You can always tell a new build eminent by:

Ignamious

So, I was skulking the add-on release thread while waiting for my windshield replacement, and it hit me.

You can always tell when a new build is eminent by the mod authors. See a few weeks before a new build you start noticing mod enhancement start to slow down, it's rare for new features to be pushed, and most are just bug fixes, there are less new plugins made as well.

It's an exciting time for sure, and I think that explains observational point number two. People start getting angry at the developers.

It's something I don't understand, you usually get one or two post about how Squad is "blah blah blah" and what I read into it is "hurry hurry gimme gimme" haha!

What kind of calm before the storm have ya'll noticed? I wonder if this happens with real word things like the SLS, or a book release. Do people act like this when the see the pre-production studio review of a new Movie that they buy into?

-Jeremy

Actually, compared to 0.23.5, the build up to this update has been really upbeat. I think the KSP media team have handled this one much better than last time as there is no massive amount of video footage given to us wayyy before release. As for the negativity, I haven't seen anything at all. People can wait!

I totally agree with you WillHop... the things made public and the timing was much more determined than during .23.5. And it is awarded by much less ranting, complaining and speculating here in the forums.

And the way Squad handled the delay due to more features being added was very nice too. I am really looking forward to this update. Cant wait, to be exactly, but it is a much more pleasant situation than back then.

Time to send a "Well done!" to Squad here. :)

I hope 0.24 breaks my current save. I want to know whether my crazy partially reusable 2STO all solid first stage designs actually make economic sense compared to SSTOs.

Edit: Pic :)

sWiKJj5.jpg

Edited by Torquemadus

A good friend of mine studies psychology. She watched me reading the dev-notes last week, mumbled something of "addictive behaviour" and left the room headshaking... And reading some comments on the forum lately I'm not the worst case. ;)

The big dogs will usually get their vacation out of the way before the release so they can be on hand for grenades rolling about at launch. So watch for lead developers taking vacations. Once they're over, I'd predict 2 to 4 weeks until rollout.

...how do I make a winking emoticon?

Steam will auto-update, yes. If you see the update release announcement before Steam notices there's an update, you can close and re-start Steam in order to get it to re-check things straight away and start the download.

Saves may or may not be broken. Generally speaking, saves are most often broken when the format of the save files changes, or when parts are removed or completely re-done, as that tends to break craft files. With the Contracts system, it is possible that save files will simply be able to add the additional contracts information to existing saves, but it's not certain. I'd say there's a fair chance old save files will be quite glitchy, if they work at all.

ScopusAurelius, the :wink: emoticon is displayed with [noparse]:wink:[/noparse].

I wonder if this happens with real word things like the SLS, or a book release. Do people act like this when the see the pre-production studio review of a new Movie that they buy into?

I think most "real world" products don't have so many of their consumers invested (but not contributing) ahead of the release. I think this type of buy-it-in-alpha (I'm spacing on what this is called) causes peculiar types of community behavior because we're all invested in the outcome but don't have direct influence so it can cause very critical behavior. Whereas for a movie, for example, I may be looking forward to it but I can't pay until I have literally zero chance of altering the result. Or something like that; interesting thoughts.

So, I was skulking the add-on release thread while waiting for my windshield replacement, and it hit me.

You can always tell when a new build is eminent by the mod authors. See a few weeks before a new build you start noticing mod enhancement start to slow down, it's rare for new features to be pushed, and most are just bug fixes, there are less new plugins made as well.

It's an exciting time for sure, and I think that explains observational point number two. People start getting angry at the developers.

It's something I don't understand, you usually get one or two post about how Squad is "blah blah blah" and what I read into it is "hurry hurry gimme gimme" haha!

What kind of calm before the storm have ya'll noticed? I wonder if this happens with real word things like the SLS, or a book release. Do people act like this when the see the pre-production studio review of a new Movie that they buy into?

-Jeremy

It happens for other products too, people will not buy the current version unless price is low. No make new accessories to it.

The big dogs will usually get their vacation out of the way before the release so they can be on hand for grenades rolling about at launch. So watch for lead developers taking vacations. Once they're over, I'd predict 2 to 4 weeks until rollout.

...how do I make a winking emoticon?

...and Romfarer, according to devnotes, is picking this week for a vacation.

Another key pattern is that, close to release, threads like these are allowed to persist for days without being locked for speculation regarding release dates. We wouldn't want any potential customers reading this forum to leave without reading that a game-changing release is likely in the very near future.

Between the patterns of experimental builds sent to steam, the drop in scratchpad activity, the calender date, the activity of mod maintainers (especially those likely given access to ensure their mods remain playable) the near silence from the other early-access groups, squad's vacation patterns, steam sales, changing voice of the dev notes, the over-staged announcements (flags) ... you don't need to be an NSA analyst to make a reasonably accurate prediction.

oh, and one more... Actually discussion from actual developers. Over on reddit Harv has answered direct questions in the last 24h. Squad never does that unless they know exactly what is and is not going to be in the next release. And they wouldn't know that unless .....

Edited by Sandworm

back in the day (say around .16, .17) one could tell the day a release was to occur because HarvesteR would start answering a bunch of questions and responding to posts in the forums, presumably while waiting for a build to finish. I haven't noticed this to continue though :(

I just hope there will be a sketchy looking loan office. "You pay back dis loan, see, or I'll break your struts with my wrench!"

Alternatively, I'll have to make micro sized Arkingthaad landers.

You can never tell when a new build is imminent. Even livestreams of the new build are not the best indicator anymore. My philosophy is this: my cutoff point for major projects is 3-3.5 months, but only if the update will break persistence/craft files. otherwise, keep playing. The last time I stopped my activities to wait for the "imminent" update, it took 6 weeks for the update to actually be released. It was wasted time, and it made waiting a lot worse for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.