good places to download rockets/ships/planes?

vin50

18 hours on ksp and still havent landed on the mun, mainly because all the tutorials on making ships are very outdated. Does anyone know good ships to download and use? i know how to properly land and get off the mun, i just suck at making legitimate vehicles

18 hours into the game and i cant get to the mun, i know how and i can land very well. its just all the tutorials on ship making are outdated and im not very good at making them myself.

Lots of people ask for newbie-trainer moon rockets, so I made some. This is a written walkthrough and sandbox ship you can can download to fly it with. As for career mode, the third ship in the first post of this thread can reach both moons, and uses on parts from tiers 0-3. I hope they are helpful.

18 hours into the game and i cant get to the mun, i know how and i can land very well. its just all the tutorials on ship making are outdated and im not very good at making them myself.

Let me offer you some guidance here. While it is possible to download a craft that somebody else built, many here would encourage you to figure out this process on your own because that is where the magic of KSP happens -- your greatest achievement is not reaching the destination, it's the process of how you got there.

As far as your expectations, reaching the Mun is a very challenging task for the new player -- it sounds like you have a firm grasp on the mechanics of landing, but constructing a craft is where you're struggling. Experimentation is how you will eventually reach success -- my advice is start with extremely simple designs. Over the years I have found that building very simple, real-world (3-stage) rockets work extremely well in KSP. If something isn't working, simplify your design or just start over.

Fail early, fail often.

Let me offer you some guidance here. While it is possible to download a craft that somebody else built, many here would encourage you to figure out this process on your own because that is where the magic of KSP happens -- your greatest achievement is not reaching the destination, it's the process of how you got there.

As far as your expectations, reaching the Mun is a very challenging task for the new player -- it sounds like you have a firm grasp on the mechanics of landing, but constructing a craft is where you're struggling. Experimentation is how you will eventually reach success -- my advice is start with extremely simple designs. Over the years I have found that building very simple, real-world (3-stage) rockets work extremely well in KSP. If something isn't working, simplify your design or just start over.

Fail early, fail often.

I'm going to second this. The fun of this game is in the journey, not the destination.

18 hours into the game and i cant get to the mun

It took a whole lot longer than that IRL. Don't be discouraged. I'll say what others have said: don't use someone else's designs. You are going to deprive yourself of important educational experiences. Just keep building orbital rockets, learn how to do transfers, practice docking, etc. You'll be making mun rockets in no time. You can look at videos of other people's missions (looks like you've been doing that already), and get inspiration, even if they are outdated.

Spacecraft Exchange, here on the forums. The Munraker rocket, by Wayfare, is probably one of the easiest to use and best learning experience for a Mun craft. Also be sure to check out their company, Wayfare AE&KA. They offer extremely user friendly lifting rockets. :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/63286-0-23-MUNRAKER-(formerly-Munshine-V)-Apollo-style-Mun-rocket-under-200-parts

May I suggest you look at screenshots and try to recreate them? This way you get a good design AND would be learning about construction and maybe why those ones work well. Just an idea.

Its just practice-fail-research, practice-fail-research.

With only 18hours of playtime I would bet there is alot you could improve to get your ship there in more fuel efficient way. How you do the gravity turns and encounters/nodes really matters alot.

18 hours into the game and i cant get to the mun...snip*

This is pretty standard OP, 18 hours of kerbal isn't that long. A very few folk do get it quickly, but most spend several days before doing a successful Mun mission.

I think the key to this game is making small changes and doing lots of testing. That and watching vids and looking at pics of other peoples designs. The learning curve to start with is really steep so don't worry if you're struggling to start with.

If you want a ship and some good tutorials check out Vanamonde's newbie rocket thread. He's made a ship (100% stock) specially for new players and some very detailed tutorials. It was made for 21.1 but because its stock it should still work and the tutorials still apply.

A moon rocket and moon trip walkthrough for newbies. (21.1)

He's also got a thread of Career mode starter ships which are more up-to-date and starts you off at the beginning of career mode (also 100% stock).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.