[1.2] USI Survivability Pack (Formerly DERP) [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

Actually, I'm with 0.14.1.1 and adding FAR to RealChutes and full USI pack causes the everything-is-on-and-firing bug on PodEngine in VAB. I'm still poking at it, but I'm now sure it's not related to MM version.
It's RealChutes.
Hm. Can it be fixed with MM blacklist?

Hm. Can it be fixed with MM blacklist?

The problem is not that I don't want RealChutes - the problem is that the RealChutes config is being problematic. Works for some, fails for others, so at this point it's getting removed again.

The problem is not that I don't want RealChutes - the problem is that the RealChutes config is being problematic. Works for some, fails for others, so at this point it's getting removed again.

Thanks. I just deleted corresponding MM file and all good. Except FAR errors at least.

Hey RoverDude so I run your entire constellation plus many many other mods on my main save, I have run into the problem of the DERP propulsion module having the rcs and parachute animations running continuously in and outside the VAB.

From what I read it is currently suspected to be an issue with RealChutes.

I have read one person saying that it is an interaction issue with the MM cfg for RealChutes and the MM cfg for FAR.

I have also read that people are having NullRefs in regards to FAR.

So I decided to do some testing on my own and provide you the info.

I did a complete clean install of the following:

KSP version 0.24.2

USI Survivability pack v 0.1.1 (same results with v 0.1.0

RealChute v 1.2.4 (same results with v 1.2.3)

DRE Continued v 5.2

ATM v 3.4

MM 2.4.4 (I did not use 2.2.1 which is what is currently included with the survivability pack as 2.4.4 is needed for my main save so I want to test against that)

with the above mods I have no issues with the DERP propulsion unit exhibiting the continuous rcs and decouple and parachute animations.

Add:

FAR v 0.14.1.1

I now have the issue of the continuous animations in the VAB. I believe something about how the two module manager patches are set up (the one for RealChutes and the one for FAR) is causing some sort of bad interaction.

I am going to mess around with the cfgs and see what I can find out, I will edit this post with updates.

Cheers

Hey RoverDude so I run your entire constellation plus many many other mods on my main save, I have run into the problem of the DERP propulsion module having the rcs and parachute animations running continuously in and outside the VAB.

From what I read it is currently suspected to be an issue with RealChutes.

I have read one person saying that it is an interaction issue with the MM cfg for RealChutes and the MM cfg for FAR.

I have also read that people are having NullRefs in regards to FAR.

So I decided to do some testing on my own and provide you the info.

I did a complete clean install of the following:

KSP version 0.24.2

USI Survivability pack v 0.1.1 (same results with v 0.1.0

RealChute v 1.2.4 (same results with v 1.2.3)

DRE Continued v 5.2

ATM v 3.4

MM 2.4.4 (I did not use 2.2.1 which is what is currently included with the survivability pack as 2.4.4 is needed for my main save so I want to test against that)

with the above mods I have no issues with the DERP propulsion unit exhibiting the continuous rcs and decouple and parachute animations.

Add:

FAR v 0.14.1.1

I now have the issue of the continuous animations in the VAB. I believe something about how the two module manager patches are set up (the one for RealChutes and the one for FAR) is causing some sort of bad interaction.

I am going to mess around with the cfgs and see what I can find out, I will edit this post with updates.

Cheers

Thanks - working on an alternate FAR config right now

Thanks - working on an alternate FAR config right now

Right on, I was just about to edit my post with my findings: that for whatever reason (as I am unaware how FAR handles things like this) whenever you try and apply the FARBasicDragModel to the pod engine when the pod engine also has a RealChutes module sadness occurs, doesn't mater if they are being added by the same MM config or if they are manually put into the part config, but if you remove the basic drag model (or RealChutes) from the engine happiness resumes. For the moment I am just going to remove that part from the FAR config and keep adding it to the pod itself and keep the RealChute config. Thanks for all your hard work :D

Cheers

The crash bags are excellent - I worked up a ship for my Minmus expedition using the Exploration package. You can see it dangling off the back. RCS powered, stupidly nimble and with almost 2k dV in an itty bitty package and all the science gear I could stuff on it for the trip. Land, take all samples in that biome, return to ship, unload into science lab (first time I've actually found a use for one!) and then bop back down. I used to go with a 'probe shotgun' concept of sending a probe ship with 12 individual probes to Minmus, each with a lot of spare fuel plus science components. Then I'd send a lander that would land at each probe, collect science from the probe and soil samples/reports, then move the probes stock of fuel to the lander to cover his trip to the next landing spot. Slow and cumbersome and insanely risky. Using this little micro-lander was faster, easier and more fun.

Notice the HERP module command seat. The first-person from that thing is a *trip*.

However with the lander on the back and HERP on the front there's no option for a vertical landing. I've got a goal of 100% recovery or as close to it on my missions and so I didn't want to just blow off expensive chunks of my ship so I tried the crash bags for a horizontal landing option. Rowed up chutes on one side and put bags on the other with a DERP for each crew in case it looked like it was going to go pear shaped.

