[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

I don't know if I'm just lazy or if I can't find anything else regarding what I was curious about...

Do we have an estimated time on when 0.2 will be released or when the DL will be back up? I am rather falling in love with this and cannot wait to try it out! Props to you sir!

Thanks :) however the simple truth is what you've seen so far have been the best/lest glitchy parts of the game. PQS/ground level visuals are still a mess, keeping the earth light(PQS not ScaledSpace), for example requires a haze layer which produces a very obvious line on the horizon, adjusting fade distance&scale can remove it but then isn't powerful enough to lighten the very dark -non terrain manager- distant ground colour. Another serious problem is that the layers I'm trying to use to keep the sky blue and not black above ASL cuts off short of the horizon which is even more visually jarring.

The PQS level stuff could be described as 'unstable' in comparison to ScaledSpace visuals. As soon as I can get something up which isn't horrible to take off/get into ScaledSpace through I'd be more than happy to put it up.

I'm also tempted to wait on the next EVE overhaul [9.3] to be released as it'll implement a much more realistic shadow system, and have several fixes that'll allow me to get the volumetrics looking far better (3d shadows).

Pleaseplease remember that this mod is still in its infancy, it's founded off of rbray's dev/test release of visual enhancements and so can only progress at that speed in terms of its features. Even though I've been able to make some good looking planet externals, we are a long way from actually getting this into releases and showcase.. I'm really sorry, I'm doing my best with what's currently available.

Thanks :) however the simple truth is what you've seen so far have been the best/lest glitchy parts of the game. PQS/ground level visuals are still a mess, keeping the earth light(PQS not ScaledSpace), for example requires a haze layer which produces a very obvious line on the horizon, adjusting fade distance&scale can remove it but then isn't powerful enough to lighten the very dark -non terrain manager- distant ground colour. Another serious problem is that the layers I'm trying to use to keep the sky blue and not black above ASL cuts off short of the horizon which is even more visually jarring.

The PQS level stuff could be described as 'unstable' in comparison to ScaledSpace visuals. As soon as I can get something up which isn't horrible to take off/get into ScaledSpace through I'd be more than happy to put it up.

I'm also tempted to wait on the next EVE overhaul [9.3] to be released as it'll implement a much more realistic shadow system, and have several fixes that'll allow me to get the volumetrics looking far better (3d shadows).

Pleaseplease remember that this mod is still in its infancy, it's founded off of rbray's dev/test release of visual enhancements and so can only progress at that speed in terms of its features. Even though I've been able to make some good looking planet externals, we are a long way from actually getting this into releases and showcase.. I'm really sorry, I'm doing my best with what's currently available.

Since I'm helping with the CSS mod now I'll be using RSS more and this will likely be included. So I'll follow this more frequently than I did and try to help out as much as I can. I don't know a lot about the Eve overhauls, but I'll try :)

Good luck on you endeavor to get this to the releases page!

Since I'm helping with the CSS mod now I'll be using RSS more and this will likely be included. So I'll follow this more frequently than I did and try to help out as much as I can. I don't know a lot about the Eve overhauls, but I'll try :)

Good luck on you endeavor to get this to the releases page!

Included how? :P And thanks, yeah once you get the hang of it there's allot more control, still a bit buggy though

Included how? :P And thanks, yeah once you get the hang of it there's allot more control, still a bit buggy though

I'm working on some textures and new sounds for it. I have been working with it, mostly the terrain tools since alot of the stuff seems the same with a few extra things.

Thanks guys, yeah I'm just making some minor tweaks now to make PQS stuff a little more stable, so I can get 0.2 out tonight, only really for earth use and orbiting other planets, i.e. I wouldn't recommend landing on any atmospheric planets with it yet. Ground level stuff on those need to have allot done to them still.

Excellent stuff!

Quick question about the city textures--I love the new lights, but I'm wondering if you also changed the daytime textures to match? As the existing lights, poor as they were, I at least made sure had the virtue of perfectly matching the daytime texture. :)

Also--the sharp transition. The new RSS didn't help at all?

Excellent stuff!

