[WIP] Pack-Rat Modular Rover

RoverDude

Very nice job, i will waiting this little muncar. It would be nice to have a mid section frame if we want to make a longer rover with side nodes to be able to stick more wheels.

Oh, btw you guys are talking about build stuff with KAS. I did it to and encounter some... problems. I built a rover (several times) for mun/minmus exploring and almost everytime I sticked a wheel on the rovemate hull it bounced and flew 30m away... It even happend to blow one wheel when "landing".

xdqKnXr.png

Oh, btw you guys are talking about build stuff with KAS. I did it to and encounter some... problems. I built a rover (several times) for mun/minmus exploring and almost everytime I sticked a wheel on the rovemate hull it bounced and flew 30m away... It even happend to blow one wheel when "landing".

I wonder if that Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod could reduce that problem with it's Physics Easing?

Edit: Just saw the new video (Next Page). Building it on the pylon as a work bench might help keep it from floating away or exploding.

Edited by Tommygun

Success!

A fully KAS-able Rover. Lost patience as I was making this video while preparing to head to work - I will do something prettier later showing all of the bits (and I need to do a training vid anyway). Will also rename parts so folks know the right order for assembly, but it works beautifully!

Probably the only finicky bit right now is the six cargo bays - tough to select order for them, though I have some tricks in mind. Other than that, release will be today. There will be a custom KAS container to go with - both as an inline and as a radial - to hold all of the bits and some change.

Spectacular work, cant wait to utilize this as I have yet to come up with a reliable way of delivering an assembled rover. One question however, why do to wheel-well fenders glow so brightly? Will they be that bright in any circumstance, such as on the dark side of Mun?

Spectacular work, cant wait to utilize this as I have yet to come up with a reliable way of delivering an assembled rover. One question however, why do to wheel-well fenders glow so brightly? Will they be that bright in any circumstance, such as on the dark side of Mun?

Glow in the dark tape :) And yes, they will always glow without drawing power, so you can find your Rover in the dark.

So here's the deal. In light of KAS issues with 0.24.... I am still going to release this ;)

It works just fine assembled in the VAB, and even had the node already set up for a port/clamp.

So KAS will be provided as-is (works just fine), but I need to whip together a container for it. It's just a hair larger than a 2.5, so I may do two - a 2.5 with bump-outs, and a slightly prettier 3.75 version (which it fits in perfectly). there will also be an MKS version that uses the same landing gear as the Module Base.

Toyed briefly with scaling it down, but it just makes it too unstable (I was just doing some drifting around the KSP at 15m/s without a hitch...), and you really do want the longer wheelbase. Plus, it's sweet spot is less 'move a singler Kerbal around' and more 'I need a solid workhorse that can haul kerbals, gear, and equipment on long hauls'.

So now's the last chance for any requests before I stick a fork in this ;)

So here's the deal. In light of KAS issues with 0.24.... I am still going to release this ;)

It works just fine assembled in the VAB, and even had the node already set up for a port/clamp.

So KAS will be provided as-is (works just fine), but I need to whip together a container for it. It's just a hair larger than a 2.5, so I may do two - a 2.5 with bump-outs, and a slightly prettier 3.75 version (which it fits in perfectly). there will also be an MKS version that uses the same landing gear as the Module Base.

Toyed briefly with scaling it down, but it just makes it too unstable (I was just doing some drifting around the KSP at 15m/s without a hitch...), and you really do want the longer wheelbase. Plus, it's sweet spot is less 'move a singler Kerbal around' and more 'I need a solid workhorse that can haul kerbals, gear, and equipment on long hauls'.

So now's the last chance for any requests before I stick a fork in this ;)

First off- "Oooooh, pretty!" ~Munfry Kerman.

Secondly- Maybe a two-seater version without the camera? Or maybe even a "family van" version without the storage space but with seats for a total of six?

First off- "Oooooh, pretty!" ~Munfry Kerman.

Secondly- Maybe a two-seater version without the camera? Or maybe even a "family van" version without the storage space but with seats for a total of six?

Oh, the beauty of it is that you have six attachment nodes - so any combination of boxes, seats, cameras, or whatever else you want (it fits a standard 0.625m object), and you're golden ;)

Oh, the beauty of it is that you have six attachment nodes - so any combination of boxes, seats, cameras, or whatever else you want (it fits a standard 0.625m object), and you're golden ;)

Oh. I may have missed the video where you demonstrate just that...

Maybe a less... um... flimsy cover for cargo then? I wouldn't imagine this thing holding up too well in a Duna dust storm (lets pretend that's a thing)...

Looks great so far, can't wait to try it out!

Wrapping it up even as we speak.

Decided to go cheap and cheerful for release (I run a development team as my day job, so I'm all about iterating fast), offering an open-cage Rover Delivery System in a 2.5m form factor - just something nice folks can mount their own decouplers, fairings, and legs to that fits the PackRat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.