ATLAS. is there a need in it despite of FASA????

DennyTX

I think there is definitely a need for the Atlas family of rockets and even the Delta family of rockets. I mean considering that almost every satellite, prober, lander, and rover, were most likely launched by some sort of atlas or delta, they are surprisingly absent from this game. I think if you are going to undertake the Atlas family, you should do it in a matter that might be a little less detailed and memory consuming so people can get the most use out of it. I mean all of your models are beautiful but I guarantee if you make a pack for the Atlas family it will be extremely popular and heavily used to launch probs, satellites, etc. With the new contracts coming a pack or platform like that could be really useful. So long story short, I don't think you should do the Atlas 1 but the any of the other variants, would say yes there is a need. atlasfam.jpg

Would absolutely have a use for this. Probably my very favorite LV family. I think we need more then just the FASA one, because that's really devoted to Agena and Mercury, and it'd be awesome to have a more modular version for other upper stages like Nathan said.

Short answer: Yes.

Slightly longer answer: Oh god yes.

Fully detailed answer: The Atlas family of LVs is sadly underrepresented here. As nice as the FASA Atlas is... it has issues. A full development of the Atlas (from ICBM to the proposed Atlas V CBC cluster) would be an outstanding effort, and the upper stages used would be a welcome addition as well. Just off the top of my head, the Atlas flew successfully with:

-no upper stage

-Agena

-Centaur

Atlas also flew (unsucessfully) with the Able upper stage.

Yes there is a definite need for more choices... The early atlas rockets are neat looking and FASA's is amazing, but with the level of detail you go into and just the quality of your mods... Oh man... And I'd love to see the later atlas rockets, it would add a lot of variety to more modern looking rocket parts, rather than just being limited to KW and possibly AIES as well.

Maybe the Aries 1 rocket from the sadly canceled constellation missions?

• 3 months later...

I know its been a while Denny but if you have anything completely with this or any of the rockets in the Atlas family please release them. I promise you people will download them. A lot of modders are working on probe parts and they are very vogue right now in KSP. As are historical and futuristic real world crafts. The Atlas and Delta family rockets are glaringly absent in KSP. Atlas and Delta rockets are arguably the most important rockets ever because they have launched basically everything at least on the American side. I implore you, if you have anything done with these rockets please release them or continue working on them

Many Thanks,

Sal

I've got the beginnings of a very low-detail Atlas V 402 modelled as part of my Dreamer package, and I posted the .blend in the abandoned model thread. With a texture pass and handful of fairings, it could be a releasable mod pretty quickly. The .blend is at :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otg068p8nbhqb82/AtlasV.zip?dl=0

It's not overly detailed... because I decided I'd rather spend my memory and cpu cycles on the payload vehicle that you fly the mission with, instead of the launcher that you drop in the first 3 minutes. But it's a start. And the emphasis is definitely on making it a useful launcher. The centaur stage is 2.5m, so it will interface with some existing payloads and fairings. That makes the CCB a weird size, but I built the interstage into the CCB tank, so it terminates at 2.5 m as well, so you could put different upper stages on it if you wanted. Perhaps judiciously merging bits of the very detailed mesh in the first post with a lower poly model could be useful?

It's fully fliable as part of my Dreamer mod, if you want to see it in game. Again, the launcher is nothing special, but it's free for use if you'd like it.

You can sort of see pics of it here:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Anyway - feel free to use my .blend and .cfg files if that's helpful at all! There's also another Atlas V, the 401 configuration, in the abandoned model thread, by Clueless Modeller. I looked at it and it looks like he's done a nice job, but nothing like the OP from this thread.

Edited by artwhaley

The FASA Atlas and other parts are scaled to be more or less compatible with stock part diameters, that is they are Kerbal versions of NASA spacecraft, not replicas.

Certainly an expansion of those parts to complete the whole family would be nice, but a separate project in accurate proportions would be a good thing too.

wow, old topic rise up. well, typically motivation is simple, if my pictures gathering some rep, i'll going to finish (public relise) the project, otherwise - will do stuff for home use...

Edited by DennyTX

The Atlas might be my favorite launcher, and I find that I need to make it out of spare parts from various mods and hack them together when I make one. The FASA Atlas does not make a good 541. The actual Atlas mod itself does not make a good Atlas, oddly. I end up with a tank from here, an engine from there, and especially a GOOD Centaur has been hard to find so again I make one from spare parts. I'd love to see the whole family made properly.

I'd love a new Atlas. :) FASA one is only suited for Atlas-D, not to mention it has nothing regarding Atlas II and later versions. It also has no Castor boosters nor upper stages that were historically used with it, so there's a lot of things that could be done.

wow, old topic rise up. well, typically motivation is simple, if my pictures gathering some rep, i'll going to finish (public relise) the project, otherwise - will do stuff for home use...

Are you telling me that all we need to do is give you rep and you will work on this and release?! Done!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would also like to see something happening in this direction. Looks very promising from your images Denny.

And I don't want to promote my mod (please don't think that), but an Atlas V is in development/texturing. And from the parts wwe've made for Atlas V we can use many parts for Atlas III and II. So you can expect to havreat least Atlas V, III and II in the future. If Denny makes the older ones (Agena etc), we would have a complete Atlas family up in no time!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.