[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

At exactly 750m/s, KSP switches on "Krakensbane" which makes it so instead of your ship flying through the universe, your ship is stationary and the world moves around you. Landed vessels that aren't on rails don't survive this transition, and I don't have a fix for it at the moment.

Wow so thats why my tiny planets project has lots of explosions.

Yeah... it was unnecessary to do anything for FAR, the latest update disabled FAR aerodynamics on BDArmory bombs (and has for about a week in the dev build) and has no problems with vessels with them attached. Depending on how you're doing that, you'll get errors thrown instead when FAR can't find the PartModule it was expecting to still be there and starts throwing errors. Please don't do that.

How about missiles? I tested it with missiles on a DLL I got from your git yesterday with no errors, but was still unable to take off with a plane with bombs so I didn't test with bombs. I'll try again.

Edit: I just read your changelog from today. Looks like its just unfortunate timing.

Hotfix 2 coming right up.

Hotfix v0.9.8.2

= Fixes =

- Fixed bomb simpleDrag when using FAR

- No longer removes FAR module from missiles and bombs (Handled in latest FAR update)

Edited by BahamutoD

To add to that, there's also the fact that Space Scumbag is using his own custom Star Wars physics gained through black magic and possibly Kraken worship, and that completely changes how space battles work. Any realistic space battle is likely to happen at extreme ranges, so a very simple AI would probably boil down to trying to keep at whatever range was deemed optimal for that particular ship, while doing small RCS maneuvers to avoid some of the incoming fire, and that would look nothing like a Star Wars battle. Likewise, a more Star Wars-y space AI would be completely useless under normal physics.

If anything, I'd recommend kOS for Space Scumbag's next video, that way the AI would actually work in close range soup-space battles.

You might want to read some of Alastair Reynolds books, he has lots of realistic space battles descriptions. Basically, the one who has more TWR in his ship and missiles usually wins. Smart maneuvering is also very important.

Space combat would require some interception trajectories calculations, but it is quite possible. Nothing like everyone is used to, aka Star Wars and Battlestar tho. More like "fire a missile at a correct time and pull some gees". Physics ranges would be a problem too.

Here's a nice essay: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/essay-on-realistic-space-combat-i-wrote.131056/

Edited by sashan

You might want to read some of Alastair Reynolds books, he has lots of realistic space battles descriptions. Basically, the one who has more TWR in his ship and missiles usually wins. Smart maneuvering is also very important.

Space combat would require some interception trajectories calculations, but it is quite possible. Nothing like everyone is used to, aka Star Wars and Battlestar tho. More like "fire a missile at a correct time and pull some gees". Physics ranges would be a problem too.

Here's a nice essay: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/essay-on-realistic-space-combat-i-wrote.131056/

We have a naval battle club thread for this. There are a lot of maneuver nodes to plot intercepts, but the relative velocity is often low enough that missile hits are possible.

You might want to read some of Alastair Reynolds books, he has lots of realistic space battles descriptions.

As it turns out, he's one of my favorite authors at the moment. I just read On the Steel Breeze a couple of days ago :)

You're right of course, but I find that even slightly modified BDArmory weapons have some difficulties hitting targets at 20km+ ranges, so I don't think you'd need particularly aggressive maneuvers to dodge, at least until we get some higher tech missiles and what not. At the moment we're stuck with relatively low tech battles as far as space is concerned.

Baha, I have a question regarding the explosives. Where can you set the minimum detonation distance closer than 500 meters on a cannon. I am asking because I have been coming up with a concept and I would like to know if it is workable in the current framework of your mod.

You see, I launched a space warship into... well space. I did a quick run to the mun, minmus, and duna. I later returned to LKO but did not have nearly enough fuel to deorbit. So I fired the weapons and used the recoil to get the extra few m/s needed to put it on the ground. While firing the cannons and seeing the accelerometer jump I thought of one word. Orion. Or more specifically the Orion Drive, exhaustitized weapons.

So I did some tests with high recoil guns and found that they tended to either shake themselves apart or had pitiful ISP. It also appears there is no recoil animation. So I was stumped, so I decided to do some testing of my new nuclear bombers and found them to be effective. I also noticed that, when heat was disabled, the ship tended to be exploded in various directions and crashed into the ground. I did some tests and lo and behold, it worked, getting a single mk-3 pod into the air and going nearly 1500 m/s.

