Do you use the launch escape system?

montyben101

How often do you use the escape tower  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use the escape tower

• Every manned launch
    • Sometimes
    • Never

If there were random failures I might use it. Things like engines failing/exploding. That's what the LES is meant for in real life.

As things are, I'm pretty decent about making rockets that don't fall apart, so I don't really need it.

I've been using any mod LESs that are relevant to the size of the pod I'm launching, and it's nice to have a stock part provided!

It needs its own manual decoupler for the pod attachment point so it's not two parts instead of one.

That would be nice, but I find it's largely unnecessary - I almost always use a docking port on top of capsules and use that to decouple the LES tower.

I hate to say it, but when it starts going south on ascent, I revert back to:

Launch - when it was me - screwing up - hitting stage by accident, etc.

VAB - when it was me - screwing up - forgot something needed later or just not able to fly it in it's current design configuration.

If they make it into vacuum, well ... all Kerbal's for themselves at that point! :)

Ever since I learned that rockets do not generate their own abort system, immediately followed by how to set one up, I've been putting decouplers and parachutes everywhere. I've used the tower a few times before learning about this, though. I tend to use the tower when I'm building a large rocket. I've been thinking of using it in recent builds, but it's be just for fun if anything else.

I use them to seperate my spent asparagus stages. I only do this with the new large tanks as the sepertrons are too weak. It is really quite effective.

I too used a couple to see what would happen if mounted on top of a couple SRB's. On separation, it was quite spectacular to see the spent solids race ahead of the rest of the rocket. Haven't incorporated the into a better working design though.

I use them to seperate my spent asparagus stages. I only do this with the new large tanks as the sepertrons are too weak. It is really quite effective.

That's a great idea! I answered "never" to the poll but I might need to change it in light of this!

Depends on how many you use, how they are placed and when they are used. I found a good rule of thumb is 2 per fuel tank with the ends pointing away from the center stack otherwise this happens:

7F7516C9A43E54B08BD1DDB87C7B43A3808BFB9E

But, yeah. I have not onced used the LES part yet. Either I restart or they go out in a blaze of glory or I have a better system anyways. Usually for me. The rockets take out anything on the nose of the pod or right below the pod or outright kills them before I get the chance to abort or the failure/destruction would make it pointless to use as the pod is safe as can be.

Well, i used escape systems for rockets and planes witch are new. Because they can be unpredictible.

Before i used for rockets my own LES, but now it's sometimes not more needed (with the stock-LES). But, to make things easyer without clipping and adding sepretons:

Please SQUAD, do not only increase the thrust for the LES, so that it can be used on bigger rockets during the first phase in a flight. Supply stackable parachutes and a second stage (an build in decoupler and small solid rocket engines) to your LES to get rid of it when it's used, or if not longer needed in flight (like in reality).

Edited by Heagar

I use the LES:

-For detaching nose-cones from fuel storage modules (I need a 2.5M node at each end for docking, but I like my aerodynamics)

-For separating radial tanks when I can't be bothered to troubleshoot seperatron issues.

-For manned missions when I don't want a shielded docking node (I always use radial parachutes anyway)

-For "special projects" where crew-escape is very useful: high speed ground vehicles, low altitude jets, ridiculous contraptions, etc. When your "rover" is travelling at over 300m/s on the ground, it's nice to have a backup when things go wrong.

Depending on how much it costs when funding comes into play it could be a very useful part indeed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.