[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

Visionary work! I don't post on the forums normally, but when I do, it's to compliment a seriously fantastic mod. Bravo, keep it up!

Minimal issues thus far, only put an hour or so into RSSVE. Will update as I find stuff.

Visionary work! I don't post on the forums normally, but when I do, it's to compliment a seriously fantastic mod. Bravo, keep it up!

Minimal issues thus far, only put an hour or so into RSSVE. Will update as I find stuff.

Excellent! Yeah keep me posted on any series game breaking bugs bearing in mind 0.2.2 is a testing release, nothing final. Also please feel free to test the updated rss config with 0.2.1, I haven't had the time to test it yet.

Played quite a bit yesterday, everything looks amazing! I got home from work today and fired up KSP without realizing .25 hit! Anyhow, everything broke so I did a fresh(ish) install with a few key mods, but I'm getting white/red washed textures for Kerbin. I'll do a *real* clean install momentarily and report compat issues with .25.

Keep up the awesome, cheers!

Would you recommend a fresh install of EVE 9-2 before dropping in RSSVE? If so.. where can I get 9-2? The link in the OP sends me to GitHub where I SEE EVE 9-2.. but.. I cant downloaded. Just its individual files.

Yeah I'm afraid you'll have to DL the master zip containing all associated folders then just use the GameData folder from it; I wouldn't feel right redistributing the entire overhaul :P

And yes, if you're tryna use 0.2.2 I'd recommend a fresh install, also removing the unneeded textures stated in the OP after.

EDIT: I've updated the OP, installing 0.2.2 should make more sense now

Edited by pingopete

Hm.. I'm getting a VERY low texture resolution. The Earth is a blob as well as a very glitchy KSC. Lot of flickering and I cannot enter any buildings. I ask here because no problems without RSS "stock". Now I swear I've followed installation to the T. EVE 9-2, RSS 7.4, the pqs fix. And I installed the 8k RSS planet textures then RSSVE.

my teeth into this.. I noticed the KSC is now located in a city. Is this intended? Looks nice in the day, but it first started up at night and I was caught off guard lol.

Night

And settings are maxed.

EDIT: I think I got it to work good now after some uninstalling and reinstalling in a more methodical manor. I just deleted the content RSSVE overwrites instead of copying it over and having it automatically overwrite. Not sure what could've been going on. So before I really sink

Day

Edit2 ...Uhm.. Neverming somehow that's in South America :huh:

Well.. I gotta say this is incredible. It looks stunning. The usual glitches are there. I had my first satellite explode when selecting it in the VAB ( meh ) and the large dark cirdle just before scale space ( if that's correct ). And so far... im having a hard time finding any misaligned cloud shadows. Other then tha most "glitched" are easily countered and Im loving it. Many pics to come. hopefully soon in 1440p. :D

Edit3: I somehow broke the Earth's atmosphere I think with some overzealous time warping. The atmosphere disappeared and I could full warp under a 100km.

Edit4: No actually I somehow broke RSSVE. The very first problem I was having.. with the low resolution Earth is back. That glitch snapped into play while I was in LEO. The visuals completely tanked and the atmosphere disappeared. After restarting the game the problem persisted. The UI wasn't functional and I couldn't click on any buildings. Eventually everything froze, but the game kept running.

Main Menu

Glitched KSC.

Before Glitch

Log

Output

Edited by Motokid600

That glitch has been present on every initial space centre load with rss 7+, it's not RVE and it should disappear after using the center once.

What are your system specs, are you using mac? And is your ksp x64? No idea about low res earth, that's weird.

0.2.2 install should go:

Rss with textures, then fresh overhaul 9.2, then RVE

The download for the dev version includes the dll's for EVE and RSS. Are you sure that this is correct and I should overwrite the regular RSS and EVE dlls with them?

Yes this is correct, there should only be the real solar system.cfg and textures and not the .dll, dang! messed up yet another release D: it should be the .dll from RSS 7.3, so remove it if you're using RSS 7.4 or 8.

Also I'm testing now on ksp 0.25 32bit as RSS 8 will not run on x64 ksp 0.25. I'd also imagine RPL will be destroyed by the new update :(

That glitch has been present on every initial space centre load with rss 7+, it's not RVE and it should disappear after using the center once.

I noticed that on previous versions. I had trouble clicking on VAB buildings until I went into one and exited. Then it was fine. But this is different I'm afraid. I can only.. just barely enter the training complex. Can't get into the other buildings and the glitch persists even after exiting the training facility.

What are your system specs, are you using mac? And is your ksp x64? No idea about low res earth, that's weird.

I7, Gtx 670 Windows machine. And... Yes I'm using x64bit. I've been using that since it came out and its worked great. Even with RSS 6.3 and RSSVE 2.1 worked without a hitch. Note .. I am not using ksp .25. I remain in .24.

0.2.2 install should go:

Rss with textures, then fresh overhaul 9.2, then RVE

Did that exactly. Now idk.. I guess supports out the window because I'm on x64. But it's ashame because it WAS working and damn it looked BEAUTIFUL. But I was time warping and BOOM. Glitch city...

Edited by Motokid600

Yes this is correct, there should only be the real solar system.cfg and textures and not the .dll, dang! messed up yet another release D: it should be the .dll from RSS 7.3, so remove it if you're using RSS 7.4 or 8.

Also I'm testing now on ksp 0.25 32bit as RSS 8 will not run on x64 ksp 0.25. I'd also imagine RPL will be destroyed by the new update :(

I see. What about the EVE dlls?

I'm trying to make it all work on ksp 0.25 32bit as well, so far I've upgraded Earth from a solid white-red marble to a solid white one :P Gonna try using the proper new dlls and report the results.

