[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

Ah how I had missed this mod, completely forgot about it in my time away from KSP. That guard mode I found though to be quite cruel. I had made a sentry tower armed with the vulcan turrets and a reasonable version of a spectre gunship to attack it with. On my third pass the damage started to finally add up and I had to watch as piece by piece my plane was ripped apart. Somehow the cockpit survived and I thought "hey my kerbals lived!" But then the turrets turned on that as well and.... yeah.

Any plans for making ground unit AI? It could e.g. patrol area around place where it was activated and then make circles around encountered foe (if has chosen to use tower-based weapon) or just turn in the direction of the foe (if has chosen a howitzer-like weapon).

I wonder, that sounds like it would need actual pathfinding, which might be hard to do. Or at least placement on a large, flat space (best with some limit for movement).

Hello!

So, one thing I've noticed: when I'm in a AI Vs. AI dogfight, the winner has more fuel. Why? Because the two (or more) planes enter a turnfight and stay that way for upwards of 5 minutes. There is no winner, even when one plane has a huge maneuverability and/or speed advantage.

This annoys me.

Is there any way to get the AI to incorporate a series of basic flight maneuvers into the scripting? For instance, if a certain criteria is met, then the plane will try to do a Yo-Yo, or if a different criteria is met, then a flat or rolling scissors.

I'm not sure how you would do this. Honestly, it seems quite hard. But if you are willing to try, I think it would be a huge improvement to the combat AI.

Thanks for creating a great mod.

Hello!

So, one thing I've noticed: when I'm in a AI Vs. AI dogfight, the winner has more fuel. Why? Because the two (or more) planes enter a turnfight and stay that way for upwards of 5 minutes. There is no winner, even when one plane has a huge maneuverability and/or speed advantage.

This annoys me.

Is there any way to get the AI to incorporate a series of basic flight maneuvers into the scripting? For instance, if a certain criteria is met, then the plane will try to do a Yo-Yo, or if a different criteria is met, then a flat or rolling scissors.

I'm not sure how you would do this. Honestly, it seems quite hard. But if you are willing to try, I think it would be a huge improvement to the combat AI.

Really? I kind of expected to see such things, but, giving both AI's identical crafts with high maneuvrability, they did all matters of crazy stuff and never stayed long at the circling stage.

Maybe your planes are too stable? Or try to up the steering setting on the pilot module. My AI planes worked, both with slow, propeller drive WW2 style fighters, as well as fast eurofighterlike jetplanes.

Edited by Temeter

Hello BahamutoD.

I've been thinking about an improvement for the missile rails. My idea is to make the missile rails always pointed forward, or at least an option for that. My problem is that my top jet fighter has forward-swept wings, and it is goddamn hard to make the missiles always pointed forward on dees wings. A little (maybe bigger) improvement like that would save me a lot of time. Thanks and hope that this is possible to make.

Hello!

This annoys me.

Are you using the latest version? I added some behavior to try to avoid these infinite circles.

It might be difficult to program specific maneuvers, but who knows, I'll give it a shot eventually.

Hello BahamutoD.

I've been thinking about an improvement for the missile rails. My idea is to make the missile rails always pointed forward, or at least an option for that. My problem is that my top jet fighter has forward-swept wings, and it is goddamn hard to make the missiles always pointed forward on dees wings. A little (maybe bigger) improvement like that would save me a lot of time. Thanks and hope that this is possible to make.

Not a bad idea. It should be pretty easy to do.

Are there any plans or something like that to facilitate Artillery?

MLRS systems are easy enough to do as is (A part would still be nice), but they do need a target. You cant just bombard a general area... (Dumbfire just goes everywhere really)

And if you want to use Howitzers or rocket pods, well that gets a whole deal worse. Target reticule isnt as reliable as it should be I find. Is there any possibility of adding an artillery targetting mode or something for the weapon manager, so that you get much more accurate shots? Or even, a designator where yo utell it to bombard an area and it does.

There's still an ~11km limit to the loading distance for landed vehicles because beyond that distance, they tend to fall through the terrain. I'm not in a hurry to do long range/indirect surface-to-surface weapons because of this.

hi just wondering is my computer causing this or does alt-b not work anymore?

It should definitely still work.

Edited by BahamutoD

Are you using the latest version? I added some behavior to try to avoid these infinite circles.

It might be difficult to program specific maneuvers, but who knows, I'll give it a shot eventually.

No, I don't think I was. :blush: I'll download that now.

But I think it would still be a cool thing to add.

Maybe I am overlooking something in the settings but is there any way to limit how many missiles are fired? I don't have this problem when firing AGMs from a ground based unit, only from a plane.

Lets say I use my usual ground attack loadout of 4 hellfires the first time I hit fire both missiles on the left wing will fire, second time I hit fire both missiles on the right wing fire. I should note this only happens with action groups, if I hold down the mouse it will only fire a single missile, same for the old right click fire. I probably would have used 2 missiles in my first pass anyway since the AI likes to lock on to them and my little anti-air turrets are fairly lethal but it pretty much ensures I need to make a third pass and by that point my plane is ready to fall apart.

Btw, speaking about firing lots of missiles, what's with the ripple fire option in bd's toolbar menu? Doesn't seem to do anything. I assume it's for the rocket pods?

