1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

ModulePropeller: most tracks already have it, wheels may not (but should do - might be an oversight). I will get around to documenting my modules at some point, I swear! It will work with anything running ModuleTrack, all you need to define in the config is the propellerForce. I've been so busy, I forget about some of the stuff I've created!

Yep, that's sort what I have in mind. Along with funky suspension never seen in KSP before as far as I know...

ModulePropeller does work, though I... seem to be having buoyancy issues. For reasons of this vehicle's design (low center of gravity), I need some form of flotation. Submerging the vehicle and trying to accelerate... That's gonna lead to a whole lot of destruction. I'm sure I'll come up with something, though. I usually do.

Hehe. Good luck! Larger craft tended to be better in the water, I found.

1.7 link is in the OP. Please, please, please read the release and install notes. Brand new part modules = bugs interesting features. A lot of effort has been put into testing, but there will, no doubt, be something we missed or didn't think of, so please file sensible bug reports if you find something. Either way, enjoy :)

Found a module that works! Had to grab it off of Firespitter, but now I have floaty tracks. Of course, the instant you manage to make buoyant tracks, I'll be dumping that code into these tracks instead, but for now, this will do.

As for larger craft, yes, they're better in the water, but they're worse on land. My intent is to see how far I can drive an electric buggy with the small-tracks.

Screws are..wierd but fun. i canot gues what is advantage of having them?

They seemed kinda... Kerbal? Slightly wacky and different I guess.

By the way, just threw together this little proof of concept:

Now those wheels look really cool. Could be an interesting way to cross large expanses of bumpy terrain.

Hope so :) My direction at this point is to go for different. It's doing crazy stuff and pushing the bounds of what might or might not be possible that has got me this far, so I might as well press on and see what happens.

So easy to create stuff now I'm not tied into the stock wheel module, it makes all those hours slaving over the code absolutely worth it. Things just seem to evolve!

Absolutely loving the repulsors over water! The gears in my head are spinning for the Laythe seaplane I want to build this weekend! I love the inclusion of the sounds. The fun an immersion they add are huge. The wheel handling, at least on light rovers, is a bit wonky. Very descriptive, I know. It's almost like they're stubbing their toes, or hitting an invisible protrusion sticking up out of the ground. It doesn't happen full time, but every few seconds, something seems to trip them up. I'll have to experiment with different settings and vehicle weights. But most of all, thanks for this mod! :cool:

Absolutely loving the repulsors over water! The gears in my head are spinning for the Laythe seaplane I want to build this weekend! I love the inclusion of the sounds. The fun an immersion they add are huge. The wheel handling, at least on light rovers, is a bit wonky. Very descriptive, I know. It's almost like they're stubbing their toes, or hitting an invisible protrusion sticking up out of the ground. It doesn't happen full time, but every few seconds, something seems to trip them up. I'll have to experiment with different settings and vehicle weights. But most of all, thanks for this mod! :cool:

Glad you like the sounds :) let us know how you get on a Laythe, that will be interesting!

I've noticed the trip too, it always seems to be in the same places. I was wondering if the collider for the ground is actually a whole bunch of colliders and its the seams they're tripping on. Stock do the same, just less, and interestingly, the suspension settings will update at that point, which means the raycast has hit nothing for a frame. Any extra info gratefully received!

Huh, so we might actually be able to build a lowrider with working bounciness? Bob's gonna go nuts...

Oh, that I've been able to do for ages :)

Edited by lo-fi

Hey LoFi any chance of some docs and a couple of hierarchies to have a look at? , having a real mare getting project wheels to play nice with new features. other than that nothing interesting to report , but the tracks are great.

That looks wicked! Yeah, docs are something I need to do. Been requested a couple of times now, if only for config bashing. Lots of configuration options because the new modules are designed to be general purpose, so needs a bit of explanation.

I'm heartened by the lack of bug reports for 1.7 so far, much as I don't want to jinx things :)

Haha. Bring it on! Small wheel is progressing, though I'm not happy with the aesthetic of the suspension arms yet. I couldn't get the bendy ones to work how I wanted because Unity seems to handle the skinned mesh a little different to Max and it just doesn't look right, so it's now centreless with the suspension inside the wheel.

Anyone got a little more inspiration for funky wheels or suspension designs?

Perhaps a central axle with miniature repulsors on it inside the wheel?

Alternatively, go full Kerbal and have an axle with rubber bands hooked around it and into the wheel rim. Think stretchy bicycle spokes.

Hehe. I can do an external command seat bike sort of thing for use with small wheels and tracks - would be quite cool, I think. Hubless wheels will be up next. 1.8 will be a parts release with small wheels, small tracks, repulsor wheels (think BTTF) and hopefully a surface mount track.

Look closely; they're not medium wheels ;) they are converting repulsor wheels! Will be in 1.8, normal medium wheels will share the texture for the common parts. Gorgeous, isn't it! Justin excelled himself there :)

Perhaps a central axle with miniature repulsors on it inside the wheel?

Alternatively, go full Kerbal and have an axle with rubber bands hooked around it and into the wheel rim. Think stretchy bicycle spokes.

Oh, you mean certreless supported by a force field kind of thing? Yeah, that would be cool.

A rubber band wheel I can certainly do :)

Thanks guys, keep it coming!

That's a tricky one due to the way KSP handles symmetry - being rotational, rather than mirror. The beams go forward on the left and backwards in the right. I do have a solution for this, but it's still in development... The screws use it actually, but it needs improvement for anything more complex. Thinking about it, I may have forgotten to include that little plugin with the 1.7 download!!!! I will go check...

Look closely; they're not medium wheels ;) they are converting repulsor wheels! Will be in 1.8, normal medium wheels will share the texture for the common parts. Gorgeous, isn't it! Justin excelled himself there :)!

I just have to ask, what are converting repulsor wheels? What use and what makes them special? And may I ask, what will be in the next update and when will it come out, any ideas?

Dual function: work as wheels until you toggle the into repulsor mode, at which point they flip sideways (hence the Back To The Future reference), then work as repulsors. I'll make a showcase vid, it's probably overdue :) Useful for high speed dashes in repulsor mode, then you've got the fine control and stability wheels give. And the animation is just cool!

1.8: Small wheels, small tracks, the aforementioned, probably something else I haven't come up with yet, plus usual bug fixes etc. Maybe some small rover bodies with integrated command seat. No idea on timescales, will depend on texturing. Rough idea, anyway.