Laythe X (Single Launch Laythe Mission W/ Boat included!)

Hey KSP People! It's been a while.

This is a new craft I've been working on. I decided to go with the theme of 'full mission wrapped up into one', and make a 2 man ship capable of going from Kerbin to the familiar looking oceans of Laythe, and back again. The ship includes a jet-powered boat instead of a rover for long range excursions, and a hybrid jet/rocket lander that allows for easy return to orbit, and rendezvous with the return tanker.

-------------------------------

FLIGHT INSTRUCTIONS

-------------------------------

1)Make sure your phase angle between Kerbin and Jool is matched up (I use Kerbal Engineer to make things a little easier).

2)The transfer engines should have plenty of delta-V to go from LKO to Laythe with fuel to spare. I do an initial aerocapture at Jool, but use the engines to get captured around Laythe. Feel free to aerocapture at Laythe too if you want to be super fuel-effieicnt.

3)I dont circularize around Laythe right away. Leave the craft on a elipse and un-dock the return tanker. (I usually circularize it later)

4)Wait until AP and then use the transfer engines to put you on a landing trajectory.

5)IMPORTANT!!! Don't land both the Lander and the Boat while connected. Deploy the chutes on both about 4 Km above sea level, and then un-dock them from one another. The boat doesn't have drogues so swictch to it first and make sure it splashes down safetly, then switch back to the Lander. Also, don't separate them too early on during the descent, otherwise they will go more than 2.5 Km away from one another and the one you aren't switched to will be deleted.

6)The boat can reach speeds of up around 100 m/s, but it's safer around 50 m/s. It has plenty of fuel so taking it many Km away from the lander to an Island is no problem.

7)Getting home is easy. Launch back into orbit and rendezvous with the tanker. The tanker with the crew cabins attached has around 5 Km/s of delta-V, so fuel margins aren't tight. Make sure to deorbit the lander's LV-909 stage with the remaining fuel.

1G4tI43.png

hGomxrn.png

N1XctGT.png

BdJpJ9K.png

OOgybcb.png

5mtIVZb.png

jBA7zZQ.png

jwqnle9.png

N6ecFkA.png

yf91IW5.png

wyPDyx3.png

ei6LEI1.png

nbPhmrh.png

Sip4rvM.png

G0hCJNb.png

H70JROG.png

9nKtpWn.png

JwxVtRi.png

qGnV18t.png

6YvuyGF.png

6tcG05h.png

wPOs4dM.png

QxsNpUg.png

LV7iz1s.png

95mLaNN.png

Craft File: http://www./view/y9r9043d7l39s20/Laythe_X.craft

This is awesome! Another masterpiece from Jamie Logan! :)

Mind if I use it for my YouTube let's play? It saves a lot of time from me trying to design a Laythe lander (I'm sure I could, but this is perfectly executed!)

I would of course, give credit in the description and link to this thread.

This is awesome! Another masterpiece from Jamie Logan! :)

Mind if I use it for my YouTube let's play? It saves a lot of time from me trying to design a Laythe lander (I'm sure I could, but this is perfectly executed!)

I would of course, give credit in the description and link to this thread.

Sure!!! That would be awesome!! Send me the video once it's finished

Poor Kerbals, YEARS trapped in a tiny capsule.

IIRC, the time it takes in KSP to travel is a lot less than real life. Assuming were using Earth years to measure the time, of course. In Kerbal years it might be longer, not sure. :)

IIRC, the time it takes in KSP to travel is a lot less than real life. Assuming were using Earth years to measure the time, of course. In Kerbal years it might be longer, not sure. :)

Well regardless, even if it's months to Laythe, (I'm sure it's not) do you want to sit in the same chair for months in a thing the size of the cab of your car? Peeing in a diaper? You need to have room to stretch, get some exercise, sleep stretched out. Heck, I can't even drive more than a few hours before I want to get out and walk around, I can't imagine going to another planet in a lander can.

Well regardless, even if it's months to Laythe, (I'm sure it's not) do you want to sit in the same chair for months in a thing the size of the cab of your car? Peeing in a diaper? You need to have room to stretch, get some exercise, sleep stretched out. Heck, I can't even drive more than a few hours before I want to get out and walk around, I can't imagine going to another planet in a lander can.

Your're missing out.

BTW, add a ladder on the bottom of the lander so you can easily get back in it from the water. I had to stand on the nose of the boat to get back in. It was a challenge to say the least.

There is one. I forgot to mention in this post that hotkey 1 toggles the ladder on the lander and the boat. Sorry!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.