Station Shaking Apart

My stations keep shaking apart, even when I haven't been in control of them since i started playing the game.

Anyone having this problem besides me?

Also is there a way to move kerbins from a docked ship to a space station with out doing an EVA?

Edited by Revencher

I suspect you will need to give more information. Is this during timewarp (either physical or non-physical)? Does it happen if you go to the station immediately after running the game? Does the station have SAS and/or RCS enabled? Are you trying to move the station? What have you done before you switch to the station? Are you using any mods? Etc, etc, etc...

Pictures, video and/or the persistence file (or a quicksave file) may be required for an accurate answer...

I won't do anything and it will just start to shake worse and worse until it comes apart.

for example i was manning a resupply ship was about 200m out when i watched the ship just shake apart.

or I undock a capsule and about 1 minuet latter the station shook apart.

SAS has to be in the centre of mass, if you put it on top or at the bottom it will attempt to turn your craft from where it currently is. Which you can guess, is not always a good thing.

That's not true last I checked, SAS turns from the CoM, it's always been like that. Though SAS could trip apart wobbly ships...

Oh, and is the claw anywhere on the station? It's really buggy at the moment.

That's not true last I checked, SAS turns from the CoM, it's always been like that. Though SAS could trip apart wobbly ships...

Oh, and is the claw anywhere on the station? It's really buggy at the moment.

Explain to me how that would work? How would logic apply to that? SAS can't 'magic' its way to CoM.

As far as I've read, SAS (the actual unit) applies torque from its location to the command pod.

Edited by TimePeriod

I won't do anything and it will just start to shake worse and worse until it comes apart.

for example i was manning a resupply ship was about 200m out when i watched the ship just shake apart.

or I undock a capsule and about 1 minuet latter the station shook apart.

I heard there was similar problem with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod. But it seems to have been updated since 0.23.5 came out so current version should be fine.

A solution, if you don't mind mods, is to get Kerbal Attachment System (KAS). Besides giving you pipes, cranes and other bits, it also has strut attachments that you can use to strut parts together from EVA. I use it all the time to stiffen my stations up after the parts are docked together.

Explain to me how that would work? How would logic apply to that? SAS can't 'magic' its way to CoM.

As far as I've read, SAS (the actual unit) applies torque from its location to the command pod.

RocketPilot is right. 99.9% certain that the torque from the SAS or Command Pod is applied at the centre of mass, no matter where they are placed, just to make things easier. My station began shaking apart *I think* because it had too many SAS units on it. Once I disabled them, it stopped shaking.

As far as limiting the issues with SAS shaking your things apart, I've found it's more about where you're controlling from, then the amount of SAS force being exerted. If you're controlling from a part on the far end of a wobbly structure, then the orientation of the control part will oscillate when torque is applied, and can amplify, causing the ship/station to break apart.

However, the OP is saying that his SAS is usually off, so its probably not caused by SAS.

I haven't had my stations shake apart, but I have had them simply explode when loading them after a save.

Also is there a way to move kerbins from a docked ship to a space station with out doing an EVA?

I use Kerbal Crew Manifest for that.

Quick question for you Revencher. What are your system's stats? OS, CPU, GPU, memory? I once loaded KSP on to an older laptop. After a certain number modules were added to a station. Everything lagged, shook and wobbled.

Edited by Jeff Bird

If you have more than one SAS trying to exert torque in perpendicular directions, they'll start working against each other, and the fighting creates oscillations which eventually rip the station apart.

Do you have any Kerbals in external command seats? Those can cause bizarre and catastrophic forces when you attempt to dock with the station.

nope. some times i have crew in them other times they are empty. I guse ill just have to use a lot of struts. =/

SAS has to be in the centre of mass, if you put it on top or at the bottom it will attempt to turn your craft from where it currently is. Which you can guess, is not always a good thing.

RocketPilot is right. 99.9% certain that the torque from the SAS or Command Pod is applied at the centre of mass, no matter where they are placed, just to make things easier. My station began shaking apart *I think* because it had too many SAS units on it. Once I disabled them, it stopped shaking.

Without trying to hijack the thread...

Torque does, in fact, "magic" it's way to the CoM. There are many (many) threads discussing this fact. Additionally, it isn't "magic" or some form of making programming easier. It's real world physics.

What you are mistaking is the difference between torque and the resulting movement. The torque is indeed applied at the spot where the torque module is located. However, the resulting rotation of the craft occurs around the Center of Mass, regardless of the torque's location.

So this means that if you have a bendy craft with weak connections and torque modules way out on the ends, the weak connections are likely to be broken off when SAS attempts to turn the craft. This may or may not have anything to do with the original space station pulling itself apart. Sometimes torque modules become harmonized with the stations shaking due to the reactions of SAS. When it becomes harmonized, the craft shakes itself apart. This is also real world physics.

As many said before, SAS on was my first answer, but the OP told SAS was off, therefore

Pictures, video and/or the persistence file (or a quicksave file) may be required for an accurate answer...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.