So I was wondering if I could make a system where a "weapon" module would fire a single round set to explode after say... 50 meters of travel, or 40 meters behind the pusher plate (a separate entity) and that explosion would affect the pusher plate, and only the pusher plate accelerating it away from the explosion, pushing the rest of the ship with it. It looks like I can set the detonation range to 50 meters, I am just wondering what I must do to do that.

Baha, I have a question regarding the explosives. Where can you set the minimum detonation distance closer than 500 meters on a cannon. I am asking because I have been coming up with a concept and I would like to know if it is workable in the current framework of your mod.

You see, I launched a space warship into... well space. I did a quick run to the mun, minmus, and duna. I later returned to LKO but did not have nearly enough fuel to deorbit. So I fired the weapons and used the recoil to get the extra few m/s needed to put it on the ground. While firing the cannons and seeing the accelerometer jump I thought of one word. Orion. Or more specifically the Orion Drive, exhaustitized weapons.

So I did some tests with high recoil guns and found that they tended to either shake themselves apart or had pitiful ISP. It also appears there is no recoil animation. So I was stumped, so I decided to do some testing of my new nuclear bombers and found them to be effective. I also noticed that, when heat was disabled, the ship tended to be exploded in various directions and crashed into the ground. I did some tests and lo and behold, it worked, getting a single mk-3 pod into the air and going nearly 1500 m/s.

So I was wondering if I could make a system where a "weapon" module would fire a single round set to explode after say... 50 meters of travel, or 40 meters behind the pusher plate (a separate entity) and that explosion would affect the pusher plate, and only the pusher plate accelerating it away from the explosion, pushing the rest of the ship with it. It looks like I can set the detonation range to 50 meters, I am just wondering what I must do to do that.

If you're looking to exploit ordnance for an Orion Drive-style propulsion system, why not simply use the existing Orion add-on?

If you're looking to exploit ordnance for an Orion Drive-style propulsion system, why not simply use the existing Orion add-on?

That was my original plan; however, it seems to be experiencing functionality problems, primarily in the bomb deployment stage; the fix does not help. Because it appears that the Dev has, quite regrettably, been unable to continue the project for the time being I have little hope in a fix coming out soon.

Thus I believe the best solution would be to rig up a system using BD armory, with a separate pusher plate, pulse unit dispenser, and pulse unit racks rather than attempting to mess with the code used to make the original orion mod.

What does the HE-KV use for lockon as well as the two cruise missiles?

I too am having some issues with the HE-KV. Satellites don't show up on radar at close range (not sure if they need to have AI on board or anything along those lines), and the missiles just fire straight ahead.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm looking forward to taking out half of Kerbin's access to social media websites.

Currently the bombs are in CCIP, the reticule shows where the bomb will land when you pull the trigger. I do not think that CCRP is within the realm of possibility for BD armory because of the complexity. It would be nice though!

Hey Baha, is there a chance we can make a GPS targeted MLRS missile? Just wanted to build some rocket barrage systems...

I think that is already possible you could use the targetting if the JDAMs to guide the missile in AGM mode, at least thats what I would think should work ^^

That was my original plan; however, it seems to be experiencing functionality problems, primarily in the bomb deployment stage; the fix does not help. Because it appears that the Dev has, quite regrettably, been unable to continue the project for the time being I have little hope in a fix coming out soon.

Thus I believe the best solution would be to rig up a system using BD armory, with a separate pusher plate, pulse unit dispenser, and pulse unit racks rather than attempting to mess with the code used to make the original orion mod.

The weapon needs to be "weaponType = cannon", with "airDetonation = true", and you can set the default detonation range with "defaultDetonationRange = 1234"

Edit: I just remembered that this is a tweakable slider, and it has a hardcoded minimum of 500m.

Guess what I'm working on right now?

98ed82a116.png

Edited by BahamutoD

The weapon needs to be "weaponType = cannon", with "airDetonation = true", and you can set the default detonation range with "defaultDetonationRange = 1234"

Edit: I just remembered that this is a tweakable slider, and it has a hardcoded minimum of 500m.

http://puu.sh/jPs2C/98ed82a116.png

OMG! Yes! Ai improvements i may guess......

http://puu.sh/jPs2C/98ed82a116.png

The AI modules can now use Burn Together for formations? That would be cool. Or any formation flying really.

Hey BahaD I know this isn't the thread for this inparticular, but making a new thread seemed like a waste, but what happened to the heat refraction you were working on for jet engines? Thanks!

Hey BD I see you have added the line "radarLOAL = true" for the amraam a couple of patches back.

My radar guided air to air missiles seem to work fine with or without it, so I was wondering what exactly does it do?