[1.12.x] Custom Asteroids 1.9.0 - January 24

Starstrider42

1 hour ago, NaviG said:

Hi, does this mod adds asteroid belts? I would like to see a big asteroid belt over the rings in some planets!

Hi there. Asteroid belts that fill planetary rings can be done but not very well or with high density. Asteroids are parts (like your plane or station) and each has its own orbit to calculate so if you have many asteroids, they will lag your game just by existing. If you're specifically looking for a ring debris field like in the image below, you won't find it. There is no mod for this in KSP1.

kb8qn0ie13x01.jpg

That said, some planet packs may include asteroid belts that sit on their rings, and several planet packs have ring textures that imitate the ring debris field and provide some good immserion value but these are still only 2D. There's no 3D ring setup. Or if there is, it's probably not amazing.

13 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Hi there. Asteroid belts that fill planetary rings can be done but not very well or with high density. Asteroids are parts (like your plane or station) and each has its own orbit to calculate so if you have many asteroids, they will lag your game just by existing. If you're specifically looking for a ring debris field like in the image below, you won't find it. There is no mod for this in KSP1.

kb8qn0ie13x01.jpg

That said, some planet packs may include asteroid belts that sit on their rings, and several planet packs have ring textures that imitate the ring debris field and provide some good immserion value but these are still only 2D. There's no 3D ring setup. Or if there is, it's probably not amazing.

Yes, im already using one of these, the 2D layer looks good but, you have to disable the shadows so they look good when interacting with atmospheres. 

So, isn't there any way to create a group of asteroid and treat them as a single object to get lower CPU impact? I already made this suggestion to Gameslinx to add them with parallax, but idk if its possible.

I would love to do some little test to see how many asteroids can my CPU handle.

8 hours ago, NaviG said:

So, isn't there any way to create a group of asteroid and treat them as a single object to get lower CPU impact?

Sadly, no, I don't think so. It definitely needs to be implemented as a volumetric, GPU-driven mod like Parallax or the new EVE Redux in order to provide playable densities of a field. But it also needs to be able to release an individual object as a part (and remember this change) if the player wants to move it or colonize it on the spot. That's a tall order to make.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.