Ran it like a moon landing. You come in way high, engines-first. Burn thrust to kill horizontal velocity as much as possible then chutes.

I expected some bouncing, maybe the lander to get destroyed but nope. Stuck the 3-point landing without any complaint. Not as stable as landing gear for a low gravity set-down but for Kerbin? If it's not coming down powered it's coming down on these.

21C7dPC.png

Ok here is my logs for the FAR DERP issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bzmalgmxagebml/Logs.zip?dl=0

Right on, I was just about to edit my post with my findings: that for whatever reason (as I am unaware how FAR handles things like this) whenever you try and apply the FARBasicDragModel to the pod engine when the pod engine also has a RealChutes module sadness occurs, doesn't mater if they are being added by the same MM config or if they are manually put into the part config, but if you remove the basic drag model (or RealChutes) from the engine happiness resumes. For the moment I am just going to remove that part from the FAR config and keep adding it to the pod itself and keep the RealChute config. Thanks for all your hard work :D

Cheers

Weird... will see if the new config changes things. Going to do a patch tonight.

hi again rover dude. ive been having some problems with rocket stability and needless to say im now looking at excessive drag in my design. i was checking all the components for their drag value and noticed the derp pod has a drag coefficient of 1.0. is it supposed to be so high? i think its causing my rockets to flip because at this point i have to try launching my design by striping one part at a time to identify the imbalance.

edit: just tested and confirmed its the derp pods causing crazy drag. i can provide ss if you think im using them in some unintended way, also i miss the black color how come it was removed ?

Edited by endl

hi again rover dude. ive been having some problems with rocket stability and needless to say im now looking at excessive drag in my design. i was checking all the components for their drag value and noticed the derp pod has a drag coefficient of 1.0. is it supposed to be so high? i think its causing my rockets to flip because at this point i have to try launching my design by striping one part at a time to identify the imbalance.

edit: just tested and confirmed its the derp pods causing crazy drag. i can provide ss if you think im using them in some unintended way, also i miss the black color how come it was removed ?

Log a github issue for both and I will take a look :)

Log a github issue for both and I will take a look :)

ok submitted, hope this isnt hard to fix ;p im sending up 12 of them with base so thats 24 total drag for what would normally be 2.4

edit:

i know you said that its breaks the decoupler of the derp propulsion module if you were to add a 2nd node, is it possible to get a node version and a radial version in the parts list so that we can just attach it with a standard decoupler if thats the case? or is there some other issue that prevents this possibility?

Edited by endl

Hey roverdude - Love all your mods :) use em all

The derp engine part, is kinda messing things up when its placed in a KAS container (mks/oks kas containers - etc) I go to remove it with a kerbal and Boom everything locks up or crashes.

sometimes it comes back unlocked, but the derp part isnt anywhere to be found - the few times Ive switched to it - its kinda just floating in space (or center of planet) with engines going/rcs going off.

I do have a rather heavy amount of mods installed - But I recently updated the derp to your Sept 28 version - and thats when it started doing it.

Hi, I'm having an issue with the mod. When I attach the pod propulsion module in the VAB, the chute is extended and the RCS ports have the firing animation playing continuosly. Bug continues on the launch pad even with various options clicked.

Any ideas?

Hi, I'm having an issue with the mod. When I attach the pod propulsion module in the VAB, the chute is extended and the RCS ports have the firing animation playing continuosly. Bug continues on the launch pad even with various options clicked.

Any ideas?

Read back a couple pages. Post #396

Or FAR. It works fine with NEAR and RealChutes.

There's an updated FAR config in the experimentals version on my dropbox (note it in the all-in-one pack).

Given my install works fine with both FAR and RealChutes, if anyone else can double-verify this from the USI experimental build that would be lovely.

Decouple (Propulsion)

Engines (Propulsion)

Parachute (Propulsion)

Evacuate (Pod - automatically transfers crew to available D.E.R.P pods and inflates them).

Can I suggest

Decouple (Propulsion)

Engines (Propulsion)

Relocate (Pod - automatically transfers crew to available D.E.R.P pods and inflates them).

Parachute (Propulsion)

Decouple (Propulsion)

Engines (Propulsion)

Parachute (Propulsion)

Evacuate (Pod - automatically transfers crew to available D.E.R.P pods and inflates them).

Can I suggest

Decouple (Propulsion)

Engines (Propulsion)

Relocate (Pod - automatically transfers crew to available D.E.R.P pods and inflates them).

Parachute (Propulsion)

So rename evac? Probably the one thing that will startle people is that when you evac the pod actually decouples and flies away :)

[...]Evacuate (Pod - automatically transfers crew to available D.E.R.P pods and inflates them).[...]

i think you're missing the point of that option. it's intended to be a "get everyone out" panic button. almost as if this was some kinda of Deployable Emergency system that will put all of your kerbals into Reentry safe Pods of some kind.