Deep space transmission

Cimroa

After going an extreme distance out of the kerbol system, I began receiving a looped transmission. Does anybody else know about this?

I think this is known and the signal you hear is the Duna SSTV signal.

screen17.jpg

So.

I tried verifying this legend, and I went so ridiculously far out that the units on the altimeter looped around back to meters (this screenshot is just below that point). And with my headphones turned up really really loud, I still didn't hear a peep.

Methinks this is either a made-up legend, or it comes from something other than the altitude (perhaps time?) - or, it's an easter egg in some popular mod like Mechjeb (which I do not have installed).

P.S. I did discover something else interesting - at this distance KSP is at least partially aware that you should be outside the Sun's SOI. Solar panels do not provide any power at all, and the orbital speed is 0.0 m/s - unless you burn (presumably you hyperedited yourself out here), in which case your speed is, well, whatever your burn determines. Basically this is effectively interstellar space, a blank slate where you can play around as if there were no Sun or planets at all.

EDIT: Scratch that P.S. It isn't safe to "play around" in KSP's version of interstellar space. First, it seems to confuse KSP about the location of the launch pad (my next launch was in high Eve orbit for some reason), and second, if you detach anything from the ship and then you ever time accelerate even a tiny bit, that piece will be lost forever in the infinite void. You won't even be able to see it on the map.

...and also, this seems to invite the Hell Kraken.

Edited by parameciumkid

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/17/27/45/47/th/screen17.jpg

So.

I tried verifying this legend, and I went so ridiculously far out that the units on the altimeter looped around back to meters (this screenshot is just below that point). And with my headphones turned up really really loud, I still didn't hear a peep.

Methinks this is either a made-up legend, or it comes from something other than the altitude (perhaps time?) - or, it's an easter egg in some popular mod like Mechjeb (which I do not have installed).

P.S. I did discover something else interesting - at this distance KSP is at least partially aware that you should be outside the Sun's SOI. Solar panels do not provide any power at all, and the orbital speed is 0.0 m/s - unless you burn (presumably you hyperedited yourself out here), in which case your speed is, well, whatever your burn determines. Basically this is effectively interstellar space, a blank slate where you can play around as if there were no Sun or planets at all.

EDIT: Scratch that P.S. It isn't safe to "play around" in KSP's version of interstellar space. First, it seems to confuse KSP about the location of the launch pad (my next launch was in high Eve orbit for some reason), and second, if you detach anything from the ship and then you ever time accelerate even a tiny bit, that piece will be lost forever in the infinite void. You won't even be able to see it on the map.

...and also, this seems to invite the Hell Kraken.

Hmm, it would be interesting to play around in deep space without having to worry about orbits. You could build stations and just travel from one to another directly. It would be like playing Eve :)

There's no sound set to play at extreme distances from Kerbol, so barring bugs if you heard anything in-game it was the Duna SSTV signal.

Record it and post it as a bug please, this thread's just going to confuse people, will close this one :)