[Discontinued] AdaptiveDockingNode 1.7 - Make Your Awesome Docking Port Models Universal!

toadicus

AdaptiveDockingNode has been updated to version 1.6! This update brings compatibility with KSP 0.90 and preliminary support for gendered docking ports.

Changelog

v 1.6 [2014-12-15]
* Updated for KSP 0.90.
* Now supports gendered docking ports, according to laboratory tests.

As a fan of Kip's "Universal Docking Ports" I realize that my docking bliss would be incomplete without your contribution.

Would it be possible for you to include CKAN support in future releases? (I've really been on the CKAN bandwagon recently.) If so, this would be the *perfect* time to transition "AdaptiveDockingNode" to KerbalStuff like you planned.

http://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/wiki/Adding-a-mod-to-the-CKAN

I am willing to write the meta file myself if you approve.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Teslamax

Hey toadicus, I'm getting back to the gendered docking port and going with the simple approach. Are you interested it programming some orientation requirements for magnetic acquisition?

If you are I'm thinking a few more variables like:

• Acquisition range in degrees. If possible the magnets should acquire only within that range (around the Z axis), and turn the ships appropriately for perfect alignment. And I mean perfect.
  • Node orientation offset in degrees just around the Z axis of the docking transform. For quick-fixing orientations. We have no control over other docking ports, so this is a must if we were to make a MM patch.
  • Magnet torque, if it doesn't exist yet.

This is just off the top of my head. Have you given this any thought?

Squad's code already has some provision for requiring roll orientation. Last time I tested it (which was a long time ago), I couldn't get it to work, but it's worth investigating again. Try setting acquireMinRollDot and captureMinRollDot in the ModuleDockingNode definition to a number very slightly less than 1 (e.g. 0.7 and 0.998, respectively) and see if it starts restricting the roll orientation. If not, I'll work on coding something up.

There is already magnet torque, but I'm not certain if it will apply roll. We'll have to experiment with that as well.

Just to let you know toadicus, so far in various gender tests the plugin performed as I had hoped. Thankyou.

Unfortunately adding the settings you suggested made no difference. I can still dock after rolling.

-3.40282347E+38 is -FLOAT_MAX, the smallest single precision float number on common systems. Looks like an unused/uninitialized variable to me.

I'm getting confused. A negative number with a large positive exponent, is a small number in mathematics?

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

First: yes, -3.40282347E+38 is a very negative number. It has a large absolute value so I'm not sure I would call it small, but as far as 32-bit floating point values are concerned, every other expressible number is greater than that number. Since the test is something like:

if (rollDot > minRollDot) { // allow docking here }

Using the most negative single-precision floating point number available ensures that the result will always be true and always allow docking.

I'll take another look at roll requirements as soon as I can; hopefully this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

hi toadicus i was wondering how hard would it be to make a mod that adds a disable option to docking ports in the action groups. this would toggle off auto connect on the ports. do you think it would be easy enough to make for me? :D

tricky thing but i need it for ksp 0.24.2

maybe you could make it part of tweakable everything?

Edited by praise the suuun

• 3 weeks later...

Dear toadicus,

I tried to install this mod today, but it started throwing NREs at me during play:

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at AdaptiveDockingNode.ModuleAdaptiveDockingNode.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Would you please look at my log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3457ezh4yevvezz/output_log16.rar?dl=0

I can't duplicate this problem.

It's a little hard to tell, because the log is just so big that it's easy to get lost, but this is very probably happening because of a very slow startup in flight mode, probably owing to the 169 mods (or so) you have installed. ;) When startup happens much more slowly than KSP expects, it stops waiting for it and starts running Update and FixedUpdate. Meanwhile, some things are still starting. It's pretty likely that in fact this problem would just go away once your install finally finished starting up in flight mode, and that the mod would work normally during play. Further, it's really hard for me to conjecture which thing might be null to attempt a fix because I don't know what hasn't started up yet.

That said, I don't like having my mods fail to handle exceptions under any circumstances. So if you want to help out, this debug-activated DLL will spam your log and screen full of horrible noise, which ought to help me see where the specific failure point is.

To keep the size of the log down, please test this way:

• Copy the DLL over the existing DLL in your AdaptiveDockingNode folder.
  • Run the game. Load directly to the ship you used in your last test if you can.
  • Wait several seconds after the world starts drawing for everything to settle down.
  • Force close the game (Alt+F4, click the "X" in the corner, etc).
  • Upload ye debug log.

Looks like the problem disappeared after I removed the TweakableDocking.dll from the TweakableEverything mod.

I have another question, does this mod support multiple docking nodes on one part? I've been reading this thread, but still can't figure out how to make a part with multiple docking nodes.

Looks like the problem disappeared after I removed the TweakableDocking.dll from the TweakableEverything mod.

As you might imagine I also have both those mods, but don't have this problem. So, if you've got more log output to share it could still be useful. :)

I have another question, does this mod support multiple docking nodes on one part? I've been reading this thread, but still can't figure out how to make a part with multiple docking nodes.

No, I've not done any work on supporting nodes in different places.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.