[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

The current release does not support rss 7 or above but requires 6.3 and 6.2 as stated in the download section of the OP. I may put up a temporary release that supports 7+, but I'm still working on new textures, and waiting on some fixes and updates from rbray to his overhaul that I'd rather include as one release with all the other major improvements.

A temporary hotfix for RSS 7 support would be most excellent. Also, thank you for making this. I only play with RSS, and trying to get it to play nicely with visual enhancement mods is always a headache, so I was thrilled to discover that this project existed.

A temporary hotfix for RSS 7 support would be most excellent. Also, thank you for making this. I only play with RSS, and trying to get it to play nicely with visual enhancement mods is always a headache, so I was thrilled to discover that this project existed.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do then. Yeah it's taken a long time to come this far, endless incompatibilities, but i feel I've made progress :) when rbray gets back to moding we should see some nice new features that I will be sure to quickly implement once made compatible for rss

I don't see any reason for incompatibility, mind; I've been using hacked-up versions of RVE on 7.2 (although I had to stop for memory reasons because KSP Win x64 is a sick joke).

Maybe not strictly 'incompatibilities' but the simple fact every aspect of rbray's EVE was initially designed for stock kerbin; so for e.g. sphere's had a poly count too low for 'earth', layer falloff/scale rates weren't made for rss scale making various effects difficult/impossible to achieve that would have been easy in stock ksp. Textures not scaling up easily, pqs camera distances, flickering of layers the result of the great distances in rss, and many other seemingly minor things that caused fairly to very noticeable impacts. It just became clear when I started how much easier modding with eve on stock ksp must be :P

Not the least any of your fault's, and what you and rbray have done has added so much to me and hundreds(thousands) of other's experience of ksp. I didn't like nagging rbray and others for fixes and changes to make this possible for the minority rss community but rbray's been very patient and helpful in providing many of these requests.

I kind of know what you mean about x64 too, I think ksp could do with an overhaul of its cpu and gpu loading. My GTX 500 is sat there twiddling its fingers while one of my four processor cores is having a heart attack tryna do all the physics.

Thought I'd give an update on the city lights, and a request for help..

When I started on this texture it hadn't dawned on me how massive a task it was to take on an 8k city texture to this level of detail. I'm working full time and don't have as much time to spend on this. I've put in enough hours to not want to go back but instead ask for assistance, Anyone who's savvy with photoshop.. has photoshop, a decent pc and who wouldn't mind spending some time helping me produce this texture. Not that anyone would, but if you're interested please pm me, I'll send across my PS project save thus far.

Here's what I've managed so far

URpUZ2i.png

And to this level will require some time indeed

WBYwltB.png

Here's the original NASA crew observation photo

Ffr8oa4.png

And here's it overlayed onto the RVE vagas texture so far (with pin light effect)

4WqceX0.png

And with normal overlay

xwcMWc7.png

Edited by pingopete

Let me know how it goes, that may be something I'll work on once I've got the main release finished

Don't change a thing. Literally, once I made sure everything was updated (EVE 7-3 and RSS 7.2) everything works fine (Near as I can tell) Keep up the good work!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.