the first row of buttons top left corner.

Blueprints/images are saved to <KSP ROOT>/Screenshots

During testing I didn't experience many crashes. However day-to-day playing on my modless (not even KVV) KSP editor is very unstable and I'd be willing to bet its more of an issue with KSP. If you open your debug logs and the last few lines appear to be related to KVV I'd be happy to see them. However please post the bug report into GitHub Issues. Forums are too hard for other users to come through and dig through the forum. Also if the bug is confirmed in the forums it'll get lost in the other posts.

If you bump the 'image quality' too high it could crash if your computer can't handle the render you are trying to kick out. I recommend leaving it in the middle or test by using lower image quality.

Thanks.

Recent Change 'Exploded View' became 'Offset View' (because we're not really blowing up the vessel). Its the first row of buttons top left corner.

Blueprints/images are saved to <KSP ROOT>/Screenshots

During testing I didn't experience many crashes. However day-to-day playing on my modless (not even KVV) KSP editor is very unstable and I'd be willing to bet its more of an issue with KSP. If you open your debug logs and the last few lines appear to be related to KVV I'd be happy to see them. However please post the bug report into GitHub Issues. Forums are too hard for other users to come through and dig through the forum. Also if the bug is confirmed in the forums it'll get lost in the other posts.

If you bump the 'image quality' too high it could crash if your computer can't handle the render you are trying to kick out. I recommend leaving it in the middle or test by using lower image quality.

Thanks.

Cheers for helping me out! The Crash issue is resolved now, but the Exploded view / offset view thing is still persisting. Hmmph.

@bigorangemachine Looks like you really enjoyed the angled views in my pictures! Were my pics the inspiration for the new angle views? :cool:

I actually messaged you to see if you were savvy enough to download the new version when you did because thats about when the first implementation of the new feature is done.

Have you been trying the new camera controls out? I'm sure you like them :D

HI,

I just downloaded this from Curse and I too cannot get the explode view to work. What gives?

my offset button isnt working either, im trying to get it to work on kerbal x rocket

I have no clue what to base your problems on if you don't provide a craft file. Everything works for me so I can't troubleshoot it without seeing what crafts are not breaking apart.

I have no clue what to base your problems on if you don't provide a craft file. Everything works for me so I can't troubleshoot it without seeing what crafts are not breaking apart.

It doesn't work with any craft..

I followed the instructions to the letter.

It doesn't work with any craft..

I followed the instructions to the letter.

No doubt. But I need a starting point for troubleshooting.

If its working for me its very difficult for me to troubleshoot.

Are you guys using 0.24?

I just downloaded it from kerbal stuff and it worked fine.

If you downloaded from Kronal's page thats the old 0.23 version.

[EDIT]

Issue is that if you don't have the KAS or PF mod installed it doesn't explode.

[EDIT 2]

Fix coming. More testing this time ;)

Edited by bigorangemachine

No doubt. But I need a starting point for troubleshooting.

If its working for me its very difficult for me to troubleshoot.

Are you guys using 0.24?

I just downloaded it from kerbal stuff and it worked fine.

If you downloaded from Kronal's page thats the old 0.23 version.

[EDIT]

Issue is that if you don't have the KAS or PF mod installed it doesn't explode.

[EDIT 2]

Fix coming. More testing this time ;)

You need KAS and PF to use exploded view? Strange.

Will wait for a fix, thanks.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.