Ok I've been looking back through what I actually uploaded last night (lol) and turns out you shouldn't need any previous Overhaul installed, I also (in my infinite wisdom) forgot to remove one of the RSS .dll's which is from RSS7.3, this shouldn't be an issue, if that is, you're using this with RSS 7.3.

And so here I place the final, install directions for RVE 0.2.2, having taken into account my conservative mental capacity:

Have KSP 0.24.2 (x64 preferably & with no previous RVE or Visual Enhancements mods) >then install> RSS 7.3 (grabbing planet textures from the RSS thread OP i.e. 8192, 4096 or 2048 - I recommend 4096 for performance) >then install> RVE 0.2.2 >then install> 0.2.2 Patch

x64 preferably? wow... Awesome, lol. I will try a fresh install tonight and see if my particular problem gets fixed. Now you say RSS 7.3 now? Because I'm using 7.4. Here's hoping that was the root of my problem. I'll try a fresh install with 7.3 asap.

Unless you mean *Linux* x64, please no not preferably x64. .24.2 Win x64 is unstable for the majority of users.

(.25 is much worse, for the record).

Also, the "click bug" on first load space center is fixed in 0.25. :)

7.4 dll is preferred: pingpete, you really shouldn't be including RSS dlls; the config file format is not going to change, and later RSS dlls have important fixes, usually. :)

Oh, and also: said it elsewhere, but: awesome! :)

Unless you mean *Linux* x64, please no not preferably x64. .24.2 Win x64 is unstable for the majority of users.

(.25 is much worse, for the record).

Also, the "click bug" on first load space center is fixed in 0.25. :)

7.4 dll is preferred: pingpete, you really shouldn't be including RSS dlls; the config file format is not going to change, and later RSS dlls have important fixes, usually. :)

Oh, and also: said it elsewhere, but: awesome! :)

Thanks, and yeah it was 3am I missed allot of things and including the .dll was a mistake, I will test with rss 7.4 although I'd imagine it'd work anyways.

Also I know few people who use linux, I don't even know how to run it myself, wish I could, hence why I suggested x64.

Yeah, thing is in about half-to-two-thirds the cases, KSP .24 Win x64 is an unstable wreck (ferram and I can get it to crash on demand, in ways the 32bit client is utterly fine with). So I would not suggest recommending it to people. ;)

If you need to recommend it, recommend Ubuntu or something...you can easily install it side-by-side with Windows.

And, hah, boy do I know about those 3am releases...just check the typo found on the last page of the DRE thread for an example (that wasn't 3am, but similar level of tiredness/pressure--most of my other releases have been about 3am, with the expected results).

So my current issue could just be x64 weirdness.. Hm.. well I'll cut down my GameData folder and try to get it to work on x86 and see if that makes a difference.

The issue... Now that I think about it... Occured on the scaled space transition. I performed a deorbit burn and warped until the atmosphere where it should've killed the warp. Instead everything went haywire and I warped past 100km like there was no atmosphere. So.. I'll try x86 tonight and see if that works.

Hmm.. well Ive been playing with RSSVE for over an hour now with no debilitating glitches. The problem I WAS having seems to have dissipated, but who know that may rear its head any time again. But now... I have a different issue. One that I cannot seem to counter and it was an issue back in 2.1, but it wasn't so persistent and predictable. Any craft in LEO sees this..

http://i.imgur.com/4JSM6rt.jpg?1

I USE to be able to negate it by switching to and from a different craft, but now its completely stuck there. If I launch to orbit this isn't seen. Not until I switch away from the craft then back. So.. is there a work around that's known? Is this a known bug? Or could this be more WinX64 wackiness? And.. lol, should I just stop posting until after I butcher my install to get x86 working?

P extends the far clipping plane, this is the close one being too far. You should be able to avoid this until you close ksp by launching a vessel, or at least viewing one on the launch pad first before going into ScaledSpace vessel view. Sorry about this trouble, I honestly haven't encountered most of these issues. You have to understand how WIP this all is still, not to mention this isn't the stable release lol

And nathan I've started messing with those values in the GUI, was gonna ask how can I set those values in the config?

How do I undo what the clipping plane ( P Key ) does? It.. seemed to make the issue worse or maybe the "clipping plane" change I made persisted trough a restart. I watched that "circle" that blots out the center of the Earth grow larger with each press of the key until everything RSSVE does is gone.

Edited by Motokid600

you can add the following lines inside the REALSOLARSYSTEM node:

cam00FarClip = (new far clip distance)

cam01FarClip = (ditto)

You can also have per-body versions of those values, like you could set general values for them and then in Kerbin you could have

Kerbin

{

// other stuff

cam01FarClip = (other clip value)

}

Motokid: same way you edit the AFG, by ALT-G (IIRC)

you can add the following lines inside the REALSOLARSYSTEM node:

cam00FarClip = (new far clip distance)

cam01FarClip = (ditto)

You can also have per-body versions of those values, like you could set general values for them and then in Kerbin you could have

Kerbin

{

// other stuff

cam01FarClip = (other clip value)

}

Motokid: same way you edit the AFG, by ALT-G (IIRC)

Thanks Nathan I'll get working on it soon, and yeah if the hit P more that 3 times you start getting glitchness and flickering of layers, and while this near clipping plane glitch is present, it'll just push that back too until layers start and end beyond the horizon. I've already found values that solve this issue you've been having. I still have no idea why this happens sometimes and not others, until I get this sorted, I'm afraid you'll just have to avoid it by launching first.

Edited by pingopete

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.