Pet peeves

SpacedCowboy

Forever and always ( and prolly true for everyone who has usedExtraplanetary Launch, and Kethane for bases off world) wheels... wheels wheels wheelzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Just a little more strength on the connection point

Try strutting them to the frame, or to each other. I found it prevents "rubberbanding", which causes a lot of crashes.

My own workaround for part A: Leave the item in 1x until you get it where you want it, then hit "x" until you get the desired symmetry.

But then I have to keep switching symmetry modes every time I add a part. I should be able to set the mode I want and leave it there, not constantly switch back and forth.

The second part actually makes sense. One of the important things about symmetry is, well, symmetry. But you could build a booster stack in 1x, then build the modified booster stack in 1x. Then use 4x or 6x on the first stack and 2x on the second stack.

Building asparagus stages, I will sometimes build different fueltank/engine stacks for the pairs. I can easily place the radial decouplers, but then I have to build all the boosters the same, or I have to build each one individually. I'd love to be able to place four decouplers and then build two pairs of stacks. Fuel lines have to be run from each stack individually, instead of in pairs, which would make sense.

But then I have to keep switching symmetry modes every time I add a part. I should be able to set the mode I want and leave it there, not constantly switch back and forth.

Building asparagus stages, I will sometimes build different fueltank/engine stacks for the pairs. I can easily place the radial decouplers, but then I have to build all the boosters the same, or I have to build each one individually. I'd love to be able to place four decouplers and then build two pairs of stacks. Fuel lines have to be run from each stack individually, instead of in pairs, which would make sense.

One way to build asparagus is build the first booster pair with 2x symmetry. Then you can ctrl-click the decoupler to copy the whole section, and place the second (and third) pairs.

Here is a small list I have had in my head for awhile:

-Having to hit G twice to get the gear to deploy the first time, not sure if there is a work around for this or not (I tr to remember to toggle at the pad before launching).

-Scrolling when I am tabbed out of the game, this annoys me to no end.

-No full throttle key. I like that X kills everything, but I would like a key to set something to max throttle (any key other than Z for personal reasons).

-No clouds in stock....I never thought it would bug me, but now I cannot play without them. The lights part I can deal with not having, but the clouds make Kerbin, the the other planets, look more a live.

-U for lights on the craft and L for the EVA packs (although I know why it is this way, but my RCS keys are remapped to mirror the throttle controls so I need to move the ship lights to L now).

-No ground radar reading in ship view, until I got KDATA I had to go into IVA mode when landing to see how close to the ground I was. Well at least until I could see my shadow.

-Kerbals forgetting how to use their hands when doing EVA. This one was an oddity in .23.5 Kerbals would randomly forget to grab onto the rungs when going out on EVA, so I am not sure if this is the case with .24 or not.

-No tether in space for EVA. This would make it easier to retrieve a Kerbal who wonders too far from the ship, he could be pulled back in to safety.

-Manned flight right off the bat with Career mode. I cannot run BTSM with my mod selection, but this should be selectable if you want to do more probed based missions to start or manned.

And of course.....WHERE IS THE RANDOM MOOING COW??? Seriously I have heard in a few of my videos, and yet I have seen no cow (maybe this could be an easter egg at some point). Just listen while sitting at the KSC screen to the ambient noises you will hear it eventually.

Peeve that has recently gone away:

Plan a maneuver, get it all set up nice and waiting for the right time to begin. While waiting, try an EVA (usually for some quick science). Return to the ship, and oops, the planned maneuver went away. But not anymore! I expected this to happen when I made this "mistake" again while playing on the recent 0.24 update. Miraculously it didn't happen, oh the joy!

Peeve that has recently gone away:

Plan a maneuver, get it all set up nice and waiting for the right time to begin. While waiting, try an EVA (usually for some quick science). Return to the ship, and oops, the planned maneuver went away. But not anymore! I expected this to happen when I made this "mistake" again while playing on the recent 0.24 update. Miraculously it didn't happen, oh the joy!

That was fixed in .23.5 if memory serves.

One way to build asparagus is build the first booster pair with 2x symmetry. Then you can ctrl-click the decoupler to copy the whole section, and place the second (and third) pairs.

Yeah, but then I get picky about my decouplers lining up correctly. (Yes, it's a minor detail, but it bugs me.)

Yeah, but then I get picky about my decouplers lining up correctly. (Yes, it's a minor detail, but it bugs me.)

I use the paint on the interior fuel tank as a guide.

I hear that Editor Extensions has vertical snap, but I installed it on my 0.23 save AFTER I'd started my Jool-5 mission and never built anything using it after. I've not gotten around to reinstalling it on 0.24. Therefore, I've never actually used it :D

I use the paint on the interior fuel tank as a guide.

I hear that Editor Extensions has vertical snap, but I installed it on my 0.23 save AFTER I'd started my Jool-5 mission and never built anything using it after. I've not gotten around to reinstalling it on 0.24. Therefore, I've never actually used it :D

Try it, you'll never go back. Vertical snap, symmetry from 1x to 50x, and more angle snap options are divine.

• 2 weeks later...

Event after 10 years of being happily married, sometimes you need to sit and have a talk about how to make your relationship better.

