Eyes Turned Skywards UPDATE now with Signup Sheet

NathanKell

NoMrBond, If you are still having problems with the part being always up in the VAB editor.

In Unity, did you add the part tool component to the top of the hierarchy or to the actually part it self? because if it's on the part it will add the rotation that's already added to it making it face upwards, you would need to add the part tools to the top one.

gySRMDz.png?2

Took me a little while to figure it out.

Edited by Orbital_phoenix

NoMrBond, If you are still having problems with the part being always up in the VAB editor.

In Unity, did you add the part tool component to the top of the hierarchy or to the actually part it self? because if it's on the part it will add the rotation that's already added to it making it face upwards, you would need to add it to the part tools to the top one.

http://i.imgur.com/gySRMDz.png?2

Took me a little while to figure it out.

Are you serious? Well I certainly learned something new today. I always ended up rotating it in the CFG. :/

The space station freedom in eyes turned skywards has double the large photovoltaic panels that the real life ISS has. With large solar panels such as the KOSMOS Balka solar wings and the various large solar arrays in near future... they can cause framerate hits. How will that be addressed?

Right finally finished on working on the Radiator-base of Spacelab, It comes in 2m and 3m flavours.

You can download it here https://www.dropbox.com/s/fo0uo598cnrxbr2/Spacelab-Radiator-base.rar

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Things to note:

The model and textures are quite bad at the moment, I would like to improve them to a much better standard but I need to get on with the rest of the models so this will be the first version, once everything is done I will go back and improve everything.

Anything else wrong with it let me know.

Now to start work on the Orbital Workshop and Instrument Unit parts...

In Unity, did you add the part tool component to the top of the hierarchy or to the actually part it self? because if it's on the part it will add the rotation that's already added to it making it face upwards, you would need to add the part tools to the top one.

I usually do add it to the part, but for this one I was breaking the pre-fabs all the time and deleting then re-adding the HRS model all the time playing with the new functionality I'm not familiar with, so I just stuck it on a root gameObject until I sort out what I need to do to make stuff work so I wouldn't need to re-add the details all the time.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Some progress, added the piping details via normal (finally got it working) with texture and specular improvements. The axis mount has been added under the base-plate but have not sorted out the sunCatcher or made the pivot work as yet. Alpha-2 download here if you want to try it out.

Edited by NoMrBond

I more or less finished the Apollo Block III engine. It's rather a simple model, no complexity is necessary. The only thing I need is the proper textures. Could anyone help me with them? I of course would like to replicate the artwork's brownish engine with the silvery plate but I have no clue where to begin. Help from somebody with texturing skills is welcomed.

How different are the Freedom trusses from the ISS ones? Since this is all modular, what goes for one might go well for the other and make a great truss pack. It'd need its own berthing adapter in the end, right? Could that be a commonality?

(I love trying to build the funky Freedom designs, with the double keel, power tower and so on)

How different are the Freedom trusses from the ISS ones? Since this is all modular, what goes for one might go well for the other and make a great truss pack. It'd need its own berthing adapter in the end, right? Could that be a commonality?

(I love trying to build the funky Freedom designs, with the double keel, power tower and so on)

The ETS Freedom trusses are quite different from the ISS ones. Differences include:

• They're all rectangular in cross-section rather than some octagonal;
  • The P1/S1 sections are much larger than any ISS truss sections, since they're sized for Saturn H03 rather than the shuttle;
  • They include thrusters and androgynous docking ports (different from those on the ISS) to support unmanned delivery by AARDV.

The ETS Freedom trusses are quite different from the ISS ones. Differences include:

• They're all rectangular in cross-section rather than some octagonal;
  • The P1/S1 sections are much larger than any ISS truss sections, since they're sized for Saturn H03 rather than the shuttle;
  • They include thrusters and androgynous docking ports (different from those on the ISS) to support unmanned delivery by AARDV.

