[WIP][1.0.5]* RSS Visual Enhancements (RVE)

pingopete

Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter  

2,062 members have voted

1. 1. Realistically what would you prefer in RVE? -- choose one from each letter

• A) 1 main cloud layer, 1 cirrus layer (Medium/Compromise)
    • A) Low, Medium, High cloud layers (Heavy/Realistic)
    • B) Detail bias towards Land/Atmosphere visuals
    • B) Detail bias towards Orbit/Space visuals
    • C) Realism
    • C) Detail
    • C) CPU accessibility

This is so beautiful! How well does it work with the current version of RSS?

Pretty well actually, I use the 1/10th config without issue, though for volumetric clouds you're going to want to supplement with something like Astronomers Visual pack, or BetterAtmospheres (just the clouds from them)

One of the things I love about your config is that you represent the inky black of the terminator line perfectly. Lots of other packs I've tested light up the planet far too much on the night side.

Release an experimental beta, I'll be happy to test it for you!

Thank you, all! The lighting is something I wanted to sort and get realistic :) It looks best with distant object too as that will blacken the background stars when viewing bright objects (planets) representing the adjustment to brightness you'd see through a lense or with your eyes.

And this is the beta! :P

Titan especially looks beyond amazing!

Going to try use this on the Kerbal sized RSS

It was one I really wanted to nail, as its atmosphere is so dynamic. Still a lot of work to do at ground level though, and that goes for all the planets.

Aww man! That looks awesome!!

Thanks! :) It'd be really great to see that atmo shader finished off. Is there anyway I could test your code for you, if you didn't have a system to test on.. that's if you have the time to get coding. If there's anything I can do to help get the overhauls up and running again, please say

I managed to punch through the original street brightness into the higher res streets to increase the overall variance in lighting through the city.

And again calling out to anyone who has some spare time and wan't to help produce this texture!

2GFUlVt.png

Edited by pingopete

And this is the beta! :P

Sure it is, but I'm referring to the build you're showing off in these recent posts. Even if it might not be ready for an official beta update, perhaps you could use someone to help test what you've got so far in this build.

(aka: I want it and there's no harm in asking! :))

P.S. These pictures you're showing us of what you're working on in the next build - Is that running within the updated 7.3 RSS?

Pretty well actually, I use the 1/10th config without issue, though for volumetric clouds you're going to want to supplement with something like Astronomers Visual pack, or BetterAtmospheres (just the clouds from them)

Shiny! Pardon my ignorance but how do I get just the volumetric clouds out of Better Atmospheres? I'm not sure which directory they're packed into.

Shiny! Pardon my ignorance but how do I get just the volumetric clouds out of Better Atmospheres? I'm not sure which directory they're packed into.

nice Firefly reference. To answer your question, they should be in BoulderCo under Clouds. just copy tje Clouds folder over and replace anything that is already there.

Sure it is, but I'm referring to the build you're showing off in these recent posts. Even if it might not be ready for an official beta update, perhaps you could use someone to help test what you've got so far in this build.

(aka: I want it and there's no harm in asking! :))

P.S. These pictures you're showing us of what you're working on in the next build - Is that running within the updated 7.3 RSS?

yup :) and sure I'll see what I can do, working on an updates 7.3 rss config now

nice Firefly reference. To answer your question, they should be in BoulderCo under Clouds. just copy tje Clouds folder over and replace anything that is already there.

Thanks! So I thought I had it figured out, and Kerbin looked really nice, but then I had conflicting textures for Eve (which is now supposed to be Venus), Jool (Jupiter), and Laythe (Titan). I can't navigate this mod soup of dependencies D: I'll try again, but I want to see if I have this right:

1) Install the latest version of EVE (7.4) by extracting BoulderCo and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements into the GameData folder.

2) Extract the Clouds folder from Better Atmospheres into BoulderCo, overwrite as necessary.

3) Extract RVE into GameData and overwrite as necessary.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks! So I thought I had it figured out, and Kerbin looked really nice, but then I had conflicting textures for Eve (which is now supposed to be Venus), Jool (Jupiter), and Laythe (Titan). I can't navigate this mod soup of dependencies D: I'll try again, but I want to see if I have this right:

1) Install the latest version of EVE (7.4) by extracting BoulderCo and EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements into the GameData folder.

2) Extract the Clouds folder from Better Atmospheres into BoulderCo, overwrite as necessary.

3) Extract RVE into GameData and overwrite as necessary.

Am I missing anything?

I don't believe so. I use Astronomers Visual Pack and I haven't checked out the Gas Giants yet, but that should work.

See, I used AVP first and got the same thing with conflicting textures. Joolpiter appears green like normal, but the jupiter clouds flickering into view on occasion. It looks very glitchy. Same with Eve. Titan looks like titan, except it has white fluffy water-vapor clouds over the impenitrable haze of hydrocarbons. Neptune and Uranus look fine, since their base planets didn't have atmospheres to begin with. I'd just really like a step-by-step readme for how to get EVE and RSS to work together, or I can wait until the next official release of RVE I suppose.

Don't use eve 7.4 or 7.3 for a start, it doesn't play well with rss, get the overhaul 9.2 linked in the op, then install RVE.

If it's the cloud gestures you want then you'll need to find them from whatever mod and put them in boulderco clouds folder, and chamge their names to match those in my RVE download, (removing my originals). This will make the cloud config recognise those textures instead of mine.

If it's the settings you want to adjust, press alt + e in game and tweak the values as wanted, hitting save and apply when done. :)

It occurred to me that the 'colour values over 1' glitch might work well on the haze layers. I've been experimenting using higher values to give a Rayleigh scattering effect on the terminators. Still not final but let me know which look you're inclined towards more/which reflects real world terminators most realistically.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

And some Further testing in general:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by pingopete

Okay man, enough teasing us with these amazing pictures! :)

I'm getting ready to start a video series centered around the Real Solar System mod and would love an updated version of your mod to go along with it.

sweet I'll see what I can put together, the city lights will take a little while however, can't make up my mind on the different haze layers :/

Heh. Thanks, scaled space looked nice though :)

Edit: Turns out it's probably not lack of memory. (KSP runs on about 3.5 out of 8 gb on my .64 install at the moment.) On the other hand, deleting EVE and it's associated folder did nothing to change the fact that my atmos are missing. So OT and nevermind I guess :P

Edited by ThorBeorn

Heh. Thanks, scaled space looked nice though :)

Edit: Turns out it's probably not lack of memory. (KSP runs on about 3.5 out of 8 gb on my .64 install at the moment.) On the other hand, deleting EVE and it's associated folder did nothing to change the fact that my atmos are missing. So OT and nevermind I guess :P

I had that problem, affecting atmosphere from ground (blue horizon haze) back in the older EVE, I think it turned out to be to do with betteratmospheres rss fork for afg nodes that RSS mod didn't read properly. Are you up to date with all associated mods then?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.