Better Atmospheres Development Thread

For some reason I can't get it to work.

My KSP just crashes....

I have everything installed, in the order you stated. Deleted the folders/files you asked to be deleted... yet it crashes me... too bad the crash reports don't tell you where the problem is...

Also, not my PC. I have a very good rig (not to be modest).

For some reason I can't get it to work.

My KSP just crashes....

I have everything installed, in the order you stated. Deleted the folders/files you asked to be deleted... yet it crashes me... too bad the crash reports don't tell you where the problem is...

Also, not my PC. I have a very good rig (not to be modest).

You might be running out of memory, you have a lot of mods?

Immediately going to download it. I especially like your light Eve. It is light and dense like Venus. Though I hate you a little bit for making it so hard to decide... I really want Proot's Pack because what I saw of it looked good as hell.. But I also want your pack ahhh :D

Immediately going to download it. I especially like your light Eve. It is light and dense like Venus. Though I hate you a little bit for making it so hard to decide... I really want Proot's Pack because what I saw of it looked good as hell.. But I also want your pack ahhh :D

Maybe you could make some kind of combination of the two when proot releases his pack? I'll be downloading his for the rings, and some of the custom clouds, and all that stuff, but keep my Atmosphere settings.

Maybe you could make some kind of combination of the two when proot releases his pack? I'll be downloading his for the rings, and some of the custom clouds, and all that stuff, but keep my Atmosphere settings.

Yeah I guess I will combine your atmosphere with his skybox, planet textures, and all that chatterer and hot rockets custom stuff. Well only if he doesn't bet you to it with the atmospheres :P

Probably gonna head to bed soon, and since 90% of my responses come from 5AM - 12PM GMT-5, I'll go ahead and ask these now.

Laythe - Would you guys like to see a titan-esque Laythe? With a cloud layer almost completely covering the planet[land could still be seen, so you won't need scansat to land on laythe], once you pass that layer it will be very hazy, and a visible blue horizon from orbit? I'm still thinking of what color the layer should be, so if you guys are down with this idea, I would like if you suggested a color.(I dunno about orange, because titan is already orange and that would seem a tiny bit un-original, but if you guys would be okay with orange that could work very well)

Ike - I really don't know about Ike, should it reflect sunlight like the Mun does? While the game or the wiki doesn't seem to say if Ike and the Mun are made of the same materials, they look like they share the same materials. Either that or my eyes need serious fixing. Maybe lighter reflection, maybe more noticeable reflection, maybe none at all, whichever, I would like your opinion on it.

Eeloo/Vall - So I've been reading up, and both Pluto and Europa have a thin atmospheres. Being that Vall is an analogue for Europa, and Eeloo being an analogue for Pluto, should either Vall or Eeloo get an atmosphere, or should they both? Or would you rather no changes to them? Any thoughts on this?

If you have any ideas for other planets, do tell. I'm all up for new ideas. I plan V4 will be the full-ish release of it, getting its own add-on releases thread. It will still be worked on, and you can suggest ideas on the dev page, but it will mostly be done until new editing tools arise for me to mess around even more. v4 should hopefully have atmospheres on the ground changed, so give some ideas for that if you can.

In the meantime, enjoy V3 and give some good feedback about what's already there :)

Edited by Thesonicgalaxy

Probably gonna head to bed soon, and since 90% of my responses come from 5AM - 12PM GMT-5, I'll go ahead and ask these now.

Laythe - Would you guys like to see a titan-esque Laythe? With a cloud layer almost completely covering the planet[land could still be seen, so you won't need scansat to land on laythe], once you pass that layer it will be very hazy, and a visible blue horizon from orbit? I'm still thinking of what color the layer should be, so if you guys are down with this idea, I would like if you suggested a color.(I dunno about orange, because titan is already orange and that would seem a tiny bit un-original, but if you guys would be okay with orange that could work very well)

Ike - I really don't know about Ike, should it reflect sunlight like the Mun does? While the game or the wiki doesn't seem to say if Ike and the Mun are made of the same materials, they look like they share the same materials. Either that or my eyes need serious fixing. Maybe lighter reflection, maybe more noticeable reflection, maybe none at all, whichever, I would like your opinion on it.

Eeloo/Vall - So I've been reading up, and both Pluto and Europa have a thin atmospheres. Being that Vall is an analogue for Europa, and Eeloo being an analogue for Pluto, should either Vall or Eeloo get an atmosphere, or should they both? Or would you rather no changes to them? Any thoughts on this?

If you have any ideas for other planets, do tell. I'm all up for new ideas.

In the meantime, enjoy V3 and give some good feedback about what's already there :)

Well, Laythe getting an Titan-esque atmosphere is a certainly good idea, though I wouldn't go with orange..

As far as Ike, Eeloo and Vall go, go with what looks cool so long as it doesn't actually add an actual atmosphere, maybe just some haze like your previous version of the Mun looked like.

As far as Ike, Eeloo and Vall go, go with what looks cool so long as it doesn't actually add an actual atmosphere, maybe just some haze like your previous version of the Mun looked like.

Seeing as there's no way i know of to actually add an atmosphere to them, That's what I had planned. I'll look around the web for some pics of what Eeloo and Pluto look like from the surface, and try to replicate that.

Exactly, I could go with purple, but that's kinda Eve's job. I'm trying to think of other possible colors. Any ideas?

Well, I am thinking and thinking :D Maybe we can go with something reddish or yellowish ... So it is still a bit reminiscent of the light orange/beige of Titan but well another Color. Though Duna is reddish... Well it is a hard question :D

Well, I am thinking and thinking :D Maybe we can go with something reddish or yellowish ... So it is still a bit reminiscent of the light orange/beige of Titan but well another Color. Though Duna is reddish... Well it is a hard question :D

Reddish yellowish is certainly the best option right now, but I'd rather see other suggestions that pop up first before making that decision.

Titan's atmosphere is orange because of the methane* atmosphere. Laythe is too warm and has an oxygen atmosphere.

I suspect we'll see a proper Titan analogue once the game gets a second gas giant.

*Correction: "The orange color as seen from space must be produced by other more complex chemicals in small quantities, possibly tholins, tar-like organic precipitates." - Wikipedia

So yes, too warm for that.

Edited by colmo

Like this?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1w1wvg/created_a_new_cloud_texture_for_laythe_a_hostile/

I would love to see smth like this as a part of BA! :)

Titan's atmosphere is orange because of the methane* atmosphere. Laythe is too warm and has an oxygen atmosphere.

I suspect we'll see a proper Titan analogue once the game gets a second gas giant.

*Correction: "The orange color as seen from space must be produced by other more complex chemicals in small quantities, possibly tholins, tar-like organic precipitates." - Wikipedia

So yes, too warm for that.

Alright, so Orange is out of the question. Thanks for the Info.

Great, now what? I really can't think of any other color besides purple, but Eve exists.

That's what I plan. However, colmo informed me that laythe is too warm for the color orange. So another color must be chosen.

This is how Titan looks (with Rhea passing):

http://wanderingspace.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/titan-and-rhea_jun2011.jpg

EDIT: Well, I'm not a chemist but maybe there's someone here who could suggest some color based on reality?

Been experimenting with colors in paint.net, and Purple-Red.gif(NOTE NOT THIS EXACT COLOR BUT CLOSE)

Seems to look nice in paint.net, but as you said, It would be nice to get someone here more educated in the subject to give us a realistic cloud color.