Abandon Your Saves

Sandworm

I see many people wanting Squad to do or not do something to protect past saves. Squad shouldn't care about anyone's saves. I am no fan of the "it's alpha" argument but we cannot ignore that this game is deep in development. Long-term decisions about the game's direction should not hinge on whether a particular change in a particular patch will break some saves. Career mode should, must, render all career saves practically unplayable. Do we really want Squad making any decisions on how contracts work in the future simply to preserve old saves today? What about a change to a key part? Does anyone really want to prevent a part being improved simply to preserve their precious space station?

The contracts system is forever. Your saves will be forgotten in a couple months at most. Abandon them now.

Just because something NEW such as contracts is being added, does NOT 100% promise the detonation of our current saves. I myself have made certain my vessels are ready to roll out in a new save should my current break. Preparation is everything.

I have vessels in flight right now with ion drives on them, and with the update in .23.5 that added more power to them, they did not break, nor did the saves, the parts got tweaked, thats all. I am certain that they have thought far enough ahead to cope with such things as games in progress.

I'm sure someone will compare a pre-0.24 save and an 0.24 save and post what's needed to make it compatible.

assuming it breaks. I came in just as .21 hit, and ive not yet seen a save break from an update. Did it happen prior? yup, but not lately, I for one, see HOW it could happen, but am not anticipating it. Prepped though I may be.

assuming it breaks. I came in just as .21 hit, and ive not yet seen a save break from an update. Did it happen prior? yup, but not lately, I for one, see HOW it could happen, but am not anticipating it. Prepped though I may be.

I'm also anticipating some sort of workaround. They could always either strip current career saves down to sandbox mode, or autoinsert the necessary sections in the save file.

I've never seen so much drama about such a minor thing, and I have seen a LOT of drama run through this place.

Save files are text files. They can be edited.

IF they are broken by the update (and that is a BIG if) then just wait until someone makes a script to fix them. If you have more patience than the average three year old, this will be easy.

However, even if nothing breaks, you need to think logically about how this will work for a minute.

Parts cost money to launch.

You don't start with much money, so you won't be able to launch your stupidly large rocket that costs a billion dollars.

You start with neutral reputation (I guess?) so you will earn money slowly at 1st

You'll have to complete contracts (probably with parts from low in the science tree) to earn money and unlock better contracts and so on, or however progression ends up working.

In any event, you're starting from the beginning, whether or not you have science unlocked and lots of things in flight.

So prepare yourself to start fresh, either totally or in a limited manner. you have unrealistic expectations if you think it'll work any other way.

I've never seen so much drama about such a minor thing, and I have seen a LOT of drama run through this place.

Save files are text files. They can be edited.

IF they are broken by the update (and that is a BIG if) then just wait until someone makes a script to fix them. If you have more patience than the average three year old, this will be easy.

However, even if nothing breaks, you need to think logically about how this will work for a minute.

Parts cost money to launch.

You don't start with much money, so you won't be able to launch your stupidly large rocket that costs a billion dollars.

You start with neutral reputation (I guess?) so you will earn money slowly at 1st

You'll have to complete contracts (probably with parts from low in the science tree) to earn money and unlock better contracts and so on, or however progression ends up working.

In any event, you're starting from the beginning, whether or not you have science unlocked and lots of things in flight.

So prepare yourself to start fresh, either totally or in a limited manner. you have unrealistic expectations if you think it'll work any other way.

oddly enough, this is how I figured it could work. I always assumed that what was ALREADY in flight, was there, free of charge or w/e, and that we need to build up to be able to SERVICE that stuff. BUT, if thats not the case, and we are forced back to day one, then, ya know what? So what. If I can rebuild my missions: read: get the money to launch my ships, then, its all good. I am ready. Bring what may come!

<moar words>

This is why I'm not too worried about it. The video that just came out said the the first contract is always the same and never expires: launch a rocket. Since it never expires, it should still become available in a pre-0.24 save, provided that 0.24 can load pre-0.24 saves.

I'd just like to see the devs or someone who actually knows give a solid answer on this.

This is why I'm not too worried about it. The video that just came out said the the first contract is always the same and never expires: launch a rocket. Since it never expires, it should still become available in a pre-0.24 save, provided that 0.24 can load pre-0.24 saves.

I'd just like to see the devs or someone who actually knows give a solid answer on this.

you and me both lethal. you and me both.

Not worried about it. I think it would defeat the purpose of the update to suddenly impose budgets on your massive space empire... I'm going to keep .23.5 separately (it also contains my saves from .23 and .22 that I don't actually play anymore) and make a new install. Seems like the only way to properly experience this update. I'd feel horribly cheated if I continued my current game after the update, whether it made me start from zero and work my way up or it would "catch up" to my progress and go from there.

No

I never play career so this update (apart from 64 bit and the vernier engine) is *almost* pointless (don't yell at me for saying this as 64 bit is possibly the best thing squad has done since i got KSP in .18)

your choice, but, it isnt pointless, as it helps bring this game yet one more step closer to finished :) NOW, if they suddenly updated us back to .15, then, yea, that would be pointless, but any advance they make, including going to 64 bit support, is anything but pointless over all. :)

I've made it a practice to store save games from previous versions before starting fresh with new versions. Being the alpha stage, it is definitely possible to have broken saves due to new features being added. Once the game hits closer to final release, chance of saves being broken are normally lower (though can still happen as evidenced in several retail games after several patches later).

I always start fresh with each new iteration of the game. For me, half of the fun and challenge is those first few steps up the ladder, and I enjoy finding new ways of going about it all.

i already nuke my saves every time a new version comes out. if i saved everything i did in ksp, and kept every mod, the game would take forever to load, crash, or be very unplayable.

I`d guess that sandbox is safe. Your career saves are doomed.

I`d also say that the updates from here on won`t do much for sandbox. Sandbox has been declared feature complete and career is the focus now.

I've made it a practice to store save games from previous versions before starting fresh with new versions. Being the alpha stage, it is definitely possible to have broken saves due to new features being added. Once the game hits closer to final release, chance of saves being broken are normally lower (though can still happen as evidenced in several retail games after several patches later).

I save the entire previous game but would probably start a new game anyway, mods will not work with carrier mode of 0.24 because of all the changes so it will use some time adjusting.

I dont really know how they could improve career from now? apart from adding more biomes what could they do?

Well they are just about to add money and rep and missions as an example. They could add more `stuff to do` on EVA for SCIENCE!

there are still improvements left, don`t worry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.