[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [16.1][28.05.2024][{Proton Revamp]

Beale

image.png?ex=65a1d4bc&is=658f5fbc&hm=66a

A Mir-inspired station build.

Please note the unsymmetrical solar panels isn't intended; during fairing separation, without me realising, it shattered one of the solar panels. I didn't realise it until i was in the sunlight.

image.png?ex=65a2b3e4&is=65903ee4&hm=563

Эрия's latest module; Галактика (seen at bottom); highly reassemblent of Spektr.

Note that the, second missing solar panel (at top); i, once again, managed to somehow break it during separation. Also, the original damaged one has been retracted until its fixed.

image.png?ex=65a2c475&is=65904f75&hm=c59

Latest module required some rearranging for it to work, so this is whats currently happening

image.png?ex=65a2c4f9&is=65904ff9&hm=a20

Might end up actually removing the solar panels on the damaged module, as it'll block the solar arrays for the bottom if its extended, and will also block the top docking ports.

image.png?ex=65a3d38d&is=65915e8d&hm=3bd

Amid problems of, yet again, electrical issues - the crew onboard disables the guidance and allows it to naturally rotate upwards, making the Galaktika module face towards the sun, before reenabling it to stabilise the new method.

20 hours ago, Unbreakify said:

image.png?ex=65a3f3f1&is=65917ef1&hm=14e

Finally fixed the missing module. Poor Ernest got forgotten about.

Fantastic! Which program did you use for the text overlays? Or am I overthinking this?

3 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

Fantastic! Which program did you use for the text overlays? Or am I overthinking this?

Paint.net. Used a trick of 3 layers; one being the text, then i copied the text from the top layer to the 2nd layer, inverted it and used a blur.

@Beale and the larger Tantares community, what fairings do you recommend for the Fregat upper stage on Soyuz lifters? The real name for that rocket is Soyuz-U or Soyuz-FG.

I don't think Tantares includes such an SAF-style fairing. I see a a 1.87m SAF-style Soyuz Hamal fairing that is correctly too small for Fregat, and the next largest fairing is made for Zenit. Have I stupidly overlooked another Tantares fairing?

Freehand shaping the stock-style fairings has not worked well for me. I can make Fregat fit but it looks ugly. That's a critique of my artistic skills not of Tantares. This mod is great!

Maybe some other mod has an appropriate SAF fairing? Or perhaps someone who managed to freehand a stock-style fairing can share a craft file?

Edited by DeadJohn

I feel like we should have the Kvant-1 solar panels (Technically Kristalls, but still) have an option to be fully deployed or quarter-deployed, because during a brief period during Shuttle-Mir, they were deployed a quarter of the way.

image.png?ex=65a84f56&is=6595da56&hm=356

FYI the Mir above isnt the Mir i showcased a while back, i completely rebuilt it with the now improved historical knowledge i have.

@Beale Is there possibility for a positional small Mir update? Not a revamp, but a minor overhaul on its features, for example, making so you can allow solar panel tracking to be enabled/disabled. Judging by this diagram, and a few photos of Mir, some of the solar panels don't track the sun, and maybe the suggestion I had for the Acamar solar panels.

Understandable if you don't want to, you did mention that KSP1 had basically been 'dried out'.

1024px-Mir_diagram.svg.png

On 1/4/2024 at 11:30 PM, Unbreakify said:

FYI the Mir above isnt the Mir i showcased a while back, i completely rebuilt it with the now improved historical knowledge i have.

@Beale Is there possibility for a positional small Mir update? Not a revamp, but a minor overhaul on its features, for example, making so you can allow solar panel tracking to be enabled/disabled. Judging by this diagram, and a few photos of Mir, some of the solar panels don't track the sun, and maybe the suggestion I had for the Acamar solar panels.

Understandable if you don't want to, you did mention that KSP1 had basically been 'dried out'.

1024px-Mir_diagram.svg.png

They definitely did all have the capability to track the sun as far as I know, and IIRC even the capability to be turned internally manually if needed.
Not sure if any of them lingered fixed for any long time, but wouldn't surprise me, the dorsal solar panel on the core model was for example basically dead weight by the end of the station's life, and producing very little power.

There's somehow no way in the vanilla module to allow tweaking solar panel rotation, so I'd recommend Tweakable Everything too.

On 1/3/2024 at 5:20 PM, DeadJohn said:

@Beale and the larger Tantares community, what fairings do you recommend for the Fregat upper stage on Soyuz lifters? The real name for that rocket is Soyuz-U or Soyuz-FG.

I don't think Tantares includes such an SAF-style fairing. I see a a 1.87m SAF-style Soyuz Hamal fairing that is correctly too small for Fregat, and the next largest fairing is made for Zenit. Have I stupidly overlooked another Tantares fairing?

Freehand shaping the stock-style fairings has not worked well for me. I can make Fregat fit but it looks ugly. That's a critique of my artistic skills not of Tantares. This mod is great!

Maybe some other mod has an appropriate SAF fairing? Or perhaps someone who managed to freehand a stock-style fairing can share a craft file?

Unfortunately never got around for that, you guessed right it's for procedural fairings.

13 hours ago, Tapejara said:

I've just been getting back into KSP with Tantares. Apparently image sharing isn't working for me, but here's a link to the first screenshots from my Mun base.

https://imgur.com/a/4u6iLVM

You have to embed the photos by using the direct photo link. I use discord since its straightforward. However, if you left click on the images and 'copy image address', and paste it here - it'll automatically embed.

3 hours ago, Unbreakify said:

You have to embed the photos by using the direct photo link. I use discord since its straightforward. However, if you left click on the images and 'copy image address', and paste it here - it'll automatically embed.

Thanks!

o1sF4oh.png

BusMwtc.png

ZtB7q3c.png

Flying past Minmus, with Kerbin and the Mun in frame.

zO3zOrE.png

They're all smiles now, but they don't know that I used too much fuel landing. Someone will have to get out and push to get back home.