[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

This needs to be updated. I also have neptune clouds and saturn aurora ready if you want them.

Yeah I'm working on getting a release out, my pc's cpu had a meltdown loading ksp, need to get that sorted first, it's still broken.. and thanks could you pm me a link? .. the auroras for saturn in particular would be nice :)

Is the grass around the KSC supposed to be alot lighter in color? It's a light green giving it a dried out look. Just wondering if thats intentional or something I did wrong.

Is that everywhere? The earth colour map was dulled out quite a bit to get the overall colour palette more realistic from orbit. I also think it's down to the wip terrain shader, it seems to be more bland from the stock terrain and rss, but I think rbray plans to revamp it in the future anyways.

My GTX 560 card has finally packed in, and until I can get a replacement I can only really compile files thus far, there were still a few tweaks left to make however before next release.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience and further delay to the release, as soon as I get a new gpu in the post I'll get right on final testing and uploading of a new version.

I've also asked rbray to produce a temporary fix for the horizon lines (using the 2D layers) until he can get back into modding fully, so hopefully/maybe a nice fix for that issue for next release (which won't be 0.3 btw more like 0.22, there are far more features I'd like to see working before 0.3.

Edited by pingopete

I don't know if it's everywhere per say, but just the grass around the KSC is lighter then stock. Giving the place a more winter time look. I like it. I was just curious if it's a bug or not. I'll grab a screen if need be.

Sorry to hear about your gpu. I'm in the market for a new one as well. Check out the new GeForce 900 series

I don't know if it's everywhere per say, but just the grass around the KSC is lighter then stock. Giving the place a more winter time look. I like it. I was just curious if it's a bug or not. I'll grab a screen if need be.

Sorry to hear about your gpu. I'm in the market for a new one as well. Check out the new GeForce 900 series

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's down to the level of albedo or reflectiveness for terrain in the config.

Yeah think I'm grabbing a 970 :)

Hi evryone! I have a problem with this mod. when i go to map screen, the Earth is completely covered with overcast clouds, and when i zoom out the image starts to clutter. When i start flying, the clouds above are overcast too and when i go above them, the sky is completely dark. Can anyone explain what is wrong?

Miximix: Are you using the specific version of RSS 6.2+6.3? With the clouds it sound as if your pc may be failing to load the earth cloud texture, or if it's the volumetric clouds that are every where, its a bug with texture replacer (or a reducer, I can't remember for sure sorry). The black sky I really don't know, it seems several people have got it using this but most other haven't, so I'm thinking incorrect rss file (config) or an incompatible mod. Are you running kittopia?

Here's the first test of the WIP vagas city night texture. It still has a lot of work to be done I haven't yet tiled it properly so the edges run to each other.

The texture is MASSIVE. 8k, it runs pretty much up to the horizon at these heights without repeating.. and that's on RSS!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by pingopete

New stuff for 0.2.2, and yes, the updated rss 7.3 config is nearly done, sorry about delay, ALLOT of RL stuff goin on :/

I'm also working on some 'extra content' for RSS users, including real sounding RS-25D's (SSME's) and SSSRB's and a custom realistic hotrocket/smokescreen config for both.

Edited by pingopete

New stuff for 0.2.2, and yes, the updated rss 7.3 config is nearly done, sorry about delay, ALLOT of RL stuff goin on :/

http://imgur.com/a/DpQxy

I'm also working on some 'extra content' for RSS users, including real sounding RS-25D's (SSME's) and SSSRB's and a custom realistic hotrocket/smokescreen config for both.

Haven't had the time to keep up to date with this thread(or anything KSP related. Large break because of school), but i would LOVE to know how you got the more realistic sunset/rise going.

Aaaw yis! Looking very nice indeed. Looking forward to that release.

Btw I mentioned dissapearing atmos earlier. That was probably caused by me using RSS 7.3 instead of 6.3 as the OP clearly states.

haha I did have a sneaky suspicion ;)

Looking very nice indeed! :)

Best of luck with RL...

Thanks, really appreciate it man

Haven't had the time to keep up to date with this thread(or anything KSP related. Large break because of school), but i would LOVE to know how you got the more realistic sunset/rise going.

Sure, I posted it a while back in the EVE thread; using colour values over 1 increases the distance behind the terminator (darkside) they remain visible. So a value of 1.6, 1, 1, 0.5 applied to a blank atmosphere layer would give a ring of pinky red at the terminator. The same effect can be applied to cloud layers HOWEVER it appears to glitch out on the clouds detail texture making it red when viewed anywhere.

Also note that it's directly related to that atmo layers 'MinLight' value, meaning you can expend or shorted the colour band on the terminator as you see fit.

Be aware that adding 1.6,0,0,0.5 would give a red colour everywhere on the globe not just on the terminators as RGB wouldn't add up to make white.

And also that this effect works best when using negative falloff power values (i.e. the inverted haze effect thingy I'm using).

Amazingly the effect also works (partially) for the volumetrics giving them a slight pink glow during the last minutes of sunset.

Oh.. You may also wanna experiment with negative colour values.. I'll just let you figure that one out... ;)

A preliminary test of the ScaledSpace terrain texture I some how missed!

Edited by pingopete

Here's what I've got so far, not using the bump map in this because of the glitches it was causing, and mars seems to be heavily glitched.

Includes the updated RSS config for 7.3(and 7.4 maybe?) even if you're not using this wip/testing version.

City lights are still unfinished, hasn't been tiled yet.

Also the SS texture is limited to one for the globe so I found something temporarily that fits most places, but looks weird in others.

Please try it out to test and post pics!

RVE 0.2.2 Dev

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.