[1.1.x] Speedy's Hex Truss System

SpeedyB

I would love to see what you have.

Here is a link to a Fuel Tank that has an RCS tank as well. The ZIP file contains two folders:

1. GameData.

2. Development. this contains

a. BLENDER file

b. FBX export file from Blender

c. Unity project folder: Just the Models, Textures, and Materials assets. All other assets are the same in every project

d. PNG files for textures just for the Monopropellant tank. I've included two versions. I don't have the font that SpeedyB used, but I used one that is close. One PNG has the text; the other does not.

Note: I used MBM files versus TGA files. Unity outputs several versions of TGA files; I was uncertain of the one you used for the other Trusses. If you re-generate this in Unity and use the same version of TGA as you used on the other truss models, then you need use only the texture file and CFG file that I created. Unity will recreate the MU file.

Hex Truss Tank with RCS

The Hex Trusses thoughtfully provided a third, unused pipe. that's what I use for the monoprop. This image also shows the standard Hex Truss End Cap on the bottom. I based mass on the standard Truss; four segments at 0.2 each. So this five-segment truss has a mass of 1.0. I also added proportional mass for the tank as well as for cost in career mode. the piece is found in the Structure area and requires the same tech tree level as the other regular Hex Truss Fuel Tank.

Note to all users: I could not have accomplished this so quickly if it were not for SpeedyB. His files provided the models, base textures, and UV unwrapping (very essential). SpeedyB gets all the credit here. I just built a bit upon his accomplishments. I would be pleased if SpeedyB includes this in the next version.

9pGCycY.jpg

Edited by Apollo13

Concept art for possible Cargo Bay. The walls have thickness, so things can be stored inside and not show through. I purposely chose to put the walls inside the truss stiles and rails, because I really enjoy SpeedyB's artwork for those; they make the truss system unique. This is actually the Hex Long Truss hollowed out. The door, of course, will be animated. The brown color is placeholder material.

uVeWIKW.jpg

OGvyw3x.jpg

That's nice! How about a life support truss? Electricity, monoprop, maybe space for some life support resources?

Thanks. I am creating a part based on the Snacks simplified life support system.

Edited by Apollo13

I have big plans for cargo trusses. I'll be working with Rover Dude on a fancy cargo system.

You're fortunate to enlist a modder with RoverDude's experience and expertise. Should make for some nice parts. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Apollo13

Would be really nice to have more sizes for various parts types. For instance, each truss could have 1-, 2-, 3-section variants. Plus, TweakScale support would be really great. Nice job anyways :) Looking forward to updates :)

Would be really nice to have more sizes for various parts types. For instance, each truss could have 1-, 2-, 3-section variants.

SpeedyB has provided Trusses with 1-, 2-, and 3- sections. Or, am I missing something in your request?

Plus, TweakScale support would be really great.

I had this in post # 44: Tweakscale for Hex Trusses

Just put it into "GameData\TweakScale" with the other config files

Edited by Apollo13

SpeedyB has provided Trusses with 1-, 2-, and 3- sections. Or, am I missing something in your request?

Haven't found fuel tank truss with the sizes less than 4 sections. Plus, some additional fuel types tanks would be nice.

The mod has a great potential for stations "lego" mod :) Will keep watching the progress.

Haven't found fuel tank truss with the sizes less than 4 sections.

That would mean some pretty small tanks. LOL

Plus, some additional fuel types tanks would be nice..

Well...you can always kinda cheat. Just take one of the Tank trusses and change or add the RESOURCE in the part.cfg file. That's what I did to add Monopropellant for RCS before I made my mod. See my post #51

Idea: how about giving the door 2-3 hinges, so that it folds into the smaller side right underneath, out of the way?

Actually thought about that; making it a bi-fold door. Once I ensured I could export the basic model, with the multitude of colliders, to Unity and had it textured, that was to be my next step.

Great minds, etc...

That would mean some pretty small tanks. LOL

Well...you can always kinda cheat. Just take one of the Tank trusses and change or add the RESOURCE in the part.cfg file. That's what I did to add Monopropellant for RCS before I made my mod. See my post #51

Well, of course you can cheat, but it doesn't make mod better :)

Nice station Genolution!

Kerbal stuff link added.

I do have a plan for solar panels. I want to make a truss covered in solar panels like you said. I also want to make a truss with a revolving center that has large panels sticking out like the ISS. Kind of like an inline solar panel.

Not sure if I'll get to hat this version. Things are slow now that school's started.

JebEx

Across Kerbin...

Across the Kerbol System...

We deliver.

While in the VAB, you store/attach parts inside the cargo bay. If you have KAS installed, you can remove those batteries, solar panels, whatever and install them on other vessels.

xJt2N1k.jpg

After I tweak the model a tad, I'll make it available. My contribution to SpeedyB's cargo carrier system.

Edited by Apollo13

@Genolution: LOL. You may also want to look at the Fuel Tank I posted in post # 76. It is based on SpeedyB's Fuel Tank and adds an RCS monoprop component.

And, a great looking station it is, too. I might also suggest that you look at the Station Science mod (not my mod, just a user). You'll add more parts to your station and DO SCIENCE!!!

EDIT:

JebEx Hex Truss mod available here

See install description file in archive for details

Edited by Apollo13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.