Aw, the S/P2 thruster trusses? Oh yeaaah! Still, if I have some free time coming up, I might try and model some parts to fit the ETS part divisions. Speaking of which, would these trusses be generic with the appropriate things fit to them or would they each be specialized? Just kinda wondering what other cool stuff I could put together with this. ;)

Can somebody tell me how to import an engine into Unity? I have the part in the game but it doesn't show the particle effects and is not accelerating the spacecraft.

The particle effects are probably not showing for the same reason there is no thrust, they're looking for the transform to spawn at.

The newer engines seem to have three

thrustPoint (gameObject where the combustion effect visually comes from, Z+ for direction[blue arrow])

smokePoint (gameObject where the smoke effect visually comes from, Y+ for direction [green arrow])

thrustTransform (gameObject where the physical force produced is applied, Z+ for direction[blue arrow])

If you're usong ModuleEnginesFX then try adding these to your Unity scene (otherwise the engines section in the help thread)

Edited by NoMrBond

The particle effects are probably not showing for the same reason there is no thrust, they're looking for the transform to spawn at.

The newer engines seem to have three

thrustPoint (gameObject where the combustion effect visually comes from, Z+ for direction[blue arrow])

smokePoint (gameObject where the smoke effect visually comes from, Y+ for direction [green arrow])

thrustTransform (gameObject where the physical force produced is applied, Z+ for direction[blue arrow])

If you're usong ModuleEnginesFX then try adding these to your Unity scene (otherwise the engines section in the help thread)

Thank you for the help! I could get it working. The only thing the Apollo Block 3 needs is a proper texture and it is done.

Need to add the textures for the pivot mount and finish the normal for the backplate and mount, otherwise...

Animation plays when you pull the part out in the VAB/SPH for some reason, not sure where that is coming from

Need to add the textures for the pivot mount and finish the normal for the backplate and mount, otherwise...

http://youtu.be/A7jOlB6bsvc

Animation plays when you pull the part out in the VAB/SPH for some reason, not sure where that is coming from

In Unity, click on the object that contains your "Animation" or "Animator" tab, and uncheck "Play Automatically"

Looks great! My only quibble, the three deployed panels should rotate together as a fixed unit when attached to the P1/S1 trusses. In your animation they rotate separately and so end up trying to radiate at each other. Apart from that brilliant work!

In Unity, click on the object that contains your "Animation" or "Animator" tab, and uncheck "Play Automatically"

Great, that's working now thanks. A few behavior oddities switching over from Unity gameObjects to Blender empties (which KSP seems to recognize) so I don't have to break pre-fab's any more if possible, should save some time.

Looks great! My only quibble, the three deployed panels should rotate together as a fixed unit when attached to the P1/S1 trusses. In your animation they rotate separately and so end up trying to radiate at each other. Apart from that brilliant work!

I think the only way to do that would be to have them as one part, and the whole truss they're attached to would rotate so they're all fixed, or you'd need some kind of plugin, perhaps rotating them with rotatrons/washers via IR/MSI.

I suspect this is why the LM-HRS panels don't individually rotate, so they stay edge on to each other the whole time

Edited by NoMrBond

OK, the HRS panel is feature complete with texture, specular, normal and functionality (well appearance wise it pivots against sun, if you want it to actually radiate heat that'll need the plugin and whatever config changes required)

Download HRS beta files

Was there a list of what parts still need doing and/or who was interested in doing them?

[Edit] Is there any way to hide the solar panel GUI reports from using the solar panel module for the pivot?

Edited by NoMrBond

By the way, Apollo capsule and main modules will be 2.5 or 3.75m parts ?

Probably 2.5m, since that's what you get when you scale it to 64 %. Actually, the 64 % standard is derived from the MK1-2 pod and the RL Apollo capsule. Oh, and if you want to play around with Apollo but don't have time to wait for the bulk of this addon, go get FASA by Frizzank.

Will all the stuff in this mod have a Real Solar System version?

Not sure, that'd be up to the individual contributors I guess

I made the HRS panels at real size as per NathanKell's request with the intention of having rescaled versions for other applications (K0.64/vanilla etc)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.