1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

3 hours ago, colfighter said:

How long do you think it will be until this mod is compatible with 1.1? I'm currently on 1.1.3

Between "soon" and "soonTM"

That's all we know. That's all lo-fi and Shadowmage know (I think).
The reason for this uncertainty is the nature of the task they have taken on. For one thing, it's programming, which seems to follow (roughly) the 80-20 rule.* For another thing, they are working in a field they have little familiarity with, and learning new stuff as they go on.

However, there is a chance that they'll get the technology far enough to beta-release the agrav, "soon." I can't speak for the magnitude of that chance, but it's a chance.

guys - have patience,

Wheel code is basically the most difficult stuff to get right in unity and with introduction of unity 5 (ksp 1.1.x) it got even weirder (some say broken - check all complaints from other unity game makers). You can see that even using Edy vehicle's physics - the best wheel package for unity 5 essentially broke all stock wheel and landing gear behaviour.

So the wheel issue is the top tier difficulty here especially compared to other stuff in KSP.

As a modder myself, I can understand your frustration, your desire to make it work correctly and the trial by error methods you have to endure due to a veritable lack of information.  

You have my sympathies..

As a player, omg doods... I can't even land on the Mun without your WHEELZ!!! :0.0:

Good hunting guys.

13 hours ago, colfighter said:

How long do you think it will be until this mod is compatible with 1.1? I'm currently on 1.1.3

Longer than it would take to read back a few posts in the thread and find out no-one really has any idea.

From now on, anyone asking "how long" will be treated to a virtual slap around the face with a wet fish. You have been warned

Edited by lo-fi

1 hour ago, lo-fi said:

From now on, anyone asking "how long" will be treated to a virtual slap around the face with a wet fish. You have been warned

I vote that we make sure said fish is a live shark first, though.

If you're so desperately thirsty for wheels, why not make your own. you'd be surprised what you can do with some IR rotatrons, struts, and angled parts. this truck can max at 30 mps right now (any more and it becomes very unstable.) but it's still better than no wheels.

YlGhLnz.png

17 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Nailed it. That's exactly what I had in mind :)

have you ever thought of releasing different parts of the mod separately as you complete them like a pack with only tracks or wheels etc. 

Edited by epicman81

5 hours ago, Rushligh said:

If you're so desperately thirsty for wheels, why not make your own. you'd be surprised what you can do with some IR rotatrons, struts, and angled parts. this truck can max at 30 mps right now (any more and it becomes very unstable.) but it's still better than no wheels.

Tank steering, or is there a return-to-center mode on hinges in there?  Might have to try it if it's the second.

@lo-fi  Is there anything you need me to clean up / fix / change in the current wheel implementation before you can work on the joint-based suspension setup?

I'll also spend a bit of time this week playing around with joints more, learning what I can, trying to get them figured out a bit better.  Seems that I'm going to need to learn them sooner or later, and learning them now could have benefits to the wheel system if I can get a good enough grasp of them.

Camping went well; much food was eaten, many drinks consumed, and nobody got seriously injured.  All-in-all it was a good trip.  Never as relaxing as I would like for 'vacation', but at least it is a change of scenery and a chance to get out of town and away from the rest of the world for a few days.

I think I'm all good thanks. Weather here is perfect for sitting indoors beating code into submission (wet and windy), so I'm getting stuck in again. Glad you had a good trip :)

Shout if there's anything I can help with joint wise, it's best if we pool the knowledge!

On 6/29/2016 at 10:47 AM, Shadowmage said:

Never as relaxing as I would like for 'vacation', but at least it is a change of scenery and a chance to get out of town and away from the rest of the world for a few days.

Camping is never relaxing in the short term. You have to go at it for at least 2 weeks before it becomes a vacation. Unfortunately, we never have two weeks to do anything anymore. I know from experience that "weekend camping getaways" take longer to set up than to actually enjoy the camping experience. I've done the two week camping trip and it's a lot better if you are prepared to do so. As far as wheels are concerned, we know the band of miscreants trying to get this wheel issue sorted out are at wits end. Sometimes, it does good to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation. But, LoFi appears to be doing what he does best in the situation he's in, so best of luck to you, sir. 

7 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Uhm. So what would happen if I tried to use it with 1.1.x?

Bad ThingsTM

At least that's what I imagine. Since the wheels the old KF used don't even exist anymore, I imagine the everything would break. I don't know how severe this breaking would be, but probably not good.

6 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Bad ThingsTM

At least that's what I imagine. Since the wheels the old KF used don't even exist anymore, I imagine the everything would break. I don't know how severe this breaking would be, but probably not good.

Tested this for Science!  And yeah, the wheels don't work.  Nothing catastrophic happens, the wheels just literally do nothing.

Looks like when KSP switched to unity 5, they left no room for backwards compatibility, which I personally think was a bit foolish.  I can understand putting their own wheels on the ridiculously-unusable new wheel code that spazzes out when too many wheels are in the same 2.2km zone, but at least leave the unity 4 wheel colliders as a fallback for mod support.

And yes, I know, someone out there's probably asking, "Why would you risk your game to test this?"  One, I did it to a brand new save, so I wouldn't lose anything, and two, I've got high-speed internet.  If I had to do an emergency re-download of KSP because I broke something really really badly, I wouldn't be too bothered by it.  And three, if something broke terribly, I could give a warning to leave this be, and if something broke smoothly, I could simply mention what happened.  And in this case, things failed smoothly.

Honestly, I was hoping for something epic to happen, but I suppose not all tests can have catastrophic results every time.  Never been so disappointed in breaking something before.  And to think I tried to come up with every solution to break these things when I was on the testing team ages ago...

Still, I'm not worried.  I'll just remove the non-functional Kerbal Foundries from my 1.1.3 save and continue my usual insanity.

Yeah, I was a little sad when I installed KFWheels and discovered that they did nothing. I will admit though the rover body is still useful, just that I dont exactly trust it with the stock wheels cause they're meh.

Really want the medium wheels working again, I was doing some crazy stuff with those.