Same goes with KSP after 1 000 hours of playing. KSP, let's talk. Here's a list of details that seemed insignificant when I first met you, but now annoy me more than the should. It had to come out, in no particular order:

• Why would you place my parachute on the first stage ?
  • Why would you place my clamps ont the last ?
  • There are only 4 or 5 staging icons where there are tens of different engines, decouplers, parachutes...
  • I need to go through 3 different menus when I want to get back to my desktop. EDIT: Alt+F4 is as good a "solution" as unplugging my PC.
  • KSC has to load everytime I want to switch building. Then unload.
  • Please tell me why you would fill every pod of my ship with kerbals, especially when I saved an empty ship...
  • ...Or empty the Hitchhikers I just filled ?
  • I can't load a ship built in the VAB in the SPH, and vice-versa. Although it works great if I manually copy the .ship file from one folder to the other.
  • Please please please ask me to confirm that I really want to build a New Ship and delete the one I'm working on
  • Why can't I watch my ship orbiting low at 1 000x time warp, but I can from the KSC or any ship high enough ?
  • I can't launch a ship controled by an external seat, with a kerbal on the seat.
  • Sometimes the "closest approach" node keeps jumping from a couple hundreds meter to several tens of km, and back, for no reason (even while time warping)
  • Why would you kill rotation when I enter time warp ? You should have known I'd abuse it. I know you can't simulate physics while time warping, but you could easily restore momentum when I get out of it.

Whew, it feels great having this off my chest. I love you KSP.

What's your list of little things ?

PS: I know the vast majority of this issues can be solved through mods. That's not the point. They're minor inconveniences that shouldn't need to be modded in the first place.

Edited by Maxwell Fern

Why do you insist on putting Jeb as the pilot when i specifically put some one else to pilot.

Or Why must you make my coolest looking planes handle the worst.

Or even refuse to give crucial DeltaV readings and force me to use mechjeb.

Why do you even have to do the stupid "root part" dance where I have to rearrange my ships part by part just so i can change the root part.

And as you say the staging configurator is utterly retarded,why put the stability enhancers on the last stage.

This is pretty much my list of little issues.

Alt-F4 does not save to persistence - which is good or bad, depending on what you wanted to do.

An option in the in-flight-ESC-menu to quit the game that saves to persistence alongside the rescue my savefile from bug Alt-F4 would be great.

To add to the thread:

Why can I not load an in-flight save, why do I have to go KSC->observatory->craft?

Run KSP in windowed mode. Then you can just click onto your desktop, and KSP will still run. Yep, it will keep running. Got a 20 minute ejection burn? No problem. Start the burn, click on your desktop, surf the web, do whatever, periodically check on the burn.

Staging "help" drives me absolutely bonkers.

Dear, beloved KSP.

*Why does the direction of lift of my planes switch upside down, when i turn it around the vertical axis (???)., or sometimes in other very funny directions if I do something, that you think is wrong?

*As I can´t simply transfer a craft between VAB and SPH without using the subassembly manager, why on kerbin can´t I change the root-part?

* Why can´t I toggle between VAB- and SPH-building-mode?

*Why can´t you calculate the correct duration of a burn when your small cousin Mechjeb can? (I´m very sorry for this comparison KSP. I hated them too, when I was small and still in development)

*Why does the nose of my airplane need to point up by 15-20° in LEVEL FLIGHT?... ???... what the (Beeeep)! In other words: Why is your aerodynamic model that bad?

EDIT: @ Maxwell: you´re right. I feel better now. :) I can live with the rest of small issues.

Edited by KerrMü

Event after 10 years of being happily married, sometimes you need to sit and have a talk about how to make your relationship better.

I thought this too. Now I'm divorced.

[*]I need to go through 3 different menus when I want to get back to my desktop

If you exit from the space center (which admittedly requires you to hit esc, click space center, then hit esc again and click quit to main menu) you can alt-f4 from there.
[*]I can't launch a ship controled by an external seat, with a kerbal on the seat.
You can! Just put the Kerbal in a (detachable) lander can, get him out, board the seat, and detach the lander can. Then launch.

The rest of your things either bother me too or I'm too lazy to write up a reply to :D

Too tight warp factor limits. I understand, that if I am below highest peaks, game needs to check collisions, but why I can not accelerate time to 100000 x immediately above atmosphere or highest peaks?

Why I can not give arbitrary values to window size? I have 2560 x 1440 display and 1920 x 1200 (or something like that) does not use it effectively. I would like to use about 2200 x 1400 so, that window fit on screen and use almost all area.

Then something from illegal suggestions list, especially inaccurate orbital physics.

One thing is that game has been developed to direction I do not like during last year. I would better see evolution in physic modeling and planets and not appreciate career mode very high.

Too tight warp factor limits. I understand, that if I am below highest peaks, game needs to check collisions, but why I can not accelerate time to 100000 x immediately above atmosphere or highest peaks?

Why I can not give arbitrary values to window size? I have 2560 x 1440 display and 1920 x 1200 (or something like that) does not use it effectively. I would like to use about 2200 x 1400 so, that window fit on screen and use almost all area.

Then something from illegal suggestions list, especially inaccurate orbital physics.

One thing is that game has been developed to direction I do not like during last year. I would better see evolution in physic modeling and planets and not appreciate career mode very high.

This while annoying is easily explained. You warp through stuff at high warp including planets so this stops people from warping through as they approach the planet. It has nothing to do with leaving it but the computer can't tell the difference so there is the reason.

i cannot do frontflips with eva jetpack engaged, theres no keys to rotate vertically.

timewarp doesnt autostop on SOI change or before nodes.

kerbin has no cats.

Please do not reccomend mods, I only play stock.

Edited by r4pt0r

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.