Maybe I am overlooking something in the settings but is there any way to limit how many missiles are fired? I don't have this problem when firing AGMs from a ground based unit, only from a plane.

Lets say I use my usual ground attack loadout of 4 hellfires the first time I hit fire both missiles on the left wing will fire, second time I hit fire both missiles on the right wing fire. I should note this only happens with action groups, if I hold down the mouse it will only fire a single missile, same for the old right click fire. I probably would have used 2 missiles in my first pass anyway since the AI likes to lock on to them and my little anti-air turrets are fairly lethal but it pretty much ensures I need to make a third pass and by that point my plane is ready to fall apart.

I assume you are directly assigning action groups to missiles? You only need to assign the weapon manager's fire command, and switch to the correct weapon (e.g. via action group/context menu of the manager, or toolbar window).

Edited by Temeter

Btw, speaking about firing lots of missiles, what's with the ripple fire option in bd's toolbar menu? Doesn't seem to do anything. I assume it's for the rocket pods?

Ripple Fire means that if your system is armed and you hold down the fire key (default left mouse button), you fire off missiles or rockets in sequence at the specified RPM until you release the mouse button.

Hey guys, just preaching to anyone who cares, but I got the sidewinder growl to work with a some errors (ex, sometimes when the weapon manager targets a craft both sound fx go off at the same time, but only sometimes.) and I think I'll release it with some other sound fx too in a bundle sometime later.

and a little request/curiosity, has anyone thought of developing "small arms" like a .50 cal browning or some sort of PKP rifle that aims like a turret? I have no experience with the turret source code, it will still continue to confuse me to the bitter end.

Rocket pods and missiles yes.
Ripple Fire means that if your system is armed and you hold down the fire key (default left mouse button), you fire off missiles or rockets in sequence at the specified RPM until you release the mouse button.

That does not work for me at all, I can only fire single rockets and the mouse does only work for guns.

Maybe i've set something up incorrectly:

So the alt-b menu shows mouse set up as fire key, the weapon module fire key is the stage button (practical for my controller, tried others with same result). But the module action only fires rockets, while the (alt-b menu) fire key only works for guns.

@TUKE Standby means the AI won't takeoff unless an enemy is detected.

@Temeter when the Weapons manager is armed (easy way to check is BDA's toolbar launcher) if its armed then with a missile selected you hold down the fire key (Default is left click) for some amount of time (default is 0.3 seconds) and it will fire a missile. If ripple fire is on then it will fire missiles at the set RPM, and unlike mashing an AG (Action Group) fire button, it will not fire another missile type. Guns don't have an AG fire option because all AG are toggle except the Brake AG. Guns can fire without the system being armed.

@BahamutoD Whenever you get around to changing the turret code, could you add something like turret channels? This way rather than firing all the guns on the craft, we could set different guns on different channels and fire each channel separately. Each type of gun would have its own channels, rather than all types of guns sharing the same channels.

I thought of this while using supersized 50.cal turrets as 16 inch naval cannons (basically firing 500lb bombs because I can't find anything on 16 inch shell mass) and discovering that firing 8 1/4 ton shells at the same time makes my battleship roll over like a dog.

@Temeter when the Weapons manager is armed (easy way to check is BDA's toolbar launcher) if its armed then with a missile selected you hold down the fire key (Default is left click) for some amount of time (default is 0.3 seconds) and it will fire a missile. If ripple fire is on then it will fire missiles at the set RPM, and unlike mashing an AG (Action Group) fire button, it will not fire another missile type. Guns don't have an AG fire option because all AG are toggle except the Brake AG. Guns can fire without the system being armed.

I assumed so, but that just doesn't work, the fire key never fires missiles for me, regardless of the timer. Still thx for the answer.

edit: Nvm, it works in vanilla! Looks like...

ââ€Å’(° o °)ââ€ËœMod Conflict Timeââ€â€(° o °)ââ€Â

edit2: Or Mod Reinstall Time. Well, that was simple.

Edited by Temeter

Here's the battleship. You'll need tweakscale, OPT, Never Enuff Dakka, and BDynamics. I will say that for personal use I increased the impact tolerance of the OPT parts so it could actually take a hit.

Edited by BoomShroom
forgot Never Enuff Dakka, and BDynamics. And SI's Mk2 Expansion. *headdesk*

If I mod in some AblativeShielding (the type heatshields use) onto Structural Panels to increase their value as armor, what sort of an effect will it have? What other options do I have to make Structural Panels more durable?

There's still an ~11km limit to the loading distance for landed vehicles because beyond that distance, they tend to fall through the terrain. I'm not in a hurry to do long range/indirect surface-to-surface weapons because of this.

I took a contract to clear the island runway base thing with 5dim, cleared it with cruise missiles from the launchpad. Have the loading distance at 25km, not noticing anything really. Did airstrike against ground base, didnt see any of the enemy doing weird stuff.

However, an indirect fire/long range artillery option for the howitzer is in fact still relevant at even 10 km :P

ESPECIALLY with hills. I have had problems trying to use a guardian cannon (Stationary howitzer turret thing) at 5 km even, when firing straight.. (And indirect is really hard to do, but when you get it down it works)