The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

Last experimental was pushed out 12 hours ago. Seems good.

http://steamdb.info/app/220200/

we'll see. they don't usually put out new ones until late morning/mid-day it seems.

if we get into the afternoon w/o anything, then that may be promising. we'll find out i guess.

They said there are some (minor) bugs in the 64-bit version still that wont get fixed before release. Considering with 4GB system ram you arent benefitting from the 64-bit version, I'd just stick with the 32-bit one.

Heck, I have 8gb of ram and I may stick with 32 bit to begin with just b/c I generally don't have issues that 64-bit would really solve, and the 32-bit version is still supposed to be more stable.

Well they're probably clocking in again about now or in the next half hour, so I guess we should expect to see some steamdb updates in a couple hours. Thing is, will it be marked as experimental or not? I think realistically if we don't see rapid bug updates today then things are looking good. We know something broke and if that is the only thing that needs fixing and one single round of testing to confirm it, well then it may be time to start getting excited. I'm not getting my hopes up today though since we were told something broke. We all know when you fix something that broke in a game then typically more stuff breaks as a result. Personally I expect a patch soon followed by a series of small patches to close down the holes same as they were yesterday.

A release tomorrow perhaps, today could happen I guess but they need time to fix the broken code and test, confirm it works if it does, then still have time to get the patch out there and be around for some emergency bug fixing if needed. I'm sure they'd love to get to bed tonight so I can't see the patch coming at the later end of their work hours personally. Just my guess for when it's coming.

12hours ago was 2000h in mexico, thats why ;P

But now is shotly after 0800h so I expect some of this:

I don't think Squad has typical 8am-5pm hours. I've noticed it seems more like 10am to 7pm

The instant 0.24 comes out, change the name of this thread to "The Officially unofficial 0.25-Kerbapalooza Thread"

Please don't.

Edited by Alshain

Well they're probably clocking in again about now or in the next half hour, so I guess we should expect to see some steamdb updates in a couple hours. Thing is, will it be marked as experimental or not? I think realistically if we don't see rapid bug updates today then things are looking good. We know something broke and if that is the only thing that needs fixing and one single round of testing to confirm it, well then it may be time to start getting excited. I'm not getting my hopes up today though since we were told something broke. We all know when you fix something that broke in a game then typically more stuff breaks as a result. Personally I expect a patch soon followed by a series of small patches to close down the holes same as they were yesterday.

A release tomorrow perhaps, today could happen I guess but they need time to fix the broken code and test, confirm it works if it does, then still have time to get the patch out there and be around for some emergency bug fixing if needed. I'm sure they'd love to get to bed tonight so I can't see the patch coming at the later end of their work hours personally. Just my guess for when it's coming.

If you're from Europe than there are 2 moments when it's worth checking - before going asleep and after waking up. They usually post updates after the midnight, so I'd expect 0.24 to be in roughly the same time window.

Unless your landing an entire rocket à la SpaceX, your measly command pod + parachute probably won't make that much of a difference for your budget whether you're close to KSC or far away. Contracts are ample and well-rewarded. Recovery costs are a bonus, but not a necessity for keeping your entire program afloat.

I actually manage to land quite more than just a command pod when I am doing a shallow angle reentry.

Due to the lower heat buildup usually the whole return stage survives ...

due to the fact that I have the habit of equipping everything that falls back on Kerbin with parachutes, the parts of the return module that get separated (which usually include NERVAs and (empty) science modules) have the ability to survive the descent ...

and it is rather the norm than the exception, that these separated parts during descent stay close enough to the command pod to not get deleted.

Here is a gallery of one of my KSP 0.23.5 returns which illustrates it

http://imgur.com/a/xWiM8#0

First pic shows the whole spaceship ...

2 middle pics show how the command pod splashes down while on the horizon you see the descent of the remaining spaceship and the last pic shows the remaining spaceship (that at this time has watered as well and is bouncing on the waves) as a tiny speck on the horizon, while my Kerbonaut is busy swimming near the heatshield.

The spaceship parts that survive the descent in this way can be found in the KSC-Tracking Center-List of landed parts and can get recovered (and, I guess, would get money fvor recovery in 0.24)

Edited by Godot

The spaceship parts that survive the descent in this way can be found in the KSC-Tracking Center-List of landed parts and can get recovered (and, I guess, would get money fvor recovery in 0.24)

In the Tracking Center, do they show up as debris or as ships? I have heard (from one of the Youtube videos) that DEBRIS is NOT recoverable for funds...so if it broke off the ship when you landed and was registered as debris it would not be recoverable for funds (even thought it says "Recover" in the Tracking Center).

If I stage a part on ascent, can I recover the Funds for it if I attach parachutes?

Unfortunately, you can’t currently recover Funds from debris that were destroyed by the game for going out of the active physics range (>2.5km). You can only recover parts which are attached to the vessel you’re recovering, so reusable spacecraft are a very attractive prospect, for the same reasons as in real life. The more parts you can land back, the less you have to spend to re-launch.

I read nothing that says players could not recover every bit of a vessel, just that despawned (due to flying to far away deep in an atmosphere) parts are lost for good.

But I agree, that this part of the FAQ can be confusing, but it still does not say anything about debris not being recoverable at all.

I read nothing that says players could not recover every bit of a vessel, just that despawned (due to flying to far away deep in an atmosphere) parts are lost for good.

But I agree, that this part of the FAQ can be confusing, but it still does not say anything about debris not being recoverable at all.

And I never said I read it in the FAQ...I said I heard it on a video. It was 4kbShort's Lets Learn to Play KSP .24. Video Here:

Was around 28 minutes...but now he's added an addendum saying that debris was recoverable but doesn't show in the popup. So my apologies for disseminating information I heard in 4kb's vid.

In the videos that are out, they are reporting that detached components (debris) are not recoverable for funds. Unless Squad is changing that at the last minute, I'm going to assume they're correct.

In the Tracking Center, do they show up as debris or as ships? I have heard (from one of the Youtube videos) that DEBRIS is NOT recoverable for funds...so if it broke off the ship when you landed and was registered as debris it would not be recoverable for funds (even thought it says "Recover" in the Tracking Center).

Well, if I look at examples in my last game they seem to be included in the debris list ...

BUT they are all recoverable (i.e. the Recover button is active, not greyed out)

So, it is not sure whether 0.24 will allow for their recovery to create funds ...after all, as KerbMav already said, the wording in the FAQ sounds like only debris that actually gets deleted from the game (due to going farther away than 2.5 km rom he active spaceship, in a situation where it will fall back on a body) is irrecoverable for funds

In the videos that are out, they are reporting that detached components (debris) are not recoverable for funds. Unless Squad is changing that at the last minute, I'm going to assume they're correct.

One video said that. And as much as I like 4kb, there were other known inaccuracies in his video as well. I've talked to some of the KSPTV streamers, and while they've been reluctant to give straight out answers, my impression from them is that if it's recoverable, you get money from it.

But I guess until someone straight out says this is the way it does or doesn't work or until the game comes out, we won't know for sure.

Again people, enough with the reaction images :wink:

KasperVld why is this rule in place? I ask because using the html img element linking a image from another site doesn't use up any resources on this forum or server end.