[0.25/0.90] Better Atmospheres [V5 - June 14th, 2014]

Thesonicgalaxy

Hi, i appear to be having a couple of problems with the mod. First of all, for some reason Minmus appears to have an atmosphere and volumetric clouds, Is this normal?

In addition, when I press Alt+N, nothing happens, so i cant configure anything. I'd Post my game directory, but I have aboslutely no idea what folder i ....ed up, so i'm not sure what file I need to post, so if you need to see a file just ask me and i'll post it, thank you for all your help!

http://i.imgur.com/DfCCoGX.jpg

This is normal. It does not actually have an atmosphere, but it does have Minmusian Mists. as far as the not Alt+N thing, no idea.

Quick question... Well, two actually.

1) When using ATM, is it best to use the low, medium, or high res version? I went with the high res and my base ram usage (on start) went from 1.8gb to 2.5gb. Would down grading to the medium or low res help this?

2) On down grading, I note this puts files in a lot of places. Will the medium or low res version completely overwrite the high res or am I going to have duplicate files in some places?

I'm confused because I can't get asteroids to show up around Jool. I've installed Custom Asteroids and used the configuration file included here, but they don't show up! I desperately need some for an upcoming cinematic, so I may be forced to dock to one and HyperEdit it around Jool.

I'm confused because I can't get asteroids to show up around Jool. I've installed Custom Asteroids and used the configuration file included here, but they don't show up! I desperately need some for an upcoming cinematic, so I may be forced to dock to one and HyperEdit it around Jool.

I've heard that Custom Asteroids has issues with 0.24.x, I think that's why NathanKell temporarily removed them from Real Solar System. Sorry bud. :(

Not sure it it's come up, but Jool seems to get a bit of static when viewing it from the outer moons. As you zoom out it gets more and more noticeable but from Vall and Tylo it's not visible. Starts from around Bop. Anyone else see this? It's hard to get a screenshot of it, unfortunately.

EDIT: It's definitely something in the cloudLayers-BetterAtmospheres.cfg - as removing it stops the static from appearing.

Edited by Rayder

Not sure it it's come up, but Jool seems to get a bit of static when viewing it from the outer moons. As you zoom out it gets more and more noticeable but from Vall and Tylo it's not visible. Starts from around Bop. Anyone else see this? It's hard to get a screenshot of it, unfortunately.

I think that's a problem with EVE, I'm currently running Astronomer's pack and have the same issue.

also when you get very close to Jool the atmosphere flickers.

Yep. That Z-fighting is an EVE issue. In RSS, it reaches the point where the game is almost unplayable in the vicinity of Jool because of how hideously obvious the effect is, and I haven't been able to get the github EVE overhaul to work on its own, much less with better atmospheres.

Edited by InfinityArch

Hi all,

I'm using 0.24 on a 64 bit system (got the 64 bit version of KSP). I am noticing a strange feature in the clouds whenever looking at Kerbin from Space, be it at the Space Center or actual Space. I'm posting an image because it's better that way. Has anyone encountered this or knows what I might do to solve this problem?

9ZSkYO5.jpg

3Zow508.jpg

Clouds do not get rendered in these views and I get this line. However, the clouds are visible below 90,000 and above 400,000. In between those altitudes they disappear and instead I get a shadow from the craft I'm flying.

Hi all,

I'm using 0.24 on a 64 bit system (got the 64 bit version of KSP). I am noticing a strange feature in the clouds whenever looking at Kerbin from Space, be it at the Space Center or actual Space. I'm posting an image because it's better that way. Has anyone encountered this or knows what I might do to solve this problem?

http://i.imgur.com/9ZSkYO5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3Zow508.jpg

Clouds do not get rendered in these views and I get this line. However, the clouds are visible below 90,000 and above 400,000. In between those altitudes they disappear and instead I get a shadow from the craft I'm flying.

That doesn't even look like you're using my pack. IIRC that happens on macs when you use higher resolutions.

That doesn't even look like you're using my pack. IIRC that happens on macs when you use higher resolutions.

The funny thing is that actually I am using your pack along with the other downloads suggested in your page and EVE aswell. Also, I'm not using a mac... definitely not a mac... I'm running Windows Vista x64!

Edit: as for the resolution, in-game it is set to 1024x768 but my Desktop resolution is at 1680x1050

Edited by Kreu

The funny thing is that actually I am using your pack along with the other downloads suggested in your page and EVE aswell. Also, I'm not using a mac... definitely not a mac... I'm running Windows Vista x64!

Edit: as for the resolution, in-game it is set to 1024x768 but my Desktop resolution is at 1680x1050

I'm talking about quality resolutions. Did you download the High-Res one or one of the lower ones?

Also are you using one of the E.V.E beta versions?

I just wanna throw my 2 cents in here; I would suggest upgrading, if possible for you, to Win7 or Win8 x64.

Are there any established configurations for this which work well with the 6.4x Kerbol RSS? I'm specifically referring to the "Alt-N" console here. I've been playing with the settings. I've managed to get the clouds to stop zipping around too fast, but the way it looks as your ship crosses through the various layers looks like crap. I tried scaling all the elevations for all the layers by 6.4, but that doesn't really work. Well, it kind of works for the clouds, but the colorations is all screwed up until you get well out of the atmosphere.

I'm talking about quality resolutions. Did you download the High-Res one or one of the lower ones?

Also are you using one of the E.V.E beta versions?

Oh ok, I misunderstood you. I chose the lower resolution version so that I save RAM space. Squad still need to make improvements on RAM usage and RAM recognition. As for EVE, yes I'm using the overhaul version (current beta)

I just wanna throw my 2 cents in here; I would suggest upgrading, if possible for you, to Win7 or Win8 x64.

I did try Windows 7 which I purchased from e-bay about two years ago but it turned out to be flawed and would eventually corrupt itself so I reverted to Vista to spare me the heartbreak each time. I know such things are to be expected from e-bay but imho Windows pricing is a bit overrated. Besides, I don't want to be spending my money on an OS just for the sake of it being the latest ;)

Thanks anyway!

Edited by Kreu

Oh, ok. I'll try using the current EVE release (though it's not intended for 0.24 I think) and will let you know. I guess there is a future BA release intended for use with the eventual 0.24 version of EVE right?

Oh, ok. I'll try using the current EVE release (though it's not intended for 0.24 I think) and will let you know. I guess there is a future BA release intended for use with the eventual 0.24 version of EVE right?

Of course. I'll probably release Beta versions of V6 for the overhauls as well.

Ok, I have an answer as far as compatibility goes. I can confirm that there are no compatibility issues with BA and EVE as per thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-5-7-3-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-NEW!-VolumetricClouds!/page375

I am making a thorough experiment to determine what is the cause for the glitch and have been checking on both EVE and BA forums. I can confirm that glitch is not of EVE or BA origin so far (though being atmispherically related makes one assume it is).

im getting this error with the clouds

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

any ideas to what could cause this?

im getting this error with the clouds

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Clouds.Clouds.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

any ideas to what could cause this?

You could try posting it in the E.V.E forum. That might be your best bet, but if they send you back here I'll see what I can do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.