Quick question about the city textures--I love the new lights, but I'm wondering if you also changed the daytime textures to match? As the existing lights, poor as they were, I at least made sure had the virtue of perfectly matching the daytime texture. :)

Also--the sharp transition. The new RSS didn't help at all?

Thanks, yeah there's something weird about the way the light goes to dark, and how the texture's repeated. The city textures don't seem to handle alpha/transparency very well, weirdly making an off set grey version of the lights in the 'actual lights' place. I temporarily overcame this 'somewhat' by changing the transparent parts to the city 'lights' (not daytime) to black, which works at night and in complete day, but at terminators it messes up a bit, still very WIP, I kept your in the DL.

The daytime textures are literally just a mash together of mine (converted to grey/concrete) and your day time textures. I then applied a green to the transparent areas (to discuise the alpha weirdnes) to represent trees/parks, kinda works but again looks weird in the terminators.

Regarding the apparent PQS layer 'end' distance, it is still there :/ I'll leave one of the remaining atmo layers in the DL I put up tonight so you can see it first hand, It's hard to explain it :P It's also visible on the aurora layers, if you launch from, say, Plesetsk.

You can see the weird grey'd out repetition here, this texture was perfectly matched for seamless looping too, like the cloud detail layers.

Yvk8I5m.png

It just seems to produce a new grey layer underneath?

Edited by pingopete

0.2 is up! Obviously this is a test release for testing and much is still unfinished/far to shabby to be main release, but we're getting there. Earth at least is now more or less stable when ASL and when in orbit. If the PQS fade line issue is bugging you greatly, open EVE gui (alt+E) and hit the minus button after selecting the layer: 'Earth-Stratosphere', then hit apply.

EDIT: Saturn is probably the least finished Planet in 0.2, doesn't contain any layers nor rings due to kittopiaspace playing up recently. Also just had a glitch with pluto being tiny/barely visible sorry, didn't check everything before upload.

Edited by pingopete

Grabbing.

Noticed a couple problems right off the bat: there's no CityLights folder; instead, the Textures folder that would normally be under it is in the main BoulderCo folder.

Inside that folder, you still have the detaillightOrig and darkOrig files; these, even though you don't use them, *will* be loaded by KSP and will take up memory. Axe them.

Also, your textures are non-power-of-2. This means that KSP will scale them up to the next power of 2 anyway; they will look bad, and be slower. So you might as well use 4096x4096 instead of 2500x2500.

That said...pretty textures, and I haven't even launched KSP yet!

Ah right, never managed to get an upload with out making some school boy error! But my textures are all 2048x1024 4096x2048 or 8k, are you saying make them equal in height as in length?? The EVE textures need to be in that ratio to wrap nicely I think.

I.e. How can I make them 'to the power of 2' I'd rather reduce memory at the cost of resolution than vise versa?

Also your original city light textures are a fraction of the size of mine, I don't imagine they'd make a huge difference, also they look much better close up, mine are serious WIP!

Edited by pingopete

Well drat, this is completely breaking on my system. I think it might have something to do with the 8k textures. I'm not hitting the RAM limit, but I've had issues with 8k in the past. :(

In the archive you released, your city textures are 3000x3000 pixels. Your detailCirrus is 1850x1850. Your detailCumulus is 2500x2500. Your DetailVenus is 1736x1736. duna2 is 1600x1200. Oh, and atmo.png is 50x25.

So you'd want to rescale the city textures to 2048x2048, the detailCirrus to 1024x1024, the Cumulus to 2048x2048, the Venus to 1024x1024, duna2 to 2048x1024 (stretching it) unless you wanted to to 1024x512 (in either case stretching it), and atmo to 32x16.

Also since only the textures folder from city lights is included, there's no cityLights.cfg...

But don't worry! These things happen :)

You shoud get ATM aggressive I couldn't run it on stock ksp without the compressed textures, I may just make a low res version at this rate.

I am, and have it set to use a maximum of 4096 for textures, and I made sure to add BoulderCo and RealSolarSystem configs for ATM with lines to ignore normals, but when it loads up I get no clouds and regular Kerbin (instead of Earth) texture. (I also made sure to move the erroneous Texture/ folder for CityLights to the correct spot.)

RAM usage stayed under 3GB.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.