Rover assembly building

What would you guys think about a rover assembly building. Would get new tools, not quite sure what they would be.

Should it be included with an update for the VAB/SPH mechanic overhaul. Another thing that would be nice is inter compatibility between the assembly buildings, like transfer to VAB or transfer to SPH?

I like it, even though this is possibly something for a later stage in development.

Some sort of smaller assembly hall/clean room environment in general for small probe/rover/satellite construction maybe ?

As you say it could have specialized assistance tools that could be specific to probe/rover construction (very exact placement of parts without using the big nodes for smallest possible form factor, maybe different symmetry settings) Maybe there could be an adjacent test track to verify the usability of rovers?

What would you guys think about a rover assembly building. Would get new tools, not quite sure what they would be.

Should it be included with an update for the VAB/SPH mechanic overhaul. Another thing that would be nice is inter compatibility between the assembly buildings, like transfer to VAB or transfer to SPH?

YES PLEASE

A vehicle depot is badly needed. I didn't realize this until I started working on the KSOS Phase IV which is a series of service trucks and accessories. Having to drive all the way from the runway gets tiring. Wish there was a vehicle depot right at the center.

I like it, even though this is possibly something for a later stage in development.

yeah, its not of much use right now because rovers/probes don't have much use in career mode right now, but i definitely see a use for it down the road.

I would have to +1 this.

I don't use rovers for 2 reasons: It's a pain in the butt to build them. It's a pain in the butt to launch them. It's a pain in the butt to deploy them. It's a pain in the butt to get anything done with them.

Ok, that's like 4 reasons, but whatever.

A RAB would be exceptionally cool, especially if it launched to a testbed area with terrain features.

Why? All the tools for building rovers are in the SPH. Actually, I would be in favor of consolidating the two editors that we have now in to a single master editor, that way there would be no more frustrating problems of having to export whatever Laythe SSTO you built in the SPH to the VAB via subassemblies, and you could properly edit said subassemblies without going back to the SPH. I don't think that the game needs another editor, especially when all the necessary rover editing tools are already in the SPH (except, maybe, closer zoom options).

Why? All the tools for building rovers are in the SPH. Actually, I would be in favor of consolidating the two editors that we have now in to a single master editor, that way there would be no more frustrating problems of having to export whatever Laythe SSTO you built in the SPH to the VAB via subassemblies, and you could properly edit said subassemblies without going back to the SPH. I don't think that the game needs another editor, especially when all the necessary rover editing tools are already in the SPH (except, maybe, closer zoom options).

If you don't mind mods, you should try Editor Extensions. Lets you use SPH-style symmetry in the VAB and vice-versa, among other things.

If you don't mind mods, you should try Editor Extensions. Lets you use SPH-style symmetry in the VAB and vice-versa, among other things.

I do use Editor Extensions. That's where I go the idea.

I agree, we don't need this. The SPH can do this just fine. And by moving the camera you can zoom in much, much closer than you will ever be able to in the VAB.

What I do want to see is complete interchangeability between VAB and SPH. Editor Extensions is a good start with its mirror/radial symmetry but is still doesn't allow for the free zoom in the VAB like you have in the SPH. Neither does it give you a shared customizable file system.

But those things, just like a rover testing ground, have all been suggested and discussed dozens of times.

Ok, this feature falls into the "not urgently needed, but would be damn cool to have" category. And a testtrack could maybe contain some sort of crane, so you could teather up your rovers and simulate different gravity settings....

We can dream.... :rolleyes:

It would be cool but a lot of features that would help rover design would also help with a lot of plane/ship design, so a new building isn't really necessary they just need to improve the GUI and features of the VAB.

I agree, we don't need this. The SPH can do this just fine. And by moving the camera you can zoom in much, much closer than you will ever be able to in the VAB.

What I do want to see is complete interchangeability between VAB and SPH. Editor Extensions is a good start with its mirror/radial symmetry but is still doesn't allow for the free zoom in the VAB like you have in the SPH. Neither does it give you a shared customizable file system.

But those things, just like a rover testing ground, have all been suggested and discussed dozens of times.

You can pan the camera in the VAB as well, but I think you need to use M3.

You can pan the camera in the VAB as well, but I think you need to use M3.

Mouse + right button = rotate around center up/down/left/right

Mouse scroll = camera up/down

Mouse + middle button / [shift] + scroll = zoom

Nothing in the VAB lets me move the camera front/back, strafe left/right or rotate the camera in place like in the SPH.

If you can, then please show me how.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.